Ever kind of admired a telemarketer?

sputnik

I have to retract my first post on factual grounds. My mother in law never sounded like that. What would happen is she would have talked to the guy for 20 minutes, he never would get a chance to pitch the product, and would feel like the AFLAC duck in the barbershop with Yogi Berra at the end of the commercial. She is however now deep into alzheimers or whatever dementia applies.

I could never be a psychiatrist (I don't even know if I spelled it right.) Trying to delve into whatever abyss it is that so distorts that lady's mental balance would be too utterly exhausting and depressing. I really do admire the people that can enter that sphere and actually help people. At the superficial level, it's fascinationg how the brain malfunctions but if I were a Doc facing that every day, I would just prescribe lobotomies, heavy sedation, and electroshock for all.

I really do admire the people that can enter that sphere and actually help people. l.

who's to say ... They .. are actually .. helping ..?

That's a good point. I'm sure some practioners (intentionally or not) just build a dependence on counseling etc. but there must be some good ones out there that actually do some good. What an uphill battle though.

It's not quite the same but I have a friend who is an occupational therapist. She was once telling me how one of her patients could finally use a spoon after several long months of work. It took a lot of effort to get her patient to that point and while being able to use a spoon is certainly very important to an individual, she didn't really have any sense of accomplishment - she just felt exhausted. I do admire the people that can hang in there and do that kind of work with very little reward. I doubt that I could stay motivated.

The way to handle a telemarketer is to use up their time.

Sound enthusiastic and say that you are going to talk to your spouse and get the checkbook/credit card...

Come back and say that your spouse is in the shower, hang on...

Make some coffee, wash some dishes.

Come back and say your spouse is out of the shower and you will be ready to buy in a few minutes...

Listen to an album.

Come back and say that you are still looking for your checkbook/credit card, hang on...

And on and on, the idea is to see how long you can keep them on the phone.

• Like 1

I once took a temp job through a temp agency and they had me doing something very close to telemarketing. The thing was the paper company I went to NEVER came close to saying the word "telemarketing". I would up calling companies that made currogated cardboard asking what size machine they used.

When asked if I am available, my standard answer is "Why?"

I've
had a couple telemarketers mention they have never been asked that, and
that it threw them a bit. When I first answer and say "hello?", if
there is no response (while one of the call-pickers patches onto the
line, I don't say "hello?" a second time. I just hang up.

To
this day, my parents have a sign on their front door that reads
something like this: "Marketers, we feel we are fine the way we are. If
anything changes, we won't hesitate to call you, but untill
then...you're trespassing!"