KG4 HOW MUCH POWER TO DRIVE THESE SPEAKERS ?

ghost87

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS , I JUST BOUGHT A PAIR OF KG4'S AND I KNOW THEY SHOULD SOUND MUCH BETTER THAN THEY DO, THEY ARE IN GREAT SHAPE AND EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD INSIDE. BUT THESE SPEAKERS JUST DONT HAVE THE PUNCH I HAVE HEARD IN OTHER KG4'S.

GRANTED I HAVE A SONY SURROUND SOUND AMP MODEL #STR-K750P WHICH I'M NOT SURE OF WATT WISE, AND I'M SURE IT IS WATT CHALLENGED OR HANDICAPPED, THE SPEAKERS SOUND CLEAN BUT THE WOOFERS IN THE BACK ARE NOT PRODUCING THE SOUND YOU WOULD EXPECT FROM THESE SPEAKERS IT COMES THROUGH FAINT AT BEST. SOMEBODY HELP ME, DO I NEED A MORE POWERFUL AMP ? CAN I ADD AN AMP TO DRIVE THESE SPEAKERS ? OR ?

OK PETE,YES YOUR CORRECT THEY ARE PASSIVE RADIATORS, BUT CAN YOU HELP ME OUT HERE. I'M TRYING TO UPGRADE MY SYSTEM AND AFTER LOOKING AROUND THE FORUM, I'M FINDING OUT MY PROBLEM COULD BE WHATS MISSING IN MY LIFE & THAT COULD BE A TUBE AMP. YEARS AGO I HAD A PAIR OF JBL L-100'S AND A PIONEER SX-750 AMP THAT SYSTEM ROCKED & I MISS THAT SOUND IT WOULD SHAKE THE WALLS, RATTLE THE WINDOWS AND AT LOWER VOLUMES SOUND RICH AND FULL. ALL I'M TRYING TO DO IS GET BACK TO THE GOOD OLD DAYS. ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

1 and a half to 2 feet from the back wall if you can...toe'd in a bit (varies to 45 degrees)...these don't need much power at all...since you have them hooked up to a surround sound receiver...are you listening to them in 2 channel? If so, are they set to small and no sub woofer?...if listening to them in 2 channel, they should be set to large (or a bypass of some sort)...you should get PLENTY of bass with these...can you get them close to outer walls too???...the kg line was not made for Tube equipment (it will certainly do well BUT it was made for Solid State and should sound great with it)...I got great sound with kg2s and a Nakamichi STASIS receiver of 45 wpc...you should get great results too...kg4s are probably the most beloved of the kg line...enjoy, stick around here and soon, you will be listening to what you want to be hearing I bet!

Bill

Oh My, you'll love the KG4's on Tubes............I've owned KG4's for 17+ years, I think they are a very nice 2 way speaker, having that out of the way, To get that sound you miss from the JBL's, you will need a different speaker, a bigger,probably 3 way Klipsch, many choices. KG4's run out of music by half volume, their acoustic output is limited, in my opinion, and the Heresy, Forte, Cornwall, Chorus would serve you better, again, just my view. If the Kg4's are what you stay with, my Scott 299 makes them pump pretty good, and at lower volumes, they are excellent. Scott, Dynaco, Ecio, Fisher get alot of praise here...........lots of choices...........Good Luck...

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE REPLIES, YES I HAVE THEM IN THE CORNERS & ABOUT 18" OUT FROM THE WALL, ALSO I HAVE TRIED THEM BOTH WAYS 2 CHANNEL AND SURROUND, SURROUND SEEMS TO SOUND BETTER ALONG WITH THE SUB. ROOM DIMENSIONS ARE ABOUT 25 X 18' WITH CATHEDRAL CEILINGS AND POT SHELFS WHERE THE SURROUND SOUND SPEAKERS ARE LOCATED. JUST TRYING TO GET A BETTER SOUND, THE VOLUME IS FINE IT'S THE TONE I'M AFTER.

THANKS ! FOR THE ADVICE

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS , I JUST BOUGHT A PAIR OF KG4'S AND I KNOW THEY SHOULD SOUND MUCH BETTER THAN THEY DO, THEY ARE IN GREAT SHAPE AND EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD INSIDE. BUT THESE SPEAKERS JUST DONT HAVE THE PUNCH I HAVE HEARD IN OTHER KG4'S.

GRANTED I HAVE A SONY SURROUND SOUND AMP MODEL #STR-K750P WHICH I'M NOT SURE OF WATT WISE, AND I'M SURE IT IS WATT CHALLENGED OR HANDICAPPED, THE SPEAKERS SOUND CLEAN BUT THE WOOFERS IN THE BACK ARE NOT PRODUCING THE SOUND YOU WOULD EXPECT FROM THESE SPEAKERS IT COMES THROUGH FAINT AT BEST. SOMEBODY HELP ME, DO I NEED A MORE POWERFUL AMP ? CAN I ADD AN AMP TO DRIVE THESE SPEAKERS ? OR ?

" IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION, IT'S THE JOURNEY"

You are seeking advice but first, welcome to the forum.

Many opinions here and a very knowledgeable group of great guys and some with a fantastic sense of humor.

You came to the right place.

First, stop typing in all caps, its really pissing me off. That was the humor part.

Your Pioneer / L100 combo would rock the walls and sound great but now you have a POS receiver, dont expect the same.

If you are on a tight budget score a nice Scott 299 or a Fisher 400 and you will not regret it.

Thanks for the welcome, and as far as the caps, it's a bad habit of mine and thanks for the humor.

Scott 299 & Fisher 400 , I will research this. I always associated Fisher with cheap stack sytle stereo systems.

Thanks again, you all sound very knowledgeable

First, make sure you don't have your speaker wire leads reversed on one of your speakers. This may sound silly but it happens more than people will admit.

I have a pair of KG4. The person I bought them from was using an inexpensive integrated tube amp. I was suprised by just how good it sounded. I'm using a solid state receiver with them, and bass is definitely there. You should be getting pretty good bass with those speakers, so if the speaker leads are connected right, it could be your receiver.

I used an NAD receiver with my KG4s (bought new in mid-80's and still in place in my living room) and it was fine with bass. I'm now using a Fisher 101 integrated tube amp (about 35wpc) and it also does great with them. (Picked up The Fisher off a craigslist for about $250. It's a 1959.)