Klipsch Headphones/Earphones

dtel's wife

There are a lot of rave reviews on the Klipsch phones from people who aren't big headphone types, it sounds like.

I think I might fall into that category...but for what it's worth, I've tried pretty much all sorts of IEM and normal headphones too. I hate stating it this way, but the Klipsch stuff is nothing like anything else I've ever tried. Without a doubt I could enjoy the Klipsch headphones, but the only problem is I don't do any activities where I don't have huge Klipsch floorstanders available. Heck, I've even got Klipsch in the labs at school now [H]

Speaking of school....I think Klipsch should make a marketing push towards the college market. Everyone on campus is running around with headphones...and it's usually not the cheap stuff either.

Hi Doc,

How are things going at school? Hope you are getting good grades, staying away from the bad girls and going to bed on time. [|-)]

You make a great point about selling IE's to the college crowd. We definitely want to market to this genre, due to their expensive tastes and extraordinary IQ. What would you recommend for getting the word out, and what distribution points would be effective in reaching the students? Are they more of a direct buyer since they are so PC savvy or do I need to look into book stores?

As far as your applications, don't you ever have late nights that you can't crank your Klipsch Heritage Speakers up or that you might need more noise isolation for studying or is it that you are such a brain and hang out with bad girls all night long so you don't need to study? Hey if you are so smart have you ever thought of interning at Klipsch? I am not sure if the bad girls can join you though. [;)]

I also want to put a warm welcome out to the Head-fi crowd. I haven't mentioned it yet but I want to send a demo set out to the main guy for eval as soon as samples free up. I realize that the Head-fi Forum is significant and I promise not to ignore them.

Stick that Rock in your ear!

..........................................The musical genre that is.

To be honest, I probably don't represent the normal college crowd. I'm

that nerd slaving away in labs every night, leading a bunch of clubs

and trying to learn everything about audio at the same time. My idea of

"going out" is sitting down at Jimmy John's at 1am to do homework and

hoping the random drunk girls take pity and give us

free food. The nice part about all this is we can crank tunes in the

lab since nobody is around to bother. At home, I pretty much take a

direct path to and from the bed. I picked my apartment because it had

the best acoustics of all the apartments on campus, yet I never get to

listen at home very much...which is why my speakers are in the lab. Of

course all my labs involve audio so it works out well. I can't believe

people get paid to do audio, or in my case get college credit - it's

way too much fun.

As far as marketing to the college world, I can only comment on what

seems to work on my campus. Basically, thousands of people walk across

the Quad everyday and anything that involves "free something" without

the risk of spam or whatever becomes a very popular event real fast.

Free food works extremely well and will result in people waiting in

line for hours, but that might be too expensive since you might end up

feeding 20,000 students if you're not careful. If you wanted to do it

on our campus specifically, you would probably have to go through some

kind of club. I'm the vice president for the local AES campus chapter

so it would be easy to swing. In fact, there are AES campus

chapters all over the country and they would jump at the opportunity to

have an audio company representative swing by. Rock the ear

college campus tour?

As far as actually selling the product, your best bet would probably be

direct from the website. Getting popular on sites like HeadFi is a great approach too.

If anything, you might consider the bookstores

on campus. They're far more than bookstores nowadays - in fact, they

have less books than other stuff! It's not that they have a

shortage of books, they just have a crap load of other stuff. The

Apple store and other similar techy type stores might be good places

too. Have you guys ever considered hooking up with Apple and doing

their headphones for them? "Smallest in the world" seems right up the

iPod philosophy. You guys could provide the high-end alternative to their mainstream cheapy things.

Whatever you end up doing, I think it would be extremely vital to

include techy type brochures that explain why Klipsch products are so

awesome....the point being that this would include info on all of the

Klipsch lines.

If I can go off on a slight tangent, Klipsch isn't a very well known

brand name in my generation. My friends all roll their eyes every time I

mention Klipsch, but most everyone else just looks at me like I sneezed

or something. I've actually "sold" quite a few Promedia

Ultra 5.1 systems since they make perfect dorm/apartment surround

systems and just about every one of those people has then made the same

recommendation to their friends that have made the same purchase too. I

dunno if the trend has continued, but the Klipsch products just smoke

everything at the same price point and that makes a huge impression on

everyone I know. The cool thing is that all of my friends intend to

purchase Klipsch surround systems when they graduate from college and

are financially secure and all that. I'm sure my closer friends will

seek my advice and I'll help them go way overboard (is there such a

thing?), but I think that would happen without my influence anyway. I

fully expect Klipsch to be around for another 80 years and the

graduating college generations are going to be making that

happen. Right now, the Best Buy

configuration is turning off a lot of college folk - the product just isn't

being displayed properly.

Anyways, them's my 2 cents on the college world. Have times changed

much? I could never imagine going through college without

computers...talk about information starvation, let alone cramps from

chiseling stone tablets! [:o][:P][;)]

I was just thinking...Klipsch would probably make a better impression

on a campus if they mentioned that they're huge in the movie cinema

industry. Heck, just showing up with a full blown MWM system next to

the headphones is sure to leave quite an impression - especially if you

crank it up [:o] Not only could the huge stack be seen from all over

the place, but it would bring a lot of credibility to the name too. I

know I would be bragging that I've got a few hundred pounds of speaker

crammed into my world's smallest headphone [;)] It would be even more fun when you powered both with an iPod.

As far as marketing to the college world, I can only comment on what seems to work on my campus. Basically, thousands of people walk across the Quad everyday and anything that involves "free something" without the risk of spam or whatever becomes a very popular event real fast. Free food works extremely well and will result in people waiting in line for hours, but that might be too expensive since you might end up feeding 20,000 students if you're not careful. If you wanted to do it on our campus specifically, you would probably have to go through some kind of club. I'm the vice president for the local AES campus chapter so it would be easy to swing. In fact, there are AES campus chapters all over the country and they would jump at the opportunity to have an audio company representative swing by. Rock the ear college campus tour?

If I can go off on a slight tangent, Klipsch isn't a very well known brand name in my generation. My friends all roll their eyes every time I mention Klipsch, but most everyone else just looks at me like I sneezed or something. I've actually "sold" quite a few Promedia Ultra 5.1 systems since they make perfect dorm/apartment surround systems and just about every one of those people has then made the same recommendation to their friends that have made the same purchase too. I dunno if the trend has continued, but the Klipsch products just smoke everything at the same price point and that makes a huge impression on everyone I know. The cool thing is that all of my friends intend to purchase Klipsch surround systems when they graduate from college and are financially secure and all that. I'm sure my closer friends will seek my advice and I'll help them go way overboard (is there such a thing?), but I think that would happen without my influence anyway. I fully expect Klipsch to be around for another 80 years and the graduating college generations are going to be making that happen. Right now, the Best Buy configuration is turning off a lot of college folk - the product just isn't being displayed properly....

...I was just thinking...Klipsch would probably make a better impression on a campus if they mentioned that they're huge in the movie cinema industry. Heck, just showing up with a full blown MWM system next to the headphones is sure to leave quite an impression - especially if you crank it up [:o] Not only could the huge stack be seen from all over the place, but it would bring a lot of credibility to the name too. I know I would be bragging that I've got a few hundred pounds of speaker crammed into my world's smallest headphone [;)] It would be even more fun when you powered both with an iPod.

Free Food for Headphone Demos ? Hmmm I never would have thought of this. Is this like baiting at your deer stand?

It is interesting that you had mentioned ProMedia products. I believe Klipsch's first high powered 4.1 brought a lot of new users to our company. Prior to that we were mainly known only for Pro Theater and Heritage products.

Maybe we should have give aways drawings for iGroove, or SXT?

Anyways, them's my 2 cents on the college world. Have times changed much? I could never imagine going through college without computers...talk about information starvation, let alone cramps from chiseling stone tablets! [:o][:P][;)]

Hey don't knock the chiseling on stone tablets...It cut down on paper usage. We didn't even have cell phones during the "dark ages"....Imagine that. My idea of portable audio was a Sony Walkman with "auto reverse".....Whoooooooow![:o]

Go Notre Dame!..... Oh well..... never mind........

I don't feel so old after all...

We had progressed to paper, pens, and pencils while I was in college though I did have to used punched cards for a couple of classes. Want to improve your typing accuracy, use a keypunch.

I think I was a junior when I got my first walkman type player, a Koss model with a tuner that fit in the cassette bay. PCs were just starting to gain ground. No internet. Very few people owned their own PC. No cell phones. [:o] How did we ever survive? I think just a few people had Walkmans my freshman year. Sound you could carry with you.

I like Doc's idea of MCM stacks alongside the Klipsch IE models. Give away a few Stick It In Your Ear! tee shirts and some 'phones and you're all set. The Legendary Sound of Klipsch that fits in your ears alongside some of the legendary speaker stacks. Sounds like fun to me.

A quad area at colleges or anywhere there's a lot of traffic would be a great location could maybe sponsor a few such promotions at college sporting events though a busy quad area should always draw a crowd. The university I attended was bisected by a couple of major streets with an intersection called the "scramble light" where traffic would be stopped in all 4 directions so students could cross between classes. Always busy, anything going on there always drew a crowd.

Maybe you should send Andre Agassi a couple of pairs.... I'm sure a lot of people recall his Canon camera advertisements and might notice any earphones he's wearing.

Most of all, make it fun.

So what's the difference between the iGroove and the SXT? or the HG for that matter? Has the CS-700 or 500 or whatever it was hit the market yet? I think anything wireless would be a big deal on campus - especially if you could stream from your computer.

Free food is an amazing thing on campus. At the beginning of every school year the local Chipotle offers a free burrito for just the one day. There will be a line over 4 blocks long that takes about 4 hours to get through. When doing AES stuff, if we don't offer free pizza we only get about 10 people to show. With free pizza, about 100 people will show up. IEEE does a bit better and can overflow a 400 person lecture hall - they're offering better pizza though. On the Quad, a lot of companies hook up with a local pizza company and then hand out fliers on the quad for a free pizza (yea, whole pizza). They're usually credit card companies that have a corner of the restraunt setup for signing people up for the credit cards. It usually takes about 90 minutes to get through those lines. However, about 3/4 of the people that show up leave right away when they realize it's a credit card company...students aren't that stupid [;)]

I was under the impression that a deer stand, even with bait, often results in hours of twiddling your thumbs...

Btw, you've got mail

oooo lookly who's got their own Forum section! Congrats Thump! ah, but what SHADE of high gloss black?

I think we could arrange the MCM stacks. How about a Klipsch-sponsored concert in the quad, with headphone and RoomGroove demo tents?

Talk about getting a BUZZ going....

I'll bring the PA.

M

Yeah Mikey,

We got our own little box to play in...

Since I can't find a good picture on the web I am gonna have to get a picture of your little speakers with a drum set in the middle to demonstrate the Texas Headphone effect. Could you duct tape those to your head for the photo? You do drum don't you? I am sure you can get some duct tape from Trey. He uses it for everything, even flossing.

I wonder if you could get the MCM's on top of the 600's or is that the only way for you to store it in your House of Klipsch?

But make sure you set up a stereo pair cause one stack is just not enough! Have you ever had it so loud that the Aqueous Humour in your eyeballs modulates blurring your vision?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqueous_humour

This is your word for the day...Test on Friday!

Don't stick that Texas Headphone in your ear!

Previous owner used the SW and LF bins from the 600 system with the upper horns of the MCM system. Big and Ugly, but really did the job. That's why these MWM-S are in very good condition (except why does everyone rob the drivers from these bins?)

The closest I get to headphonus majorus is lying on my back in between a pair of CW's. Those bass notes come rolling across the floor like tumbleweeds.

btw, Roy is the only one I let call me Mikey, mmmk?

Uhm the cable rumble is most headfi community calls it microphonic.

Everything else has been nicely explained by Mark. I have used many earphones before, and yes, I own the smallest earphones like etymotic before(Not sure whether Klipsch will be even smaller) and it did suffer from microphonic. And I had to put the cable over my ears to reduce the microphonic effect.

I own Etymotic ER-4S and they are an excellent IEM. Their foamies provide exceptional noise reduction. In terms of isolation, it's the best I have heard rivalling custom earphones out there from Ultimate Ears, Westone, Sensaphonics.

It's nice to see Klispch finally jumping into the IEM market. I'm also very eager to hear how Custom 3 would compare to many top IEMs out there.

I Love iFi Sound signature a lot, it would be nice if Custom 3 has similar sound signature.

For some reason, I thought my $100.00 headphones would sound better than my Cornwalls.

Right up to the ear and all.

Another lesson learned.

Tells me what a good pair of speakers I have!

You won't FEEL the bass, that's for sure. I have heard of folks putting bass shakers on their chairs for when they wear headphones.

Bruce 

Uhm actually Ultrasone Edition 9 headphone when you pair it with a proper amp like m902/Rudistor RPX-33, you WILL FEEL the bass down your spine. :D Ultrasone Edition 9 is pretty well known for its quality bass.