Klipsch Headphones/Earphones

dtel's wife

Just a little warning about the Klipsch earbuds I listened to. There was only had one major negative I found with the headphones. If you touched the earbuds the resulting noise was very distracting. A very loud rumble! I guess you can't help this, but at the price that will be charged for the earbuds there will be alot of returns. I would think most people would find it an unacceptable flaw, in a very expensive set of headphones.

• Moderators

I didn't notice the loud rumble at all. In fact, I did touch the earbuds a couple of times while they were in my ears. They were so light it didn't feel like I had anything in my ears.

I wonder if anyone else noticed this problem, or if it was just limited to the pair you tested.

I also noticed a rumble with the micro sized Image model when I'd tap the cable. Not sure if I tapped the earbuds other than to check that they were in my ear as they were very comfortable. I suspect the rumble in my case may have been because I didn't have a perfect seal. I had tried part of my listening with the earbuds in loose to see how they sounded with letting in some of the outside sound and that may have been when tapping the cable produced rumble.

In any case, I suspect this was a user error and it was hard to believe any earphones so small and comfortable could sound so good.

Even if you don't like earphones or headphones give these a listen as they're very good and you'll most likely be surprised by the sound and the comfort.

• Moderators

Just a little warning about the Klipsch earbuds I listened to. There was only had one major negative I found with the headphones. If you touched the earbuds the resulting noise was very distracting. A very loud rumble! I guess you can't help this, but at the price that will be charged for the earbuds there will be alot of returns. I would think most people would find it an unacceptable flaw, in a very expensive set of headphones.

BadDad,

Mark (the lead engineer on the headphone project) asked me to post his response to your concerns:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Here is the lowdown on cable noise.

The demo headphones that were at the pilgrimage were all prototypes. The chassis were <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />SLAs (stereo lithography polyester resin formed into crystals using a laser). Most of the models are much improved from that demo. Sound signatures have been altered for Klipsch preference. Balance armatures have been customized for our needs. Comfort has been improved. And also the cable rumble has improved.

Cable rumble occurs in any headphone. The mechanical vibration transmits up the cable to the concha of your ear. This is the same effect as the tin can telephone you may have used if you were a kid in a tree house who didnt know he was going to be an acoustic engineer until later in life. (but I digress) This transmissibility is not much of an issue in the Custom models because there is an over ear gumby wire that molds to your body. The plastic jacket on the cable assembly is quite long which diffuses the transmission and minimizes any noise at the ear drum.

For the Image model this is a more difficult problem. Every design has trade offs. Image is very small and light weight thus it is more comfortable and convenient to use. But having less mass allows for greater transmissibility. As mentioned prior, the samples demonstrated at the pilgrimage were prototypes. Thus the tail of the chassis was an SLA hard plastic. We could not easily emulate a soft rubber strain relief tail in this stage of development so we used and SLA. The second issue is that we were using a woven cloth cable assembly. This rough material was similar to a rasp against clothing when movement occurred. We have since migrated to a soft material jacket on the cable assembly. This material has a low Q modulus which does not transmit vibration well. So the combination of the flexible tail and smoother soft cable has minimized this issue. I think you will find that these changes were a huge improvement.

We did a focus group study also which pointed these issue out.

Thanks Mark, I did kind of like the textured cloth wire wrap on the mid-line custom headset you let me try out. It felt more secure, more heavy duty, easier to untangle (as I tend to tangle things quite a bit). So that's going away is it?

I did notice that singing or talking on the phone with the headset in place (in the other ear) gave a very bizarre impression of one's own voice, presumably due to similar transmission issues.

The bendy wires really are a great innovation. Dig it!

Amy thanks for posting this...

Hi fellow pilgrims and corner horn loaders!

First of all I want to thank the pilgrims who visited Indy this summer. As you now know, we are in the headphone business. It is amazing that nobody leaked the news about our new headphone programs that you auditioned at the pilgrimage. You really helped us surprise everyone. Nobody can believe that we have developed 4 new products in 18 months from scratch without any prior experience in IE audio. This wouldn't have happend without Brad Geswein, our new boy wonder and genius of stuffing small stuff in little tiny packages. Wait 'til you see the pictures of our little crossover for Custom 3 next to the Paladium crossover. The extremes of design are increadible. Buckets of copper were used to make the inductors on Paladium's Xover and we have to look at our ity bity components under a microscope. Pictures to follow when we go live.

Headphones at Klipsch wouldn't have happened without Tom Gospel keeping us on track and paving the way for approvals at the top brass. I have never seen anyone build a team within many departments as well as he has. Through his planning and communication, I think that every department has been involved from the beginning of the projects.

I also want to mention our super tech, John Andrews. John came to us from the video electronics industry, and he has jumped right in there with us when we needed a hand building prototypes and making measurements on our little B & K green man.

This is an exciting time at Klipsch! I think I speak for the company when I say we are turning the corner. Everyone here is real busy developing cutting edge products that you may love and use everyday in the near future. We are constantly reinventing ourselves to keep up with you audio enthusiest. The way music is distributed digitally has allowed us to morph into brand new categories. This isn't to say that we don't all own alot of Vinyl and tube amplifiers. But times are changing and we are changing with them.

People tell me all the time that they can't believe that we get to work with speakers and audio gear everyday. Sometimes it is just work for us, but usually it is more of a passion, a labor of love. I have a son who just started college this year. If he remembers anything that I have said I hope it is the philosiphy I have for pursuing a career... Find something you love to do, that someone is willing to pay you to do, become an expert at it, and you will love your job for the rest of your life. I have been lucking in this category.

Of course we can't talk about new product that we are developing until they are officially announced, but it is safe to say that you will be delighted when they come out. We have collected a great team of experts with passion for music and video, most of whom are musicians or at least groupies. [H] Each of these talented people contribute in there special way to the success of this company. But none of this could be possible without our Klipsch fans. So I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

We will be giving you much more information on the Klipsch website for exciting products and especially all the nitty gritty details about headphones so stay tuned as I know you will (from reading your number of blogs).

I can't wait for you to all be proud owners of our new products. So stick it in your EAR!

All the best,

Mark Blanchard, Sr. Acoustic Development Engineer (Professor THUMP)

Mark,

I don't really like headphones though most of my music listeniing is through headphones at work. And I never could stand any of the in ear models I've tried.

But the Klipsch earphone prototypes I feel privileged to have tried as the prototypes at the Pilgrimage are not only very comfortable but deliver amazing sound... legendary Klipsch sound quality in the palm of your hands.

I for one am looking forward to sticking a set in my ears!

Awesome job!

And it was difficult not to tell people about the Klipsch phones.

Thanks for the words!

When Klispch's CTO Richard Paynting asked me to do headphones I said I would help any way I could but my business card says "speaker engineer" on it. I went from 250 Watts to 25mWatts! This experience has given me better appreciation for the value of a good headphone. I realize now that I can listen to music with extremely accurate fidelity much more than ever before. Of course I am biased, but when I am on a plane for 15 hours or at an airport with noisy "klipsch" intercoms all day long now I can choose to listen to my library of music. I have to admit I was a purist only wanting to listen to CD's the direct digital data, but MP3 players have created a new dimension to my listening pleasure. I have heard things lately with our new IE phones that I had not realized was in the mix previously. For instance, what do you hear at the beginning of "Back in the saddle" by Aerosmith. Listen closely and see if you have been missing something. The only other way to hear this detail is with a Klipsch speaker Cranked! or a really low noise listening room. There are things burried in mixes if you listen closely.

You will be pleasantly surprised at the convenience of IMAGE when you are working. If you are in a cube farm like we are, you can dial out your neighbors speech or in our case the Klipsch horn cranking in the lab with these little beauties. You forget that they are even in your ears they are so comfortable! When I started studying ear impressions to look at the 3D geometry I noticed that virtually everyone is oval in the cross-section of their ear canal. I couldn't believe it. Nobody had thought about comfort and the shape of your ear holes! And you will find that they are simple yet elegant. Simple and quick to load into your ear canals and very unobtrusive to others when you are wearing them. People can't tell that you are wearing them unless they look closely.

Musicians will love the Custom series of products. Customs were built with them in mind. They are stable due to the over ear wire mount. You can move around the stage with very little movement of the IEM. Jimmy Hendrix is going to love them! The wire also takes most of the weight off the ear canal so the pressure is minimized for optimum comfort. Oh did I forget to tell you that they ROCK! Of course you would expect this from Klipsch.

Time will tell... I am sure you will let me know if I am right.

Thump

That is actually a very common problem with almost any in ear headphones. They tend to pick up and transmit vibrations like a stethoscope. The cables on the ER4S are like this for example. If they rub against something you hear it.

Shawn

• Moderators

Hey there Mark,

I am so glad you and Brad found us. It's great to read you guys' posts. We thought the earphones were super![Y]

Buddy, our grandson thought they sounded really good too. His wish list includes the 700 and Klipsch earphones. In that order....sorry![;)]

Welcome to the forum and we hope you guys come chat with us more often.