Dynakit... Anyone know about???

GWSmith

Hi there. Gary here from the '68 K'horn restoration project...

While working on the pipeorgan at a local college chapel, I decided to study more closely an old dusty stack of FIVE Dynakit Mark III amps and a stereo preamp along with a REVERB unit which I have to walk by on the way to the chamber... The Mark III is small but VERY heavy and has a tag under the output screws that says `60 watts output'.... Wondering if I should ask the college if they would part with this stuff, which has been in the attic for OVER 18 years that I have been servicing that instrument.

Appreciate any info on these....

Regards,

Gary

"Back in the day" there were a number of electronics manufacturerswho offered up their wares in kit form. Dynakit was the kit form of the Dynaco line. Unfortunately, as the solid state electronics began to replace tube components, and as the manufacturing costs of solid state went steadily downward, most companies did away with their kits simply because there was no longer a demand for them.

In the wrong hands, those kind of things could be very unsafe. Just let me know where they are and I will unburden their inventory of old dusty stuff like that antiquated vacuum tube radio gear. They could be fire hazards and/or cause injury to anyone who just innocently plugs them in.

Well, at least you could try that line on them. Just make sure you talk to a person who would understand your concern for personal safety. And make sure you get an "excess" ticket or whatever you call them there. Only proper disposal of fragile old electronics will mitigate a safety liability.

Hi there. Gary here from the '68 K'horn restoration project...

While working on the pipeorgan at a local college chapel, I decided to study more closely an old dusty stack of FIVE Dynakit Mark III amps and a stereo preamp along with a REVERB unit which I have to walk by on the way to the chamber... The Mark III is small but VERY heavy and has a tag under the output screws that says `60 watts output'.... Wondering if I should ask the college if they would part with this stuff, which has been in the attic for OVER 18 years that I have been servicing that instrument.

Appreciate any info on these....

Regards,

Gary

Absolutely ask. The Mark III's would be a awesome score and easily restored. And you HAVE to keep the forum updated as to what the college says. Knowing how schools are, they'll probably give them to you. Then we want to see pictures of course.

OK, thanks for the positive suggestions on the Mark III's.................. Shall I be a glutton and take the stereo preamp with all FIVE amps ?? [6]

All right, I will see what must be done to start my connection with these. I could have got photos TODAY while there, but I just didn't think much about them. There is an alarm in the church tower which is monitored by campus police. We MUST have that turned off before we begin our work there each time. Knowing these people would be a good start, OR, I could just talk to my boss who knows the officials there too...

Time for dinner.............Don't forget, CHECK OUT my newest photos I will be uploading tonight in the '68 K'Horn restoration..

...Gary

I have experience with bosses. DON'T tell you boss they are there. You are THE MAN. THE MAN must find out to whom he must speak in order to quietly unburden the owners of these "liabilities." Heck, offer to "take them off their hands." The minute you offer to buy them, there could be a suspicion that they are valuable. If they want you to pay for them, you can then tell them that there are tube radio hacks who enjoy old stuff like this and you would like to "tinker" with them. I'd be on these like a cheap suit. Your conscience is speaking to you. Your conscience must be disciplined. YOU are the Master.

Some reading, http://home.netcarrier.com/~rstevens/mk-III.html

http://www.curcioaudio.com/dynadr_3.htm

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/1/910951/ShowThread.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/584737.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/216916.aspx

Craig, NOSValves.com has repaired a few of these. They do require some modification to sound their best. Craig has contributed to the last three threads and is highly recommended when it comes to repairing amps.

Good luck.

Thank you DFLIP. I enjoyed the read... Not sure what I am getting into here. I was hoping that a pair of stock MK III's would be ok if they work and are possibly re-tubed??? I had planned on just using my vintage Marrantz 4140 in the 25watt per channel mode with the K'Horns. This would let me listen to my 4-channel recordings once again that I have not heard in years :o)

Well, we'll see what comes of that dusty stack of Mark III's

Regards,

Gary

Ask if you can have them first. No cash offering may lead to the impression of limited worth.

However I have found quite a lot of college personell know tube gear and letting the "Treasure Map" fall into the wrong hands is inviting "Pirates" to the parade.

Plan your pursuit wisely.

Harry

Thank you DFLIP. I enjoyed the read... Not sure what I am getting into here. I was hoping that a pair of stock MK III's would be ok if they work and are possibly re-tubed??? I had planned on just using my vintage Marrantz 4140 in the 25watt per channel mode with the K'Horns. This would let me listen to my 4-channel recordings once again that I have not heard in years :o)

Well, we'll see what comes of that dusty stack of Mark III's

Regards,

Gary

Don't be scared! They would likely work with a little dusting off and maybe a careful, slow start up. But being some 40 to 50 years old, they should be restored. Some people upgrade, some people rebuild them in stock form. What's nice about Dyncco amps is how easy they are to work on yourself. Tons of information, parts and plans are available on the web.

If you decide that's more than you bargained for, pick them up and sell them here! I could use a nice pair of original condition MKIII's and I'd give you a fair price for them as would others I imagine.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone on this Dynaco thing..

Here is what I am thinking. Both my good friend Chris and I discussed what these amps - preamp - REVERB unit were for, and we believe it was part of amplifying the PIPE ORGAN!! You see, the large 3 manual Skinner organ is in the ATTIC !!! It speaks through grills in the ceiling up in the front of the chapel OVER the choir area. Because of this, it is not loud enough to lead in singing etc.. So, there is now CROWN boundry mics mounted on plywood over the pipework in the chambers (3 channels!) and modern amps in a rack in the sanctuary and a single large cabinet hanging from the ceiling.

So, if this in fact is part of the organ, that will make for another angle at acquiring them.. Its part of an old scheme they had and just lay there for YEARS to collect attic dirt. Most likely, they have been LONG forgotten... Again, this seems to make the most since. I doubt there is anyone at the college that would even know about this stuff anyway... What do you think ???

It will be hard for me to get in there to have another peak unless we are on official business with our organ company. We SHOULD be back there to tune the instrument for the holiday season sometime in December or early Nov. and then I can at least get some photos for you all.

Later my friends...

.......Gary

Here is the interior of the `Greek Rival' chapel showing the console front and center. The speaker for it is just high enough out of the shot but behind the chandelier... The organ is in the ceiling BEYOND the four pillars and overhead in there. ( the Zinc facade you see on the wall under there is all FALSE and for looks only!)

You can see why the sound of the organ is very muted by this unusual positioning. And THATS why they put the whole thing through an amp and speaker. [:(]

All for now. I have work later to catchup on my K'Horns and more photos for all of you who are interested in that project.

......Gary

Gary, thanks for the updates. Kind of a weird placement for the organ, unless, of course this is a chapel for some weird religion that worships organs (or organists). Cool job you have, regardless. Another angle you may employ: Make a reasonable donation to either the chapel, or a charity, in exchange for the amps. Or, offer some free service. I'd like Daddy Dee to weigh in here...

Hey there Fini...

Well, the CONSOLE is what you see, and this is what it looks like in CONCERT mode. Otherwise, there is a movable wall that matches the decor of the interior, complete with pillars attached, so the console and organist would be hidden. Many churches have consoles that roll about on platforms (we build them), and usually they are off to one side or another up front. However, if there is a music event, ie concert, the console gets rolled out front and center so the audience CAN see the artist at work [;)]

Anyway, thanks for the`cool' job comment. I have been there over 18 years now, and its very busy for us, with some great contracts taking us over the next two years or so..

Keep checking, and don't forget to look at my K'Horn photos... The finish on the wood looks fabulous! Now, I need to hook them up and hear what these really sound like, especially with the updated model `A` xovers ... As many know, these were willed to me by a good friend, and I have never heard them play. They sat out in storage in the garage here at the new house, and just this past week I was able to move them into the music room and begin the work as seen in all those photos. There are many more from today, so do check it out if you have a moment.

Regards,

Gary