Finally, a La Scala owner...

lakedmb

Well, it is official. I can finally say that I own a pair of Klipsch La Scala's. WOO HOO, though they are the industrial version.

As much as I am enjoying these speakers, my only question is that they sound kind of hollow compared to my Cornwall II's and I was wondering if I can do anything about this? I checked all the drivers to make sure they work and everything is fine. Is there a way to boost the mids/lows?

I really do like them and their look, and maybe different speaker, different sound and I just need to get use to them. I like that it is a split cab so I could seperate them if I needed/wanted to. I also like the wedge shape, compared to the square.

They are a beautiful dark brown color even though the picture makes them look more black. The only pics I have right now are from the seller, but I will post my own later on.

Posted Image

What is that ugly thing on top? Is that an old Kenwood? That could be part of the problem. I have learned that horns require total immersion into tube territory.

LOL - I'm not sure what it is, that is a picture the seller sent me before I bought them.

Now that I'm taking a better listen they don't seem to have that same hollow sound, may have been the material.

Oh yeah, the castors have been taken off.

Need more info to help solve your perceived problem. Are they sitting on smooth-surfaced floor instead of carpeted one? Get grippers for them if that is the case. You can do a forum search for the word "gripper" and find out all about that trick, it REALLY does work!

Keep in mind that the industrial models NORMALLY were sold with K-43 industrial heavy duty woofers in them, and you can normally get a bit more bottom end by changing these to K-33 models.

What are using for upstream components? That is one of the MOST important things when using horn-loaded speakers, the matching of components.

Fact is, the LaScala, by the design of its bass horn, will never get the depth of the K-horn or Cornwall, but what it DOES put out in the bass range will be very clean and concise.

How far back do you sit from the LS?

I sit about 10-12 feet back from mine.

When I first got them the speakers were on the floor. The tweeters were on level of my ears, the midrange was aimed at my upper chest, and the bass bin was aimed at my legs. It sounded very bright!

So I made 6 1/2 inch risers and now the tweeter is just above my ear, the midrange is level with my ears and the bass is aiming at my chest.

It really helped the sound alot. Don't know if you can get back 15-20 feet but if you can then that should do the trick but if you sit closer like I do try putting something under the bass bin that will raise the front up and see how it sounds.

• Moderators

I love the design of the LaScala. We had picked up some LaScalas for Colter a while back and held them until we could "make the transfer". I loved having them here.

They are really awesome speakers.

Congratulations lakedmb, you are going to be very happy with them!

I think that big ole horn on the K horn and La scala (mid) is what makes them sound soooo huge and open. They will also reveal a bad recording as well. But on a home run one... OMG just awesome!!!!

Listen to live jazz or say Diana Krall In Paris DVD... IF it does not move you.... go buy bose... hahahahahaha It is AMAZING!!