Klipsch RF-5 or RF-82 speakers for my new towers

aaronmarks

I have four Klipsch KG 3.5 towers I got 7 years ago that I have been using to make up my 5.1 home theater along with a RC-3 II center channel. I have decided that I want to move to a 7.1 set up and am going to be retiring the KG 3.5 towers to the surrounds and purchasing some reference towers to better match my reference center channel.

My question now though is which towers should I buy? I really don't mind replacing my center channel as well if the RF-82's don't match it correctly, but sonically which is a better speaker... the RF-82 or the RF-5 towers. I can pick up the RF-5's for about $100 more than the RF-82's and am having a tough time deciding so I was hoping that all of you guys could help out.

Thank you for any suggestions. Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

BTW, I know that the RF-5's are supposed to line up more with the RF-63's but I figured that maybe Klipsch is using the old RF-5 quality in the new RF-82's. I really hope to hear from someone that has experience with both.

this is pretty "general", but from what I've read, the new line (82') are a little more refined, top end a little laid back, mid range maybe a little better (most of this coming from rf-7 vs rf-83 threads).

Also, with the budget your looking at, I'd really suggest auditioning as much as you can, and the difference between $700, 900 and 1100 gets insignificant if after 2 weeks your wondering if you should have bought the better speaker. You're in range of rf-7's, heritage, etc.

No idea how well kg 3.5's blend with anything....

Spec wise they are pretty close. I have heard the RF-82s use a slightly less 'bright' compression driver which may account for the 1dB drop in sensitivity over the RF-5s. I own the RF-5s and have been more than happy with them but they do need good amplification as in quality not amount. While I have not auditioned the RF-82s as of yet I am a bit disappointed that Klipsch choose a vinyl wood veneer. To me the real wood of the RF-5 is a major selling point as speakers are also furniture and Klipsch's wood finishes are top notch. I would seriously recommend auditioning both and if the two are close I would go for the RF-5s. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with previous posts about looking at the rf-7's I listened to both the rf-7 and rf-82 and got the 7's cheaper used that the new 82's. (Paid $750 on ebay for a pair and was lucky enough to get free shipping via a college buddy) The 82's sound great...and were my second choice to the 7's...but there is something special about the rf-7s. they don't need to have a sub woofer with them to get deep bass and can make you think you have a center channel without...I would spend the money to get the rf-7's and get the other center and surround later ad funds permit. I and I am sure many others on this forum would agree that you would be happier in the long run.

I agree with previous posts about looking at the rf-7's I listened to both the rf-7 and rf-82 and got the 7's cheaper used that the new 82's. (Paid $750 on ebay for a pair and was lucky enough to get free shipping via a college buddy) The 82's sound great...and were my second choice to the 7's...but there is something special about the rf-7s. they don't need to have a sub woofer with them to get deep bass and can make you think you have a center channel without...I would spend the money to get the rf-7's and get the other center and surround later ad funds permit. I and I am sure many others on this forum would agree that you would be happier in the long run.

While I agree with most of the comments, it seems to me that he is looking for a better movie sounding experiencre.
Assuming that it is the case, don't disregard the center channel upgrade.
He is also worry about the quality of the amp needed to drive the new speakers, which would mean he is hoping to be able to stay with middle of road gears.
Assuming that one too, I would not get the RF 7's unless you are planing on getting  a good quality amp to drive them.
Looks like the RF 82's and an RC 62 are close to  what you are looking for. If you get the Rf 5's at a better price then get those, both are good speakers

Keep in mind that the 82's are the successors of the 35's, not the RF 5 which has no successor in the new lineup. The RF-5 employs the same horn tweeter used in the 7 series but with smaller woofers so they should sound similar in that regard.

The 82's are a great speaker. I was able to A/B them between the 35's and as masterxela has stated, the 82's are a bit more refined in all aspects but have a less direct sound presentation that the 35's have. Its a toss up between the two, you lose a little and gain a little either way you go here.

However, if you can swing RF-7s you will be in a completely different ballgame. Music and movies come alive with the 7 series that is hard to explain. You simply need to experience it.

Ok, so now you guys have me really want to try to find some RF-7's, but I have no idea where to look. There is only 1 Klipsch dealer in Seattle and they are really just more of a commerical/professional install place.

I have yet to see some RF-7's show up on eBay... Anyone want to sell me theirs? ;-)

When you guys talk about a good amp, just how good are we talking about? I have an Onkyo TX-SR875 receiver that I just recently picked up with 140Wx7; is that good enough?

Please please don't think that i am saying you should get rf-7's and keep the other stuff too...but i have purchased lightly used rf-7's, rc7, rs-7's and rb-75's for not much more than the rf-7's original list price. And I am driving them will my home theater in a box sony and 16 gauge wire until i can spare the funds for a separates...doesn't sound as good as it could...but its better than anybody i know that isn't on this forum...lol. As to where to find deals...look on here, ebay, craigslist, and get lucky. If you are ready to buy and patient you can often find good deals.

everyone is going to say no, don't run them on a receiver. but I own rf-7's and have run them off an entry level denon for a very long time and am SUPER happy with the sq. At some point I plan on auditioning the emotiva mps-1, but thats down the road when funds permit. I have also run them off my crown xti 2000 ($600 amp, not much difference, you'd get more for your money spending 600 on room treatment for sure)

All I can say is that I'd be suprised if a $10k amp changed the sound more than your specific room acoustics and placement. I've had the rf-7's in 4 different rooms, and it is amazing how different they sound.

Important note: The denon's power supply feeds every channel, same for your onkyo. I'm only running fronts and rears right now (4), and I can put the volume about as high as it can go, and the sound is incredible, if I taxed the supply with 3 more speakers, I don't think it would be happy, especially if I were running them on large with the 7's infamous impedence dip down low.

They won't be at a dealer, they were discontinued. Used to be a ton of maple ones on ebay bin for $1000. Audiogon and the forum are probably your best bets, people like their 7's though, might be a while

Keep in mind that the 82's are the successors of the 35's, not the RF 5 which has no successor in the new lineup. The RF-5 employs the same horn tweeter used in the 7 series but with smaller woofers so they should sound similar in that regard.

It actually uses a 1"compression driver for the tweeter, while the horn is the same as the RF7. The RF7 will have the 1.75" driver. I think the RF63 could be classified as the RF5 replacement.[:D]

So now I'm just really confused actually....

I don't think I mentioned this earlier, but I actually have a RC-7 center channel as well. ...Is the RF-5 a better match to a RC-7 or RC-3?

Nope. You surprisingly forgot to mention that you own the EXACT center channel that Klipsch recommends for both the RF-5s and RF-7s {edit:and not the RF-82}. [:|]