Subwoofer Selection

cbanoles

After much looking, and finally locating a capable local dealer and installer, it appears that I am going to purchasing a pair of RF-82s with the RC-62. My rears will be RSX-5s.

The question comes in on sub selection. I will mainly be using this for movie watching. My options I am considering are:

Klipsch RSW-10d

HSU VTF-3 MK 2 or 3

I know the RSW is pricier than the HSU line, but the price I am getting it for is comparable.

Anyone with experience with the RSW (or the RW line for that matter), please let me know your experiences.

Welcome to the forum.

I personally am a fan of HSU and SVS.  I think that for what you pay can't beat the performance.  I'm running dual SVS 25-31 PCi's with my La Scala's in the front and they all blend together great!  

See if you can locate someone with a HSU if you want to hear it first.  If you're in the Upstate of SC anytime you can come here my setup, if you want to experience an SVS.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, just depends on if you want any money left over.

After much looking, and finally locating a capable local dealer and installer, it appears that I am going to purchasing a pair of RF-82s with the RC-62. My rears will be RSX-5s.

The question comes in on sub selection. I will mainly be using this for movie watching. My options I am considering are:

Klipsch RSW-10d

HSU VTF-3 MK 2 or 3

I know the RSW is pricier than the HSU line, but the price I am getting it for is comparable.

Anyone with experience with the RSW (or the RW line for that matter), please let me know your experiences.

If your system is mainly for movie watching, then cross-overs, musicality, etc. are secondary....go less expensive. HSU is highly regarded for the price. If you really decide that critical music listening is a part of your experience, then stay in the RSW line....out-side of Klipsch, I would look at SVS and Velodyne.

I have to mirror what Custon Steve said. I too just received the RT-12D and all I can say is WOW! It replaced a 15" sub with a 500W Sunfire amp and the difference is night and day between them. Actually I never liked my old sub while playing music, because it wasn't "natural" sounding. Great for movies, sucked with music. The RT-12D is PERFECT with both.

In the subwoofer world you have so much choice these days it is astounding. People always come up with SVS and HSU...no big deal.I will let you in on a secret...

You want high performance,real high performance at a very down to earth price,check out Elemental Designs and EPIK. Google them,as I do not want to post links,we are on a Klipsch website. [;)]

The new Epik lineup beats HSU into the ground. Performance for the dollar is immense.

you might also consider velodyne, the newer spl series can be gotten cheap on line, i have the spl1200r, and at around 33% (sub amp adj) and after i spl'ed it, in louder-deeper sequences it feels like it wants to lift the couch off the floor, my neighbor view it after i set it up and it made him nervous, he had never experienced that from sound before, dont know the price on the other speakers, but i have found that after you research, and audition, you will find that cheapest or best bargain will always leave you wishing you did what was right in the first place. dont even take my opinion, audition!!!!!, and do not so much worry about price, eventually you will spend more later if you are not happy today

Does anyone have any experience with the RSW-10d. The RT series goes out of my price range, but with the current price I can get on the RSW-10d, it is very tempting.

As I said earlier, movie watching will be the primary use. So any first hand experiences will be greatly appreciated.

I have RF-63s, RC-64, RS-52s, with the RSW-10d and am very impressed. I was afraid that the sub would not keep up very well with the 63's, and it shakes the entire house. The speakers are about a week and a half old and great. Put the remake of War of the Worlds the other day, and I thought my home was going to explode. It is placed in the corner with hardwood floors. We also watch fairly close to the TV.

RSW10d is a good smallish sub,as all subs this size it will start to drop fast under 30hz,and be nearly of little use below 25Hz. It is very clean,has great punch and built very well.

I have had this little sub at home for overa month,I have the RSW10,12 and 15 plus the RT-12d and RT-10d. Plus around 25 other subs...just to put things into perspective.

For movies the best(cost effective subs)are ported be it PR/or classic ports and a bit larger in size. As content under 20hz is real and very present on many DVD's.The shake factor resides below 40hz.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the rsw-10d with the RF82's. After about 3 weeks of break-in and playing around with placement, I am in love with this combo. I was so afraid this combo would be greatly lacking powerful, punchy, deep bass but to quite the contrary. They are a perfect compliment to my typical Florida home set up....irregular walls and open air environment (rooms that open into each other).

What I really love about this set up is when I have to turn it down low when the kids are sleeping. I hear this growling little bass still defined at really low levels.

I find both in HT and Musically (I am 50/50), this little sub is a keeper.

• 2 weeks later...