OK, Corvette guys (Oldbuckster, too)... I'm back for mo' guidance

RFP

if those pics are of the actual car a couple of things that may or may not matter...those are the non sport seats...no biggie as I don't think the "sport" seats are much different but there you have it...also...check for the higher numbered rearend...I believe they had 2.73 and 3.15 for the Auto...you will want the 3.15...look in the glove box door for the codes and there should be one that is G36 or something preceeded by a G and that should be your sport rearend...I don't think you need anyhting other than the standard suspension but you could check for Z51 (sport) or F45 (real time dampening auto suspension...expensive to service)

Bill

if those pics are of the actual car a couple of things that may or may not matter...those are the non sport seats...no biggie as I don't think the "sport" seats are much different but there you have it...also...check for the higher numbered rearend...I believe they had 2.73 and 3.15 for the Auto...you will want the 3.15...look in the glove box door for the codes and there should be one that is G36 or something preceeded by a G and that should be your sport rearend...I don't think you need anyhting other than the standard suspension but you could check for Z51 (sport) or F45 (real time dampening auto suspension...expensive to service)

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the info! After reading your post a couple of times, I find that there's a "larger truth" lurking in and among your good observations. That being: that I probably don't know enough about these things (yet) to be able to make a really informed decision. I see your point about the seats. As a matter of fact, the same outfit has a virtually identical car ('01 - 'vert - same colors - auto) with twice the mileage (33,000) for the same money... but it is probably optioned better (photo of seats below). I need to know more... so that I can understand the "trade offs" between options that I might really care about (and could afford to maintain!) and low mileage. Since you apparently "know your stuff" about Corvettes, I wish you were local... what a resource!

Thanks again,

Rob

Posted Image

THOSE are the sport seats...not a big difference but usually someone who heavily optioned their car got the sport seats...check that link above from the Corvette Museum...it will have the improvements for 2001...nice extras at a no extra price...also checke www.corvetteforum.com quick turnaround on questions and answers...I have an '01...you will really like the C5 as it is a jump in comfort above the C4...(I think)...it has been quite a while since I looked into the options but when I get home, I will look up what info I have if that helps...those two resources already listed should get you answers quick as well...all the option codes are listed on the glove box door (including and after '01 I believe)...You will really like a C5...it is very comfortable as a Daily Driver as well.

Good Luck,

Bill

an interesting bit of fact on Corvettes...ALL Corvettes are sold at the factory...dealerships get certain allotments based on what they have sold the year before...dealerships can exchange as they wish but every car coming off the assembly line is sold...I ordered mine the very last day you could still order one in April of 2001...2001 was the first year that the C5R kicked Vipers and others in the LeMans races (and have done so almost every year since)...there were a number of upgrades in 2001...Heads Up Dispplay (HUD) is nice, memory is nice but limited (seats, heat/air mirrors, etc.) standard suspension is just fine...Z51 is a bit more...F45 is the electronic adjustable suspension but I wouldn't pay extra for it as it will be very expensive to repair...I had a form of it on my Bonneville SSE and I never took it out of sport...anyway...there is an optional rear gear ration...you WANT the sport...it is noticeable (3.15)...I liked the polished wheels over the standard painted silver or Mags as they are VERY expensive and somewhat delicate...but they are cool...

Bill

Me being old now and mowing the grass with a zero turn Cub Cadet, the thing brakes my back when I drive over roots, of which there are a lot of. Now about 2 months ago I got to thinking that with a 1979 or later Corvette seat on that mower my back would be so happy. So I go to the local junk yard for a tattered, crappy seat and they don't have any. Meanwhile I check Ecklers prices and then I crapped my pants.

JJK

There is a reason the 2000 you are considering is less money. In my opinion it is overpriced compared to either of the two 2001 you are considering.

Of the 5 Corvettes I own, 3 are roadsters:

1967 Corvette - Convertible - 427 3x2 4-speed
1967 Corvette - Sport Coupe - 427 3x2 4-speed
1969 Corvette - Convertible 350 hp 4-speed (my first Corvette)
1985 Corvette - Sport Coupe - every available option including glass top and Bose stereo system (Convertible was not available in 1985 or it would be a roadster too).
2001 Corvette - Convertible - Torch Red/Black/Black I ordered this car with EVERY available option including the either/or options: M30-Automatic Transmission, QF5 Deluxe High Polished Aluminum Wheels, F45 Selective Real Time Damping Suspension.

When I ordered my 2001 C5, I chose the convertible over the Z06's 35 additional horsepower mainly because I wanted the roadster and especially since many features and options offered on the Sport Coupe and Convertible were not available for the Corvette Hardtop (like the $1,695.00 Selective Real Time Damping F45 option I ordered).

In my opinion, the only reason to consider a Hardtop Z06 and/or 6-speed would be if you are going to race it in competition (on the street, you would notice very little difference in performance - not enough to sacrifice the comfort and convenience of the features and options offered on the 2001 convertible like selectable real time dampening, which in touring mode makes for a Cadillac like ride and in competition mode handles like a NASCAR - 25 MPH exit ramps at 65 MPH effortlessly). After 7 years, no regrets, if I had it to do again, I would order my 2001 exactly as I did.

After waiting over 6 months to see if Chevrolet was going to allow the new LS-6 engine option to be ordered in the roadster (as it had been rumored), on 7-1-00, the day it was introduced, I custom ordered my 2001 C5 Corvette convertible to be built. It was given Order Number CRMRPJ, accepted by GM on 7-31-00, reached Event Code 3100 on 9-6-00, was issued Sequence # 8271 and Target Production Week of 9-25-00. My new C5 was the second Corvette born on Wednesday 9-27-00, and was finally delivered 10-3-00. I stayed in constant contact with the Corvette Factory and followed the transport truck into the dealership to take delivery directly off the truck. This modern American Muscle Car is everything it is suppose to be (0-60 in 4 seconds and 12 second ¼ miles) and it takes a $125,000 import to out run my true American sports car for which I paid half as much (plus it came with A/C, a Bose stereo, and the top goes down).

Look for these 2001 Corvette Options:

Code

Description

MSRP

1YY07

Base Corvette Sport Coupe

TBA

1YY67

Base Corvette Convertible

TBA

-

Destination Charge

TBA

CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE

1SA

Corvette Convertible Base Equipment Group

1SB

Option Package Includes above 1SA plus

Custom Adjustable Sport Bucket Seats

Power Passenger Seat

Dual Zone Electronic Air Conditioning

Front Fog Lamps

Drivers Memory Package

Rear Luggage Shade/Parcel Net

Electrochromic Inside & LH Outside Mirrors

NA

1SC

Option Package Includes above 1SB plus

Head Up Display

Twilight Sentinel

Power Telescoping Steering Column

NA

CORVETTE COUPE

1SA

Corvette Coupe Base Equipment Group

1SB

Option Package Includes above 1SA plus

Custom Adjustable Sport Bucket Seats

Power Passenger Seat

Dual Zone Electronic Air Conditioning

Front Fog Lamps

Drivers Memory Package

Rear Luggage Shade/Parcel Net

NA

1SC

1SC Option Package Includes above 1SB plus

Electrochromic Inside & Left Side Outside Mirrors

Head Up Display

Twilight Sentinel

Power Telescoping Steering Column

NA

CORVETTE Regular Production Options (RPO)

AAB

Memory Package (Req. CJ2)

AG1

Power 6-Way Driver Seat (HT Only)

AN4

Child Seat Tether

NA

AP9

Parcel Net (HT Only)

B34

Floor Mats

B84

Body Side Moldings

CC3

Removable Roof Panel Blue Tint

C2L

Dual Removable Roof Panels

CV3

Mexico Export

EXP

Export Option

TBA

FE1

Base Suspension

-

FE3

Sport Suspension (Included With Z51)

-

FE9

Federal Emissions

F45

Selective Real Time Damping, Electronic

G92

Performance Axle Ratio 3.15:1 MXO Auto

-

GU2

Std. Axle Ratio 2.73:1 MXO Auto

-

GU6

Std. Axle Ratio 3.42:1 Six Speed

-

LS1

Std. 5.7 Liter SFI Aluminum V8

MN6

Six Speed Manual Transmission (w/1YY37- $0)

MX0

M30-Automatic Transmission - Includes G92 Performance Axle Ratio

NB8

CA/Northeast Emission Override

NC7

Federal Emissions Override

NG1

Massachusetts/New York Emissions Requirements

N37

Steering Column;Pwr Telescope Man Tilt

N73

Sport Magnesium Wheels

R8C

Customer Pickup at The NCM Click on Option Number

RM6

New Jersey Surcharge (mandatory in NJ)

QD4

Domestic Standard Five Spoke Wheel

-

QF5

Deluxe High Polish Wheel

R6M

New Jersey Surcharge

NA

UN0

Stereo System Delco-Bose with CD

U1S

Remote Compact Disk Changer (All Models)

V49

Front License Plate Frame

XGG

Front Tire - P245/45ZR17 BW SBR

-

YGH

Rear Tire - P275/40ZR18 BW SBR

-

YF5

California Emissions

-

Z49

Canadian Options

-

Z51

Performance Handling Package
Larger Diameter Sway Bars Than Previous Years
(Included With FE3 Sports Suspension, includes power steering fluid cooler)

Before you commit to a Corvette do yourself a favor and check out the 1973 Ambassador. It has lots of space, a leatheret interior, 335 HP V8 power moving a vehicle some 122 inches long weighting more than two tons. White wall tires and just look at those hub caps, hubba hubba. Its a sweet ride and when you turn the steering wheel the car generally turns in that direction. I lived in one for 3 years back in the early 80s.

post-16829-13819344728448_thumb.jpg