LaScallas

Dynaco_EL34

I got the speakers home tonight. I did not think to take a camera with me. Here are a couple of pics of them in my laundry room.

Sand them and finish them with tung oil. I love the look of the original La Scalas, sans grill.

Same here. I like the raw look.

Nice score....... It must be Lascala weekend.

I picked up a pair of raw birch Lascala cabinets. Sans parts......but the cabinets were free and you can never have enough speakers.

I scrounged up a pair of older Magnavox 15" woofers, a MG brand PH-800 horn with a K51V driver, Selenium slot tweeters, and Cornwall networks. Not optimum, but very promising for a first take. I'm taking a shine for horn-loaded bass.

post-6643-13819348960258_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what I had planned on. Now I have a question. It seems that the tweeters are not working when connected to the crossover network. They do work when powered directly. I know dumb thing to do, but the volume was set real low. These are 1976 speakers from the date code, so that is an AA crossover. What is the most likely culprit. 

Oh and do those old can capacitors contain PCBs?

Nice score....... It must be Lascala weekend.

I picked up a pair of raw birch Lascala cabinets. Sans parts......but the cabinets were free and you can never have enough speakers.

I scrounged up a pair of older Magnavox 15" woofers, a MG brand PH-800 horn with a K51V driver, Selenium slot tweeters, and Cornwall networks. Not optimum, but very promising for a first take. I'm taking a shine for horn-loaded bass.

Mike,

How do the Selenium slot tweeters sound. Not as costly as a set of JBLs. They ought to do pretty nicely. I've considered them for another project of mine.

Bruce

How do the Selenium slot tweeters sound. Not as costly as a set of JBLs. They ought to do pretty nicely. I've considered them for another project of mine.

Bruce

I won a bid on a pair of Selenium ST-324's on eBay for 30 bucks. They go for around 30 each. They sound rather good for a budget ABS plastic housed tweeter, better than they should. I personally think they sound way better than a Klipsch K-77 tweeter.

I'm pretty certain they don't sound near as smooth and refined as the little baby-butt cheek JBL tweeters I think you are refering to. But look at the price difference.

The ST-300 is a aluminum housed bullet tweeter. A friend of mine had a pair of these, and they are a bit smoother sounding than the ST-324. I think go for 45 bucks each. Maybe not the best choices for a mega-buck no cost limit speaker project, but rather applicable for budget projects.

http://www.partsexpress.com/mfg/selenium/selenium.cfm#super_tweeters

What's the model Beyma tweeter some folks are using for a K-77 replacement?

Mike.

Its amazing how clean those babies are.  You got a sweet deal and a cool story too.

Like Marvel said check all the connections.  I would pull them all loose and then clean and reinstall them. 

Steve

I was reading some other areas of the Klipsch Forum and as suggested, checked the tweeters with a DVM and they are both open. I will call Klipsch tomorrow and get a price on replacement voice coils.

Mike,

I was actually thinking of the Beyma CP21/F, a slot tweeter. They go for around $130-140 each. I think the Beyma with the horn is a CP25. JBL has a slot tweeter... can't remember the model, but it uses the same diaphragm as the baby cheeks.

Bruce