Popbumper's Academy Crossover Upgrade

garymd

I didn't get a chance to give Chris some well-deserved Forum publicity before my vacation.

If you own an Academy and haven't upgraded the network, you have no idea how good your center channel can sound. The difference in clarity is unbelievable. Actually, it's an amazing difference from top to bottom. I can now FEEL the bass where I couldn't before and whispers to mumbles are now crystal clear.

Thanks for the outstanding job Chris! Really top-notch work and worth every penny!! It's one of those upgrades where you kick yourself for waiting so long.

FYI - I'm pretty sure Chris does other crossover upgrades including but not limited to most, if not all of the Legend series.

Yep, I have been saying it for years now since I think I was one of the first to take delivery of the "K-Stack" for the Academy I had. No soldering, he uses the same type connectors and they are all marked so you know exactly which speaker to connect them to. Workmanship and components used are top notch. The Academy is a great center right out of the box and I have tried them all (KLF-C7, KV-4, RC-7, KG 2.2V) with Chris's network in it like Gary said the level of detail increases and the bass becomes more defined and punchy.

I use a La Scala for center now but still use an upgraded network in it. I think I am going to have Chris build up a pair of extra KG1 network/input plates that I have to see if differences can be noted in some of the smallest speakers in the Klipsch KG lineup. You up for it Chris?

I'm currently waiting for my new set of Forte II and Academy crossovers from Chris. They should be shipping any day now. Believe me, I can't wait to hear what kind of improvements I'm in for. I'll definitely post again after I get them installed and take them for a test drive. Also, I'm going to attempt my own upgrade to the crossovers in my KG2.5's. Not totally new networks, just new caps and resistors. There were only two of each in one of the KG crossovers, and being a newbie to this type of work, I figured this would be a good place to start. I've got some old electronics to practice my soldering skills with, and then I'll install the new components and have a fully upgraded 5 channel setup. I feel spoiled!

• 3 weeks later...

Current configuration for my theater is Academy front, forte II for front, forte rear (more like rear as they are behind me), and sunfire sub.

Speakers are taking up quite a bit of room.

I am thinking about changing the front setup to Academy across the front. I do have two spare at the moment.

Any idea if this would be an acceptable configuration if the networks were also upgraded?

Mike

Hi Mike:

Three Academies in the front is do-able; certainly, network upgrades WILL enhance your experience a great degree, but:

1) You will not have the same volume/depth of bass as with Forte/Forte II

2) You will not have the same midrange/upper accuracy (the three way driver setup gives greater detail)

I am not saying it's not a good idea, just don't expect it to rival the Forte performance. I went from Academy center to Forte center, and the difference was amazing - and still is.

If I can assist you, please let me know.

Chris