Bass Modes Nodes etc etc. Added sub might help?

dtximages

hey guys thanks for all of your input with my new room.. I wanted to ask about this. What if i added a sub in the back where bass traps might normally go. Could this help my total dead spot at the listening position? I think it would cause some really strange bass waves in the room. I would have to use a Klipsch SW12 which is a different sound and size as my Velodyne up front. so i understand all the inconsistencies here. But really all i want is to have bass at my listening position... Ill worry about the quality of it after i figure the dead spot out first.

What do you think.

Guest srobak

If with all those speakers you have listed you have a dead spot in your listening position - you might want to check into your phase cancellation instead of adding a sub - especially if you already have a sub - regardless if it is a Velo or whatever. You are certainly not lacking bass production.

yeah ive checked cancellations.. i only have a pair of chorus's and a pair of fortes. theyre wired properly. the sub is phased properly as well . . I know its a room issue because of the differences in bass that you hear at different locations. I figured that I might could use another sub in the back of the room (where bass traps might go) to cancel the negative reflections. This might be stupid and crazy but i thought i heard about this somewhere. Basically youre just fighting fire with fire.

What do you mean? that sounds opposite of what some have said on my original forum about bass traps. Im under the impression that i need alot more than bass traps.. and if i did go with bt's then i would have to spend close to $2000 to get enough and large enough to make a difference.

What do you mean? that sounds opposite of what some have said on my original forum about bass traps. Im under the impression that i need alot more than bass traps.. and if i did go with bt's then i would have to spend close to $2000 to get enough and large enough to make a difference.

Really? To address room modes?

I can only imagine from whom or what website selling stuff that you have gotten that impression/'information'! [;)]

An additional sub might help. You'll just have to try
it. Co-locating subs is not the ticket, as that will just
reinforce whatever nodes you have already. I have my subs in the
front 2 corners and my side walls are not parallel, so my room is
better than it might be.

I'd try an additional sub along the same wall the first one is, or one in each corner, since you seem to have enough. [:)]

Ok I might try that soon if i could only find the right Y adapter. I know I have several of them but my wires are all stored in plastic bins and y adapters always seem to hide from me.

Would using a Y adapter lower my output per sub? I know an older amp certainly did. It acted like a water pipe that was only getting half its pressure,

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if you have already looked into this, but it has worked for me and many others:

http://bfdguide.ws/

Basically, for a very reasonable cost I have nearly flat bass at my listening position.

Scott

Just a note of caution when using an equalizer for boosting low frequencies.

If you are running near the amplifier's maximum output prior to clipping (say it can deleiver X watts steady-state) and the EQ is demanding an extra 3dB of output, then the amp needs to be 2X. For a 6dB increase it would be 4X. IOW, an EQ at a low frequency can put a real strain on an amplifier.

Good Luck,

-Tom