westinghouse gear any good ?????????????

joessportster

have an old stereo console local for cheap it has old westinghouse tube gear in it, no model numbers that ii know yet, any value ?????????? i am mainly interested in the cabinet but it dont hurt to get the amp etc in the deal

Joe

Is it stereo? Can you tell what tubes run it? Do you see a model number for console or amp?

Probably no value Joe. You have to assume they also used Westinghouse tubes which are worthless. With so many consoles being junked these days, I'd look for the ones with Fisher gear at the very least. Some day you might get lucky like Thebes and find one loaded with Marantz! Just remember to grab the preamp too!!! (nyuk, nyuk, nyuk)

Granted, it could some single-ended tube amp or push-pull in that console stereo with weeny output transformers. Probably not worth much to mostly everyone, but maybe a nice entry level thing for a budding do it yourself type of chap. Especially if you can get it for nothing....free parts for DIY.

""You have to assume they also used Westinghouse tubes which are worthless.""

Huh? I have a strong quad of Westinghouse made Eico 7591A's. You really think they are worthless, Gary?

I would think that the Westinghouse tube manufacturer made plenty of good tubes, probably a lot of junk as well. That's why they have quality control. If they made worthless tubes, how did they survive as a tube manufacturer? IIRC, I think other tube manufacturer's contracted out their work to Westinghouse. If they made worthless tubes, why would other companies have tubes made from Westinghouse?

I think Westinghouse may have made 2A3's...not sure....I think it was a Canadian company...not really sure there, either....

I had a Montgomery Wards single-ended 6BQ5 stereo phono/FM/AM receiver. A all in one unit chassis from 1959. The console was scary looking.

But it had Wells Gardner labeled tubes. The Co. that made the unit for monkey wards. The output tubes were WG labled Sylvania black plate 6BQ5's. Good strong quality tubes in the 10 dollar console buy. I bought a 1964 blond Montgomery wards console stereo. It used the same all in one stereo FM/AM/phono unit on one chassis. The console was sparton looking simple blond thing, really cool....like a '64 Chevy Nova.

The '59 unit had good quality parts for the day, with US tubes. The '64 unit had the cheapest parts they could use. And they used Japanese tubes, and all tested dead pretty much.....

Westinghouse consoles may have done the same, cheap as they can get away with. If it's a later mid-sixties tube console, I'd be a little leary. 1958-63 would be they better chance of a better quality console stereo I suppose.

The Magnavox stereo (concert grand?) console from the late '50's is no slouch. They used two power amps on each side, with a high and low pass for the horn and LF driver built into each amplifier.

A little singled ended pentode 6BQ5 circuit can be rather nice sounding with the right speakers. Magnavox made some good examples of console stereo amplifiers.

I think it was Western Electric that made the worthless tubes..... ; )

My mistake Mike. I'm sure Westinghouse made some fine tubes. I have a few of their 12AU7s sitting in the original boxes at home gathering dust. I don't think there's a worthless 2A3 tube on the planet if it tests strong. I didn't realize they used single ended amps in those old consoles.

BTW - I just sold a pair of RCA 2A3s for almost $100 on ebay and I would have made the same comment about RCA tubes. Not worthless but certainly won't make you rich. Poor choice of words on my part.

A lot of brands made dirt bottom of the line console style record players. They didn't use PS transformers. Like the "All American Five" radio sets, where the filaments are strung in series to equal the 115, or 117 line voltage.

I have a little RCA 50C5 SEP example. Cute, novel looking thing. With a BIG growl. I have a Sears Silvertone guitar amp that uses no PS transformer. Might as well plug the speaker into the wall.....

It's just best to avoid these types of circuits.