e-bay cornwalls

ricktate

Rick, I'm assuming you mean this pair?http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1315421375

They actually look the same to my eye, except for the black horizontal stripe between the woofer and squawker on the RH box ... Think it's velcro that someone added to keep the grill tight, although I'm not sure.

Nice pair for sure.

I'd have to pass the second part of your question since I have no experience in that area.

Happy New Year.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Rick,

I agree these Cornwalls http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1315421375 do look a little odd. They say they are 1978's based on the stated serial number of 14S942.

But........

1) There is only one 1 opening in the grill board for both of the horns. I thought this was done much LATER, maybe with the Cornwall II's

2) There are two openings for the bass port which was discontiued EARLIER than 1978. I have consulted my personal ebay Reference Library and find a 1978 pair (with risers also) that has three openings and on this pair I can SEE the Serial number to establish them as 1978.

3) The woofers appear to have been re-coned or replaced.

Could the these be Frankenstein Cornwalls?

I would hope others would comment to confirm (or correct)

Mike

------------------

3 Channel Audio:

1980 Cornwalls

Klipsch Quartet as Rear

The following I bought NEW in 1971:

McIntosh MR-74

McIntosh C-26

McIntosh MC-2505

This message has been edited by Good2BHome on 12-31-2001 at 02:00 PM

One question for you ebay practitioners. Why in the World does anyone BID this early??? This always gets me... The ONLY reason to bid this early is to drive the bid up... To place a proxy bid in at this stage makes no sense as well. Just imagine how much cheaper this gear would go without multiple bids being placed DAYS and DAYS before the auctions are near conclusion. This kills me. OF course, it's one thing if there is a reserve, but I have even seen this take place with NO reserve while the item is 40 times below market value. Seems there is always someone there to drive the bid up. Lordy. Ebay is one amusing place.

kh

------------------

s y s t e m

Linn LP-12/Linn Basic Plus/Sumiko Blue Point

Rega Planet

Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Here is a pic of one of my cornwalls. serial number 16S6XX. The grills have an opening for both the tweeter and squaker. the woofers appearto be the same. I'm not the original owner though.

I agree with Mr. Homeless, why drive up the price when you can SNIPE at the last minutecwm2.gif

------------------

Paul Ward

my home theater www.brookesbakersurveyors.com/klipschht.htm

• Like 1

Upon further study the two (2) opening bass vent was still in existance in 1977 as evidenced by mobile_homeless's 1977 Cornwalls as shown on his Link. Therefore maybe they were changed from 2 to 3 vents between week 14 and week 16 (based on P Ward's pictures) of 1978. It's possible.

I still stand by my other two comments #1 and #3.

There is a new listing of 1978 Cornwalls on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1317167211 . I emailed him this morning for the serial numbers. His reply was 17S717 and 17S718.

Mike

FYI All,

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1315421375

This pair of Cornwalls is listed on The Soundwells web site, if this is the same pair, for $850. Berkeley is my neck of the woods, I work in next door Oakland and live in Antioch, and assume that since now the price is over $850, a person can't walk into their shop and expect their old $850 asking price to be honored. Putting them out for bid certainly got a higher price. I would have gladly acted as a proxy purchaser. Oh well.... Maybe next time.

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 01-03-2002 at 04:20 AM

Where can someone find information regarding Cornwall serial numbers and which crossover was used? I have read something about the midrange in some units being factory mounted differently, with better sounding results? What finishes were available for which years? please let me know where I can find some info on this. Thanks

Actually, if you search on serial numbers, you'll put up quite a few postings about correlating them with years.

For the orientation of the driver, only the early Cornwall "II"'s had vertical midrange and tweeter mounting ... These were made from introduction to about 1970 or so (someone chime in with the exact date)when they cut over to the Cornwall I series with the horizontal orientation. I think the problem with the II's was from a manufacturing standpoint ... They needed to be made in pairs since the tweeters/mids needed to be "outboard" when set up. The horizontal position made them all alike and hence easier to schedule/make.

The early CW II's and I's (made up to about 1985) used the B-series network, but was switched over to a B-2 network in the early '80's I think. The B-2 did a better job protecting the drivers from big amp loads, but some say it did so at the cost of smoothness. I've had both and prefer the B myself. However, I think Al K's crossovers are a cut above the B, but you're talking additional investment so if dineros are scarce, stick with the B!

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

8snaces,

You've got mail regarding dating Klipsch speakers by Serial Numbers.

In addition to what Chris stated, I do know that a member purchased a pair of 1974 Cornwalls w/vertical mounted horns late last year & they were not assigned the earlier II designation. Thus, many of us are finding that the Cornwall appears to have more variations than most Klipsch Heritage speakers. I don't have anything additional to add regarding the type of crossover networks.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 01-05-2002 at 09:48 AM

P Ward,

Wow your Cornwall is DIGITAL ready! I see a CD next to the speaker.WOW Wink.gif

This brings me back frigid memories of Bose and Cambridge adds.They often had a CD in the pic to show the masses its DIGITAL ready!

Nice speakers,I'll have to get a pair of Cornwalls,I heard too many good things about them.

TheEAR(s) Now theears