Oooh LaLascalas!

tom b. 57

A few weeks back I traded a pair of 73' vertical Cornwalls in great shape for a pair of Lascalas, also in great shape. I am so impressed with the detail of the mid and high end of these. I use my 75' Cornwalls for my rock and blues, and the Lascalas for jazz. The Lascalas are magnificent. Cornwalls may have them beat on the low end, but, in every other aspect the Lascalas win hands down. I would like to thank the forum member who made this audio bliss possible. Thank you Sam. You have made me a very happy Klipschter. I hope that the Cornwalls are fitting in with your plans.

Tom

"Cornwalls may have them beat on the low end, but, in every other aspect the Lascalas win hands down."

Very common assessment of the cornwall v. la scala comparison, which inevitably lead to the creation of the Cornscala, which offers the best of both worlds - the low, deep bass of the cornwall with the magical midrange of the la scala.

-H2G

Thought about making some Cornscalas out of my LS but then ended up with a pair of Fortes that I use for the lower end bass. Run the sub out thru my Luxman eq and then drop the midrange and treble all the way down on the eq so only the bass is heard. I suppose I could just unhook the midrange and treble horn from the crossover.

Cornwalls, LS, Cornscalas, KHorns, Jubs aint it great to have different flavors of the Klipsch "sound" to choose from!!!! [Y][:D]

I have both as well and much prefer the La Scala's. I suggest after listening to them for awhile that you swap out the xovers to ALK Universals (this will really open them up), and then try a pair of Altec 511B's with your K55. You think the mids sound great now... wait till you hear them with that horn.

The problem with the La Scala's, Khorns and Belles is that they are very revealing. This is where the CW has a big advantage over them. On great recorded music my La Scala's sound incredible, but on poorly recorded LPs and CDs they sound like total crap. But I can play these same recordings on the CW's and they are not only tolerable, but sound pretty good in the process. YMMV...

Mike

A few weeks back I traded a pair of 73' vertical Cornwalls in great shape for a pair of Lascalas, also in great shape. I am so impressed with the detail of the mid and high end of these. I use my 75' Cornwalls for my rock and blues, and the Lascalas for jazz. The Lascalas are magnificent. Cornwalls may have them beat on the low end, but, in every other aspect the Lascalas win hands down. I would like to thank the forum member who made this audio bliss possible. Thank you Sam. You have made me a very happy Klipschter. I hope that the Cornwalls are fitting in with your plans.

Tom

Glad you're happy Tom, those are my thoughts regarding the comparison as well. Plus it does matter what music you're listening to. For that reason I collect em all! But very glad you've made another step toward audio nirvana.

Michael

Tom

Glad you're happy Tom, those are my thoughts regarding the comparison as well. Plus it does matter what music you're listening to. For that reason I collect em all! But very glad you've made another step toward audio nirvana.

Michael

Michael, if I didn't have this darn financial limitation, I would have a few more. I need to get a pair of Klipschorns and a pair of Belles before I can even think about being done. If it takes too long to acquire these I will be setting my sites on the Jubilee. That scares me. Is there no end?

Sitting here listening to Stanley Clarke/George Duke, and loving it.

Tom

• 1 month later...

I owned a pair of Cornwalls for a few years. Yes, they had more bass than my new LaScalas, but I felt the bass was muddy, not tight like the bass on my LS. I spent a grand and added a Hsu powered sub to compliment my LS, and now have the awesome sound that will easily hold my interest for the rest of my life. Are there better systems out there? Hell yeah. But I've never heard one, just read about them.