Psst. Nekkid Khorn Pics

thebes

Time to titillate the senses of the Forum. Something bound to give you a woody. Yes a wooden squawker equipped Khorn. The label lists it as a Type K: 357 2; Style: Raw; Serial: 256 and Finish: Raw.

This is a single speaker a customer of mine has (along with a nice pair of Forte's). He obtained it sometime during the '70's from a rich gentleman in Pittsburgh whose given reason for selling it was "new wife".

Upon entering my customers house I first spotted the Forte's. Admiring them his wife said, "Oh, would you like to buy a big one of these?" and proceeded to take me down to the basement where this beauty lay, supinely almost in a corner, exuding a certain sensuous charm. The gentleman owner, however, was not about to let his true love go, and my blandishments and entreaties fell upon deaf ears.

Good for him I say!!!

So any info on year , driver, xover, and just for kicks, value?

post-14801-13819348966268_thumb.jpg

The tweeter and midrange are older University drivers so without a photo of the label (or S/N) I am guessing mid to late 50's, I think the cabinet was 1/2" fir back then as well. Does he have the original grill and clear plastic Klipsch logo?

The tweeter was always mounted like that on the older K-5-J horn.

It is obviously not a mint specimen so he certainly isn't sitting on a gold mine value wise. $1K maybe IMHO.

Yeah guys I thought this was kinda cool since I've never really been inside a khorn before and I understand that the wooden horns are a bit of a rarity.

This is only a single, quite common with all speakers before stereo came in. Original grill and logo are long gone with just some muslin covering the openings.

He will not sell this so nothing along those lines but I will share the particulars you can provide with him.

Fritz thanks for the info. Here:s the specs off the label:

The label lists it as a Type K: 357 2; Style: Raw; Serial: 256 and Finish: Raw.

I 'll put up a picture of the label. The inspection sticker is gone.

post-14801-13819348983318_thumb.jpg

i would say 51 to very early 52 as its only 5 numbers later than a oct 51 khorn.

It has the large (western electric) caps and extra wood flares in it's mid horn.

If it has it og bass driver I would say 1 to 2 grand easy, you never see early (pre 52) khorn for sale.

I like this early mid horn better than the later (53 up) wood horn.

Thanks for the info 51!

I've passed it along to the owner who was very excited to learn about the background on this vintage piece. I also corrected a misunderstand he had that khorns were supposed to be 8" from the wall. It's nicely tucked into the corner now.