San Diego Fires

J.4knee

We were not evacuated, the Coronado Hills fire was the closest immediate threat to us in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />San Marcos, it has been fully contained. The smoke is absolutely horrible; go outside for any length of time you'll find it pretty hard to breath. My wife is a third grade teacher in Escondido and her school is closed for at least the rest of the week. I am able to go to work now. The biggest focus at work is keeping track of all our facility employees, their needs and their evacuation status. But we are OK. Not so for many, many thousands of So CAL residents though.

R/Jim<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Moderators

You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

As survivors of Hurricane Katrina we fully understand the long range consequences of a disaster. I am thankful the lessons learned from Hurricane Katrina have been overcome in assisting the residents of California. No one should have to suffer the devastating effects of a natural disaster with little or no assistance.

If there is anything we can do for you guys please let us know.

As survivors of Hurricane Katrina we fully understand the long range consequences of a disaster. I am thankful the lessons learned from Hurricane Katrina have been overcome in assisting the residents of California. No one should have to suffer the devastating effects of a natural disaster with little or no assistance.

Klipshorns are the only thing that can save us now. Hurry!

• Moderators

Klipshorns are the only thing that can save us now. Hurry!

There's always a comedian in every crowd![;)]

Glad to hear your doing OK down there Jim. My cousin may not be so lucky. She and her family live in Modjeska Canyon. What makes the whole situation in Orange County even worse is that it is now a confirmed arson fire. I just cannot understand what possesses people to commit arson? If convicted, they should lock the SOB up and throw away the key.

the police just shot and killed a person suspected of trying to start ANOTHER fire. when they approached the man, he got in his car and backed into the police car--they shot and killed the guy. the article didn't say what he was doing to made the police think he was getting ready to start of fire; but, he was doing something to arouse suspicion.

since the wind died down, it is actually much more smokey--not helping my asthma any. but, i won't complain because that is nothing compared to what so many others are going through.

my wife works for AAA and some guy, that lives in a house that is in the fire's path, calls the office and asks if it is too late to purchase fire insurance.

Sadly they've just found 2 charred bodies inside a burned home in the San Diego area.  My wife is a home nurse here in Idaho.  There can be little doubt that a number of older infirm people lived in these areas.  While most do have relatives and friends who'll look out for them there are a surprising number who are reclusive and home bound.  Some do not have phones or TeeVee for the lack of money.  Lives were lost like this during Katrina as well.  It is likely that they died of smoke inhalation before they burned and I hope there are no others like them.

• Moderators

Some of the elderly "shut-ins" that died in Katrina weren't found for months. In fact there are still some folks just listed as "missing".

Seems it is very difficult to find bodies when a place has been turned inside out by flood damage and knee deep in mud. I know some of the residences in Louisiana/Mississippi were searched three and four times, with bodies being found during the latter searches. I am aware of at least one elderly victim who wasn't found until almost six months later (our niece's landlord prior to Katrina). She was elderly and wouldn't evacuate because she couldn't take her cats to the shelter with her.

As with Katrina, I would think it is just as difficult to locate charred remains, especially as hot as some of the fires were burning.

It is really sad that some folks have absolutely no one in this world to look after them. I thank God every day for my family.

I travel occaisionally to San Diego for business. Just determined today that I will be there all next week. Fortunately, my locale will be the airport, local hotels bay area and Coronado Island area. Many folks I deal with have stories of close calls as well as friends of theirs who were unfortunate to be in the fire's path and loose their home. Hard to know who is not at their desk and who is at a shelter or a friend's house when I call out there. San Diego is one of my favorite places to visit, but this is not a happy time to be going there.

Some of the elderly "shut-ins" that died in Katrina weren't found for months.  In fact there are still some folks just listed as "missing". 

Seems it is very difficult to find bodies when a place has been turned inside out by flood damage and knee deep in mud.  I know some of the residences in Louisiana/Mississippi were searched three and four times, with bodies being found during the latter searches.  I am aware of at least one elderly victim who wasn't found until almost six months later (our niece's landlord prior to Katrina).  She was elderly and wouldn't evacuate because she couldn't take her cats to the shelter with her.

As with Katrina, I would think it is just as difficult  to locate charred remains, especially as hot as some of the fires were burning. 

It is really sad that some folks have absolutely no one in this world to look after them.  I thank God every day for my family.

One of the two in this case was a teacher in my wife's school district