Question to Klipsch Heresy enthousiats

kelly001

The new version of "overkill".... The black klipschorns are now in my son's room. The top Cornwalls will go to the "stereo room" (Wall of Voodoo-II) along with the k'horns being finished. But again, note the single pair of H's in the corners. The amp testers..... If I can get good sound out of them... Then the amp(s) go into service with the "big boys".

Kelly,

Everyone has their own opinion on the Heresies...

If you stick with them, the obvious choice is the HIII, but requires more money. I would take the HII over the original Heresy for a couple of reasons. Having had both in my house, I find the HII to be more tonally balanced than the original. If you want to end up with LaScalas or KHorns and need the Heresy for a center, then the drivers would match better from the original.

I have not found the bass really lacking on my own HIIs, and they are currently about two feet off the floor. They rock really well. At higher volumes they really rock. But I have them in my bedroom, hence the stands. They are the correct level while sitting in bed.

A pair of Chorus II would be an excellent choice, and I personally think they are better than the Cornwall. Size wise they are easier to place, although they have a rear facing passive radiator. Mid and tweeter are a more optimum physical level.

No one actually answered this question for you. Getting the crossovers on old models back into spec or with better parts can vary quite a bit. There are some folks on here who will do it for you or help with what needs to be done if you are willing to diy.

They all sound good, even great when the match up with the amp if good. You need to find someone with these models and see if you can give an audition.

Bruce

As far as Forte, Chorus?... To be sure, about 5 years ago when I decided to get rid of all my JBL's (after being informed by JBL that drivers and factory recones, foam, surrounds, crossover parts, etc were no longer available...) off they went. I had my original Klipschorns, the LaScala's, and a single pair of H-I's. I looked at Forte, Chorus, etc., but the footprint was too big, and I don't like MDF (Florida humidity does weird things to MDF if you are not very careful with A/C, etc...).

So the decision for general utility, HT, workshop, etc ended up with heresy's. The Cornwalls are recent, based upon a listening test at a friends home with Cornwalls. The selling point (other than the fact they sound so good), was the ability to do the crossovers, etc. and be able to refinish them, etc. It was an MDF thing again. They also work very well as surround/centers with Klipschorns, as well as primaries.

Kelly: Marvel is absolutely correct; and it is going to be your choice. And you really have to listen to all of them in various small room environments. You could very well end up with something you did not consider at this moment. One point I would consider is that regardless of what you decide, the listening tests should be with music that you like and at the volume you will listen to the majority of the time. You might be surprised.

So following everyone's advise, where do you suggest I listen to various Klipsch speakers in the Boston area?

Also price wise, what should I expect for used Heresy III's if I can find them?

Therein lies the problem & will take some effort on your part. Dang near impossible to find any heritage dealers. Perhaps you can find someone off this board with various models willing to let you have a listen. Check Craigslist & go test what they have for sale. None of this will be in your own environment but as someone said, all models mentioned will sound good.

There seems to be a fair share of Klipsch owners in the Boston area, and New Hampshire area ................. They might invite you over for a listen.......Me, I'm about 3 1/2 hours away from you, that's a possibility too ......... All I have are KG2's, KG4's, and Heresy 2's .......... Saratoga Springs area....... As far as used Heresy 3's price, would be hard to find, and dollar for dollar, I'd buy new ............... try www.audioclassics.com ....they will ship to you, or www.vanns.com ..no shipping charge, no sales tax with Vanns ............. and there is a dealer in New Hampshire, forget the name ........... You would think you could find a dealer in Boston though.......Go RED SOX !!!!!!!!!!

There seems to be a fair share of Klipsch owners in the Boston area, and New Hampshire area ................. They might invite you over for a listen.......

That would be nice and maybe they even want to sell me a pair? [;)]

There is a Black pair of Forte II's, 1990 vintage, for $525 here, or I mean, I could get them here if you wanted ........... 8 out of 10 .... No Issues with them

oldbuckster,

That's very kind of you but I'm afraid that Forte's would be too big for that room. I mean physically too big. It's a small room with a credenza and a small dining room table so I can't have speakers with a big footprint. I'm also looking for natural wood to go with our old wood floors. I however sincerely appreciate the offer.

and there is a dealer in New Hampshire, forget the name ...........

Is that the one in Bedford, NH? If so I already attempted to go but as I sadly discovered they are not open on weekends. [:(] It kind of pissed me off to because I checked their website for store hours and there was no info. Since I had to go to Nashua, I decided it wouldn't be too much of an extra drive (maybe 25 minutes) so I called them up just to make sure they were open. I immediately got an answering machine telling me that all "employees are currently busy with other customers... blah...blah...blah". I called again a little later and same thing. OK so they are so busy they can't answer the phone that can only logically mean that they are open. So much for logic.

Sounds right.........That shop would not lower the MSRP, so ended up driving to Audio Classics to get my H2's, and a couple of months ago drove out again and bought 4 new H3's for my friend......it would be a good 7 hour ride one way for you, too far.............Hard for me to believe in the City of Boston there isn't a Klipsch dealer.........See about Portland, ME....might be a dealer there.......Concord, your right outside of Boston...........I was born in Boston, but claim New York as my home....

Wow Groom, pretty cool. I seem to not be able to denote any tubes in the line up, is it just me? It appears our speakers of choice run the same. I prefer the Cornwall s to all but Khorns. I have JBL 100' in my sons room with an SX1250 Pionner.

Kelly, I agree wiht most, but I do not beleive the Forte is really that much larger than the Heresy, just taller. It has loads of bass and sounds great with tube gear. They also can be found in your price range. I think I would try for them or the Chorus II's. I had a pair of Forte II's that I bought new. They were incredible.

till: There's a mint, fully restored 6L6 based AU-111 somewhere in the room.... That particular amp, the Klipschorns, along with one of the Cornwall pairs, the Heresy pair, the turntable, the tuner, and one of the AU-11000's will be headed to the dedicated stereo room in about a week or two when it's finally finished (finally...)

• 1 year later...

Came across this by accident. In light of Indy Fest and many heavy speakers.......hope it's ok to post on this old thread.

Check out the 2nd room pic on pg 2 of the thread.

WOW

Colter are you drooling?

1 room: 4 Khorns, 2 LSs, 2 Cornwalls, 2 Heresys.

me: 1 room, 2 KHs, 2 LSs, 1 Acad. But can also add another Acad and 2 Heresys to the pot. Call, Queens high, full house, what have you got....

OK GLA51, your stuff is bigger than my stuff.

But no jubilees nor MCMs? HEHEHE......LOL

btw, GLA51, are you still with us???

NOLA (new photo with Stanley Cup from Friday in Toronto, do I hear new Avatar?)

Came across this by accident. In light of Indy Fest and many heavy speakers.......hope it's ok to post on this old thread.

Check out the 2nd room pic on pg 2 of the thread.

WOW

Colter are you drooling?

1 room: 4 Khorns, 2 LSs, 2 Cornwalls, 2 Heresys.

me: 1 room, 2 KHs, 2 LSs, 1 Acad. But can also add another Acad and 2 Heresys to the pot. Call, Queens high, full house, what have you got....

OK GLA51, your stuff is bigger than my stuff.

But no jubilees nor MCMs? HEHEHE......LOL

btw, GLA51, are you still with us???

NOLA (Pic with Stanley Cup in Toronto o Friday. Do I hear new Avavtar?)

post-16211-13819476507958_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...