Klipsch Epic CF 3 Version 1 In Da House

ka7niq

Sorry, active does not work too well in front of a passive crossover that was properly designed.

Now, IF the passive crossover was poorly designed, the additional slopes can compensate for it, after a fashion.

But if that is the case, why not simply go ALL active, and unhook the flawed passive crossover.

ASSUMING that Klipsch screwed up a simple 2 way crossover in the RF 7 ?

I am NOT willing to make that assumption.

Klipsch has goood engineers, and a wonderful test facility with the latest equipment.

Hard to believe they would screw up the basic crossover in a 2 way speaker ?

The EARS at Klipsch seem to prefer a brighter sound then I do.

They tend to run their Horns hotter then I care for in some 2 ways like the CF 3 and CF 4's

Once the Horns level is reduced, I dont hear crossover problems.

Have not had an RF 7 in my home, so not familiar with it's sound.

But have you EVER tried running it like I suggest for the CF3 and CF 4;s ?

I have a pioneer elite 94 and it has a bi-amp feature built in with tone controls and crossovers. Since the 94 has the bi-amp functionality and tone controls, I was hoping that it had what I needed to accomplish what has been suggested already for the CF -3's. I also have noticed that the horns start to be very bright at certain listening volumes.

Prior to the CF -3's, I had the CF 1's and I definitely notice a difference in the need for power. The Pioneer is 140 watts per channel.

I appreciate the replies.

Sorry, active does not work too well in front of a passive crossover that was properly designed.

The active in front of the stock passive x-over is in no way an attempt to correct it. It is simply another means of adjusting the lows, mids and highs. A substitute for an equalizer.

Of course, it may be the weakest link in the chain.....so would an eq......but when 70% of the recordings I listen to are less than perfect, this has been a successful attempt to make them "listenable". If I listened to smooth jazz 70% of the time......it wouldn't be neccessary.

I ran 250 wpc amps mostly, but I would think 50 to 100 watts will be plenty.

The amps I used were what i had, and mostly big ones.

I don't care for the CF 3 or CF 4's w/o using two amps on them in a passive bi amp configuration.

They sound MUCH better too me with a little less level on the Horns.

You do this with level controls on the Horns amp, just reduce that amps output to the Horn by reducing it's level controls.

Do this, and you will LOVE the CF 3 or CF 4's.

Don't do it, and join the thousands of "lost souls" here, looking for that "magic amp" wire, or power cord to make their speakers sound good.

I don't care for the CF 3 or CF 4's w/o using two amps on them in a passive bi amp configuration.

They sound MUCH better too me with a little less level on the Horns.

YES.........I have experienced the same thing with RF-7's......even without using an active crossover. RF-7's have a tendency to sound BRIGHT......and evidently so do the CF series.

.....wait a minute....don't all Klipsch speakers have this is common without dealing with it one way or another? [:P]

• 1 month later...

Klipsch CF-2?

How do the CF-2's compare to the CF-3 and CF-4?

Are they also differentiated in bass driver quality by version 1-2 versus 3?
Any differences in crossover from version 1 to 2-3?
Any differences in port length from version 1 to 2-3?

Do they have the same *quality* of the bass drivers in any version?
Is it a very different speaker than the CF-3 and CF-4?

Thanks!

NOT super familiar with the CF 2's.

They use different compression drivers then the CF 3 or CF 4.

I heard a pair of well set up CF 2's once.

They imaged very well, and were musical.

Of course, no where near the Punch of the CF 3 or CF 4, but pleasant sounding.

All driven by an NAD Receiver too!

He was using a Tube DAC by Lite Audio with Mullard tubes in it.

Thanks for the input.
The CF2 just caught my attention recently...

I just moved in with a roomate who really likes cranking the sound...
but I've been a minimonitor guy for years (Celestion, B&W - smooth, polite, wimpy)
and I keep thinking he's gonna blow my present NHT's with thier 6.5 woofers.

So now I want the best of both worlds...(closest I can get) High output AND accurate, nuetral sound.

The CF3 and 4 a bit out of price and size range, but the cf2 looks like it might fit the bill

I HAD Celestion SL 600's and Spica TC 50's, and many other mini monitors.

I will tell you a real Sleeper of a speaker you can find used, cheap!

The Infinity IL 40

It is an 8 inch 3 way, 89 db efficient, with excellent bass, wide imaging, a LITTLE short of depth compared to the BEST mini monitors, and ungodly musical, and long term listenable.

• 4 weeks later...

Once again I have purchased another set of Epic speakers. I loved my CF1's so much I couldnt pass up a good deal on a set of CF2's. I know this thread is older than dirt but it seems this thread is my best chance on getting some knowledgable feedback on a rare and not well known set of meo magnets...I have TWO questions. I would appreciate some responses.

1.) After purchasing these speakers I visually verified they are version ones as the serial numbers are 213498417 and 418. (made the 213th day of 94) Measred the port tube and its 6 inches. Although there is only ONE port tube. When i looked up discontinued epic 2's here in klipsch archives the picture shows the CF2 with TWO port tubes, Can anyone explain that ?

2.) I have to do some refinishing work on the cabinets. Does anyone have experience matching Klipsch's black satin finish? I really need to redo the entire enclosures i give them a 5 out of 10 for cosmetics.. ( might need to go to another thread with this question)

Thanks guys..... Epics will never die..they will live for eternity!

I THINK one big port of 6 inches diameter is better then a 2 smaller ports of 3 in diameter ?

Who knows what Klipsch was doing then, other then Ray Delgado himself ?

But welcome to the CF Epic Series Owners "club" !

THIS thread will never die either !