My name is G.Kennedy, and I am a Klipschaholic... KP 201's in the house

G.Kennedy

I thought I could do it.  Be the only one that could acquire a pair of Klipsch speakers and be happy with the one pair.  Well ... as many of you have already walked this path ... it was pure foolishness.

A few days back on LA Craigs, a pair of KP 201's show up asking $400.  I look,look away, look again ... can't hurt to send an email ... probably sold already..... whats that ... you still have them ... hmmm .... no I don't "need" them ... but the 2.1 Pro medias in the garage are a bit under powered ... they could go there .... naw ... I don't "need" them .....

Another email goes out ..... just a bit more history .... "the Reverend only used them for the wedding march" ..... you gotta be kiddin me right.  I'll be right out how's $350 sound. Deal.

Here's what I got KP 201's ... 13739911 and 12.  Which if I have it all right makes the 1993.  The drivers are K-76K, K-53K and K-24K ...  date 1992/93.  Crossover is KP 2.0A.  They look clean inside ... pretty sure I was the first to open them up.

The Reverend (seriously) had them since 2000 ... before that the history is unknown. He used them mostly for ceremonies and a few receptions, but has moved on to lighter gear and these have been sitting for a few years.  Even though he is a minister, I always take a story about the history of an item (speaker , motos, cars....) with a very suspect ear ... but I must say... these look real clean.  I think I did OK for $350.00

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Johny, do yours have round ports near the horns? Those would be KP250's. I've never seen 201's in anything other than black with corners and perf metal grilles (doen'st mean they didn't exist).

I have cloth grilles with perf plastic on both my oak and black KP250's- do you feel that the large amount of blocked space with the perf plastic may hamper LF performance? (knowing how Johny loves bass)

Both 201 and 250 have the 14 1/4" wide motor board so are slightly larger than Heresy- correctumendo sir.

Michael

Thanks for all the responses gents .... so far I have only run it on the 8w T-amp, today I am hooking up a pair of Marantz Ma-500 (125w) monos that should raise the roof.  These are going to be used for tunes while wrenching on the motos, so really, the T-amp will be sufficient .... but ya gotta crank it sometimes!!!!

What's next?

Nothin' .... although the Cornscala project is prett cool.  In reality, I have always wanted Khorns, but do not have the space or room for them.  The La Scalas sound so great to me right now, I can't explain it.

Done for now.

The Marantz monos really can make the KP201's sing, thats for sure ... maybe a bit bass shy, but man is is tight.  Plenty of tone to keep me happy while working on the bikes.

Whats next really ... at 42 I have started taking guitar lessons.  Right now using a rental, so an acuostic is next ... thinking Taylor.

The Taylors are nice........... Sweet guitar.

Bruce

Very Nice!!!  I am such a beginner, I am really just trying to learn about the different shapes and sizes so I can make a good decision.  I am all about spendng a bit more to get a quality instrument the first time, instead of buying three junky upgrades.

I a taking lessons at McCabes in Santa Monica ... they don't seem to sell anything to junky, and the staff seems top notch.

What's next?

Nothin' .... although the Cornscala project is prett cool. In reality, I have always wanted Khorns, but do not have the space or room for them. The La Scalas sound so great to me right now, I can't explain it.

Done for now.

Hah! I'd put the emphasis on "for now". I started with a pair of La Scalas last year (liked them at first and now more all the time), then replaced my four little Paradigm surrounds last June with a pair of Heresy IIs and thought I was done. The Paradigm center seemed okay and another Scala would be too bulky under the TV. Then, two weeks ago, I saw an ad for another pair of Heresy IIs at a great price. Two days later I was on the ferry to the mainland to pick them up. They turned out to be in decent shape and nearly the same year as the first pair. A center plus a spare!

Now my 2-channel/HT setup is all Heritage, so I should be done. Well, I can't even say that with a straight face any more. I'll just say I'm really happy with the present setup.

BTW, your KP201s look to be in top shape. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.