Way down south in Dixieland...

pmsummer

..ers, just like Pete Fountain and Al Hirt!

Picked up some "new" speakers yesterday. Frazier Dixielanders.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the house now and sounding pretty good. Two-way, with a 10" driver
in a folded exponential horn enclosure, and a Frazier F-350 horn on
top. Definitely "hornier" sounding than my Cornwalls, but they may be
in need of a re-cap (slightly nasal sound).

congrats. Yep, can't wait to hear what you think about them after recapping.

I'm wondering what is the cab structure and sound path.

After listening to them all day (with the full range of my taste), the "nasalness" I heard at first has disappeared. Still working on placement... probably going closer to the floor.

These are late production Dixielanders (early '80s probably) that have 4-way connectors.

Dee, it's a three box nest, best that I can tell. All plywood. The bass driver is in a box that fires forward into a second floating box that ports backwards, with the sound waves travelling into the third (outer) floating box and then out to the front. Very similar to the Jubilee, from what I've seen.

104 dBW.

OK, they've been running for almost a week. They're "hotter" than the Cornwalls, and seemed a little thin in the bass department (compared to the Cornwalls... but then so do most speakers).

I took 'em off the stands, and (as I expected) the bass improved. I don't LIKE them on the floor like that, so I may experiment with 4" pedestal risers (made from 1x4s), or with short furniture legs (some of the home Dixielanders I've seen in old catalogs had short legs). I'm not sure of the need to recap, as the highs are fine.

Did I say I like them? Even my wife likes their SOUND (but not so much their looks). She says they sound much more "open" than the Cornwalls (which do have a certain "darkness" to their sound... Cornwalls DO NOT sound like Klipsch La Scalas or Heresys).

Anyway, they're keepers, even if they go into the office. There will be some serious "thinning of the speaker herd" around here.

Oooo... As I mentioned in response to you/Ron in his "Flower Mound" post, I was curious about the Dixielander sound. As you know, I am a Frazier freak and believe there is plenty of evidence of a PWK/Jack Frazier connection going both ways in many designs. I'd bet money that Heresy owes its existence to Mark IV.

Have you tried them in a corner?

Neat thing about Frazier bass is that it never seems to be lacking, even when it is not there. The little Monte Carlos are next to nothing below 50hz, but what is there is so solid and firm you don't really notice.

Did you get these off Ebay? There was a similar looking pair there a month or so ago.

Dave

Hey Dave! Good to hear from you!

I got these off of a Craigslist ad in Sherman ($150 a pair, but I had to haul 'em down a narrow staircase). They came out of a Baptist church in Garland. They're "newish", or refurbed, I can't quite tell which. In addition to the screening over the fronts ("to keep small animals out"), they have 4-way binder posts.

I haven't tried them in the corners yet, but I did take away the stands and angled them in a bit. They are sort of like mini-LaScalas, sound-wise. I could easily make them my main speakers, I'm pretty sure... except for the low cosmetic WAF.

Posted Image

I think I got my money's worth. [;)]

Well, just try to remember: A woman is only a woman, but a great loudspeaker is a SMOKE..." errr, something like that.

What do you think of the Montes? I paid 217.00 for my first pair in 1968. It was them or a car. Not much of a choice, really. I thought they were a bargain...

Dave

BTW, those are the ones Ron found and I considered for a friend. Had a family crisis preventing me from completing. ENJOY!

What do you think of the Montes? I paid 217.00 for my first pair in 1968. It was them or a car. Not much of a choice, really. I thought they were a bargain...

I love the Monte Carlos. They are currently matched with a little Knight 333 tube receiver, and singing beautifully. I matched the La Fiestas with the Scott.

P1230048.jpg

I hope all is well with the family, and that any problems were passing in nature.

I missed the first posting of those Dixielanders on CL (bundled with a bunch of Nipponese electronics). The second posting just said "vintage stereo gear", and digging down into the ad, it mentioned Frazier "auditorium speakers". BAM! Off I went!

Yep. Ron said the same about the Dixielanders. He sent me the list of the "vintage" stuff the guy was trying to offload. Load of crap, not a good deal for free.

My big sister passed away. She had her husband, children, and both brothers with her as she slipped from the room during one of her husbands long stories. She had done it many times before, but did not return this time due to an important engagement with a Higher Power. May sound strange for a high church Anglican, but we had our traditional southern send off with a black singer who has become a staple at our family funeral celebrations singing her out in fine form. Quite a celebration.

Of course, I miss her...but that is just selfish.

Ron was there...he always is.

Thanks for asking...

Dave

She had her husband, children, and both brothers with her as she slipped from the room during one of her husbands long stories. She had done it many times before, but did not return this time due to an important engagement with a Higher Power.

Good priorities, your sister had. Sorry for your lost, joyous over her gain.