Sub output on receivers?

Klipsch-daddy

Is there any product on the market that you can get to increase the output signal for your sub out. I no there are some few Alpine car head units that use a higher voltage output to increase range and output??

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 509 5 Disc Yamaha comming soon.

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

If this is on your home system with the Yamaha, you can either turn up the volume control on the sub (if it's already all the way up, you may have something set wrong in the Yamaha) or you can use a Y adaptor at the end of your interconnect and run into both the Left and Right sub inputs. That increases the output by 6 dB (but is just the same as turning up the volume control). Remember, the sub has just so much output and if you are expecting lots more than maximum, it isn't there to get.

Have you tried running speaker level to your sub? The 'urban myth' is that line level is always better, but that is not so. Check all setup parameters in the Yamaha. Make sure the setting is for "both" LFE and bass to be directed to the sub out connection.

Thanks bob, it is about the yamaha. I have the ksw on 9 out of 12. The sub setting on the receiver is at 0 (all the way up) and I have the other setting on subwoofer. Should it set it on both? I thought it was better for all the signal below 90 hz to go to the sub.

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

DVD Player SONY S-360

Hmmmm. I have to keep my KSW-12 at about 7 on the dial or it overpowers my Scala's. I am using a Y adapter. I tried taking the Y adapter off and it does makes a difference. I also don't have my sub in a corner. It's as close to my Scala's as I can get it and about 8' from each corner. It's Also set about 10" from the back wall. I think the "boomy" bass you here about with the KSW's comes from them being stuffed in a corner.

------------------

Yamaha RX-V620 receiver

1976 Klipsch La Scala's

Klipsch KSW12 Sub.

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch KG 3.5 rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Sharp 32" TV

I do have a y adapter on it. It is also in the corner. I will probably take it from the corner and just put it beside my left rf-3.

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

DVD Player SONY S-360

I've always assumed that most receivers had level controls for each speaker independently. My HK AVR80 does. Goes from -10db to +10db. I was just messing with it the other day to push the subs a little more. With the seperates I have, there are several ways for me to adjust bass.

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

Thanks for the Y-cable tip guys. During a reconfiguration of my home theater to accomodate a new receiver, I switched my sub from speaker level inputs to a single line input. I thought my sub had died. Tried the Y-cable to both line inputs, and viola - my sub was back, better and more powerful than ever! Now, as some have mentioned, I have to turn it down to keep proper levels.

------------------

System:

Technics SA-DA8

Sony CDP-C435 CD

Sony DVP-NS300 DVD

Hitachi UX617 VHS

Klipsch KG4's Fronts

Klipsch KG2.2's Surrounds

Klipsch SC-1 Center

Yamaha YST-SW100 sub

toddvj

do you mean hook the sub to the 6.1 pre out? I have it currently hooked up to the main sub pre out.

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

DVD Player SONY S-360

for my various equipment, i've tried the sub:no & using the L & R front preouts to the sub, but found the LFE & to be more dynamic using the sub preout & sub:yes. the LFE is a seperate channel & to me just doesn't sound as good blended in w/ the low bass of the other channels on the main speaks.

also i've found the low bass to be best for all sources setting all speaks to small (yes even bigger speaks). this works even better w/ an adjustable crossover in the preamp bass mgmt (i switch out the crossover on the sub). this all of course assumes a sub so capable of handling better by itself both the LFE & low bass.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

boa12,

Do i need to get another y splitter and plus it into the leaft and right preout or just plus it into one side. I already have a y splitter going into the sub. And if I use this option you are saying to switch it to sub=no and speaker size small

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

DVD Player SONY S-360

K-D, no if you use the main pre-outs, set the speaks to Large!! and sub to no. Otherwise the receiver will have nowhere to send the bass. A couple other things to check before you do that though--if I remember correctly, the Yamaha has a -10/0 for Sub, but doesn't it have the same for Mains? Make sure everything is at 0 to start with. Then go into the individual channel levels that MagnumMan mentioned (yes, the Yamaha has them, too.) And try adjusting the output that way. Then and only then, go to plan B, which is the suggestion I made earlier about using the Main Pre-outs. (BTW, if you get it to work from the sub output, set it at Both. That just means you will get the sub when playing stereo music as well as movies). Let me know how it works out.

------------------

My Home Theater

k-dad, what i was saying is I ruled out using the front preouts to my sub. but that's from my past experience using receivers w/ that fixed 80hz crossover. the best advice is try all the dif ways to your own liking, equipment & room response.

todd don't mean to be contradictory but the large vs small is really an issue of preference. i found w/ my big sub, klf-30 towers, & receiver w/ the fixed 80hz crossover, it sounded best w/ all speaks set small & the sub handling the low bass.

the problem is these receivers are using a fixed crossover spec'd to the thx 80hz or so levels, but our big towers aren't thx type speakers. so w/ mains large

i got terribly muddy bass because of the cancelation between the mains & sub. & reversing the phase on the sub didn't help much.

with a fixed 80hz crossover & 18" sub, having big tower speaks were really a waste of resources imho.

but now more seem to be coming out w/ adjustable crossovers in their receivers. some even go down from 80hz Smile.gif i just got seperates & set the pre/pro cross at 50hz. now it's fine. cwm35.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-06-2002 at 02:58 AM

Be aware that if your Receivers LFE cutoff is 90Hz or above, it could allow your sub to play up to almost a 100Hz freq. That will most likely intefer with your main speakers, increasing the chances of:

1) Unwanted and unnatural sounding standing bass waves,

2) Identifying the subwoofer as a bass source rather than a discrete one.

3) Excessive bass boom.

Either of these occurances would make for an unpleasant listening experience. With a good sub connected to an LFE out, you could set all speakers to small and the sub would handle all low bass signals below the appropriate receiver cutoff. With the system properly calibrated with an SPL meter, you could not tell what speaker is handeling those low bass duties. This also lessens the load on the receivers amps. Just my opinion.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

sorry todd. i misunderstood. yea if u decide to go w/ the main preouts to sub & sub:no, definitely mains:large. i think most receivers will force mains:large when u set sub:no, though my marantz will let mains be set small as long as the rears:large (not desirable).

when i get to expanding my 2nd sys w/ the marantz sr8000 & acurus 200five amp, i'm going to seriously look at that outlaw icbm or similar device to go between them. then i could set large & dial down the cross to the rf-3 on that bass manager to the 40-60hz range. though the icbm only has steps of 40hz, 60, 80,

etc for each channel group. still it's only about $250.

shape, sorry to be a stickler but most if not all receivers don't have an LFE cut-off. they send all lfe to the sub out only as long as sub:yes. that's why i was saying w/ the sub preout line connection, one shouldn't use the crossover on the sub because it will cut-off LFE, unless u have a control apparently like some of the yamaha that allows u to send LFE to both the sub & mains. but guessing u meant low bass, not lfe; &, most use a fixed 80hz, yamahas 90hz, & some possibly up to 100hz tops.

but i agree on your bass quality points. for low bass (small vs large), even a fixed 80hz is too high if u have a good sub & big speaks capable of producing down to 50hz or so.

some receiver makers like b&k & sony es have been addressing this for a while now. denon just started w/ their new 4802.

please keep in mind i'm a real finicky stickler on my bass. a fixed 80hz or even higher crossover works fine

for most normal people, & even whether they go large or small. Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-06-2002 at 03:24 PM

boa,

"but guessing u meant low bass, not lfe; &, most use a fixed 80hz, yamahas 90hz, & some possibly up to 100hz tops."

Thanks for pointing out the lfe cutoff error statement. I did mean low bass! Initially with just fronts set to large & KSW 12. My bass sounded boomy and rolled around up front. Turning up sub volume just localized its bass. Adding an SVS and setting all speaks to small cured my problem. No doubt the dynamics of a larger room contributed as well.

Thanks for the helping hand.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 01-06-2002 at 06:47 PM

wes, same here. even w/ the B&K pre/pro where i can send low bass to both the mains & sub (fronts:large, sub:ultra settings), instead the bass is more defined using the settings of ALL the speaks set small & sending that low bass from the 50hz cross (high pass) to the sub only. even w/ klf 30, they seem to sound best w/ the high pass filter at 50hz & 12db/octave slope. which means they're still putting out some down to their capability of 36hz & lower.

also helps that the low pass (also at 50hz) keeps the sub from producing as much over 50hz which could cause that sub directionality as u said.

but that's just my room & prefs. experimentation is key.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-06-2002 at 07:46 PM

Yea, agree w/experimentation, but I'm limited by my receivers fixed crossover point. So optimized as best due to the limitations. Sometime this year, hope to get a seperate Pre/Pro that will give me similar adjustability for crossover freqs that you have. Got KSW wired to receiver mains due to serious sub hum when using splitter for LFE to amp for SVS. Sounds like the B&K mets all your HT needs. Do you use it for 2 channel music too?

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 01-07-2002 at 05:24 PM