Question for Altec guys

Spongeworthy

What is the difference between an Altec 902-8B versus a 902-8T?

Thanks.

I thought that the T version was with a 70 V distribution transformer. I will see if I have the data sheet at work.

According to this link the driver is a 500 Hz cutoff design with a filter cap.

http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/SpeakerAndMics/drivers/902-8A%20902-16A%20902-8T%20HF%20Drivers.pdf

People weren't making berylium diaphragms when Altec stopped making those.

The 'T' as a lighter weight aluminum diaphragm, and gives a higher end freq. response. They were replaced by the 'B' diaphragms, and those drivers also had a loading cap on the back, and could handle increased power. At least that is what I have read elsewhere. I think Great Plains Audio has some info on this topic posted somewhere on their website.

"design with a filter cap."

It's a mechanical loading cap to reduce the rear chamber volume.

"People weren't making berylium diaphragms when Altec stopped making those. "

Yamaha was making Be direct radiator domes in the mid 70s, Pioneer hired some ex-JBL engineers and made Be compression drivers in the late 70s (TAD). JBL has recently started making Be compression drivers.

People weren't making berylium diaphragms when Altec stopped making those.

The 'T' as a lighter weight aluminum diaphragm, and gives a higher end freq. response. They were replaced by the 'B' diaphragms, and those drivers also had a loading cap on the back, and could handle increased power. At least that is what I have read elsewhere. I think Great Plains Audio has some info on this topic posted somewhere on their website.

Bruce,

So what is the "A" as in 8-A or 16-A?

Thanks,

tc