Front Row At Strathmore - Jethro Tull (Last Night)

garymd

What do I know compared to your website?

Apparently not much. You said that until TAAB was the first opportunity for most of the US to see them. Then you backtracked by saying what you meant by that was up 'till that point they were only on the West Coast (read California), East Coast and Det., and it was not until TAAB that they played major venues and the american hearland. Then tour history shows you were wrong again, in just the prior year they played all over the US.

Now, because you have some backstage passes from Hot Tuna and Bette Middler you are some sort of expert on Jethro Tull. Did you work security, help carry cable around, or did you stir the chili at the back stage buffet? You still are dead wrong about how much they toured and where they toured before TAAB came out.

Travis

I made a comment in reference to a statement made that they were overhyped prior to Thick as a Brick, when in fact, much of the US market had not had the opportuity to see them. Additionally, the tour in support of the album began before the album had even been released in the US. Their exposure to many parts of the country had been limited compared to where the Thick as a Brick Tour would take them. They were still growing in popularity and many had yet to see them or to have become readily familiar with them. The Thick as a Brick Tour was a major step in consistent venue size penetration outside of the coasts and midwest (re Detroit and Chicago), and it was perceived as a major advancement in market penetration that offered them an opportunity to make them much more well known. Overhyped? Hardly. Many major markets had yet to have the opportunity to see them in concert. More than any other Tull tour to date, the Thick as Brick Tour sought to remedy that issue.

Up until Aqualung, Tull was at best a niche market 'underground' act in a day dominated by Top40 radio. With Aqualung, they had become better known with the greater airplay of several songs. The Thick as Brick tour sought to greatly expand on that.

They had certainly not yet grown the market to its potential, and they had certainly not reached the status of being 'overhyped'.

I have not bactracked at all.

Again, the predominate progression with the Thick as a Brick tour was to frequent consistently larger capacity venues with a greater breadth in geographic coverage and exposure.

But you simply whine and moan based upon some website you have seen.The irony is that I did have the opportunity to work with them as part of the band's sound crew assisting in the FOH mix. Expert? You are the one who sets up that strawman! I know the world from the point of the sound crew and it was my charge to tech and mix (and to contribute to putting out any other fire that may have arisen.). We got out between 1 and 230AM just in time for the most lavish parties (yeah right) and more often than not were simply praying for a shower and trying to figure out where in hell the hotel was - if we had time to actually sleep before taking of for the next venue.. And yes, I had the opportunity to work sound for not only several tours with Tull, but also in conjunction with several other bands and sound companies. I had the opportunity via networking to work with quite a number of large acts. The oil crisis of the 1970s changed the dynamics (read economics) of the touring landscape for many bands, in fact leading to the demise of quite a few.. So did the changing music trends. So by 1980, many of us transitioned out of working the road.

And you have some very strange preoccupation that playing 'the Fillmore' implied widespread market penetration and success. Borromline, they were still small venue theaters. And while they had a reputation (as much by inference by readers of magazines), many shows there by quite a few bands were not always sold out. And reputation aside, a 2000+- seat venue is still a small venue! ...Regardless of how 'big' it is in your....(ok, I'll resist)...mind. Personally the most interesting of those type of venues was definately the Warehouse in New Orleans... But you will just have to find another website or magazine to discover why.

But for some reason you are the one threatened. I offered no radical interpretations. My comments are made based upon my recollections and the concensus of people who were actually involved in the endeavor.. And I posted passes representative of 3 different Tull tours, and several others from other shows with which I was associated in an audio production capacity, for you see, I am quite adept at teching and mixing a sound system, however you may 'feel'.. It will probably confuse you that I have done this for many bands, venues, functions and record companies. But I find it humorous that you cite non sequitur passes to support your completely ridiculous and malicious assertion. But then, the irony is that YOU are now the authority based upon reading some website and a ticket stub. It is one thing to have been there and to have done it and to know the event from the perspsective of a participant as opposed to having only read about it or to have at most been only an utterly clueless spectator.

So I guess you are the expert, as you managed to note that I stuck in a few completely non seqitur passes from other jobs of the same general period (which I made a note of pointing out).

But then I had the opportunity to work with many bands with whom we shared the bill, with a great variety and nature of encounters... And although its pretty obvious , I guess some might consider it inappropriate if I were to suggest that you haven't a clue regarding any of the dynamics of touring and the interaction of a touring entourage, let alone the technical aspects of audio....as you have previously done on several occassions based upon your demonstrated inability to read for meaning within context. But then you ae the one who has initiated personal attacks as well. But I forget, you have read something that someone else said. And even you should know the value of hearsay...or maybe not...

After reading your objections and your limited reasoning, I think I can better appreciate how some chose which erudite 'audio' and acoustic topics on which to spend so much time debating. And I can better appreciate your continued insight into all things acoustic...just cite the magazine or album cover from which any idea comes. Does anyone still read Rolling Stone?

But at least in this capacity it really doesn't matter. Go read your magazine or website to learn what some things were/are like. Some of us don't have too.

So now you modify your obsession and accusation from if I was at any shows to what I was doing at many shows. But I'm glad you know so much about live sound. I guess that means that you have been to a concert! I'll just have to remember that the majority of folks had seen Tull at least once before the Thick as a Brick tour... And why it is that so many still don't know which one is Jethro Tull... ROFLMAO

Jethro Tull was a headline group before the OVERRATED Thick as a Brick ................ Benefit and Aqualung sold many, many copies before Thick's releash .............. Thick as a Brick strated a downhill spiral for Tull, and they never recovered, one album, Too Old to Rock and Roll was good,the rest so-so ............ A little Light Music is good also .................. Jethro Tull should be seen Ian Anderson is quite a performer ........

• Moderators

Mas,

You may be an expert in sound mixing, but you are no expert in what opportunity the US had to see Tull before TAAB. One does not have anything to do with the other. If you had been on tour with them in 1971 you would have known all of the places they played, and to what crowds, but you obviously were not. As much as you want to try and talk about other issues like venues, etc., the facts about this discussion are these:

Coytee says:

Upshot, I was greatly let down. I think the rest of the crowd was too. About the only thing of his "old" stuff was a medley they did. Now, had they done the SAME songs in whole, I think the entire concert would have been different.

You respond in your typical condecending, know-it-all tone:

I am guessing that you are still listening to InAGaddaDaVida and Whole Lotta Love at least 4 times each, everyday...right??????? (If so, that may explain allot!)"TYPE=PICT;ALT=Stickouttongue"Image1.gif You really can't fault them for getting just abit burned out on it as well, despite someone who listens to them once every 3 years and who thinks they have all been dead for 20 years wanting to hear it! Oh, and to borrow a phrase..."Which one is Jethro? Isn't he the guy who plays flute?...." "TYPE=PICT;ALT=Confused"Image2.gifBut in fairness, I also understand what you mean...

OB then comments on Gary’s going to see them, and adds his opinion about TAAB:

"Thick as a Brick" was a major disappointment to me, expected better than that, all the hype !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then you come up with this, as the introduction to your response:

But the Thick as a Brick tour was the first time (and opportunity) for MOST Americans to even see them.

I responded very simply thus:

They did full US tours in 69, 70 and 71. In '69 they played with bands like Spirt, Mountain, even Led Zeppelin when they both backed up Vanilla Fudge. Living in the Past was actually recorded in the US (Orange, New Jersey) while they were on tour. By '71 Tull was the headliner, with Yes playing backup, and they were filling venues like the LA Forum. There was plenty of opportunity for people to see Tull long before '72. Travis

I knew from memory that Tull had toured big time in 1971 because of a band they had played with. I knew they also toured in '69 and '70 I was simply stating that they were playing places like the LA forum with Yes and that was a bit more then the first time for "Most Americans to see them."

I guess you then go to your book or website and pull up their tour history and say, "oh no, they did do a bit of touring that year, and prior years, I better qualify my statement" by saying

Prior to this the shows were primarily small venues (and LOTS of roller rinks!) primarily on the coasts (Boston, NYC, Seattle, Pasadena), in addition to Detroit and Chicago (quite a few shows with Blood, Sweat and Tears.). It wasn't until the The Thick as Brick tour, that a pattern contiunued for several years of playing the large university arenas and cites in a more diverse and widely distributed market.

1970 saw shows on the West coast (read California) and NYC, with a few scattered in AZ, TX, St. Louis, a few in Detroit and a few more on the East Coast, primarily in NYC. And more shows were spent primarily with folks like John Sebastian, Ballin' Jack, Clouds, Mott the Hoople and Lee Michaels.

1971 in the US was spent primarily on the East Coast and in California until Clive Bunker split. And again, the majority of shows were being performed in odd markets dominated by the inevitable Roller Rinks! The summer of '71 had a stint of shows with Yes and still more roller rinks with a smattering of a few larger venues mostly in the fall of '71 with a few more Civic Colliseums and University fieldhouses as I guess the Roller Rinks must have been booked with birthday parties.

The way you were bouncing back and forth, from "first opportunity for most Americans to see them" to they were just appearing at East and West Coast locations and roller rinks. Based on you going back and forth I figured you were just digging it up from a web site as you went along. I also point out that they were playing the Fillmore East and West.

I then posted one of a dozen Tull websites where all of their tour information can be found so folks can draw their own conclusions, and get the information as easily as you.

You then respond by saying:

I never said that Thick as a Brick was the first time for anyone in the US to see them. Learn to read! It was a major change in both the touring block bookings featuring a widespread US exposure in areas other than the coasts and Detroit and it was the first tour booked primarily into large venues.

For all of the hype and mysticism associated with the Fillmores, the Warehouse, Winterland, etc. they were still small format venues!.

You, as per usual with you, throw a red herring into the mix by talkinng about the mysticism of the Fillmores, etc. instead of acknowledging that there may have been more opportunity for people in the U.S. to see Tull prior to TAAB. (There is a reason there is hype and mysticism associated with those venues by the way, something you will never understand).

I then post, from the website, where they in fact toured that year. I guess you were not aware of all of the cities they covered (in addition to the coasts and Detroit) because you missed the bus, or they told you that the tour was over so they did not have to listen to you any more, or you tried to tell Ian how to play flute and they showed you out the door. But whatever, folks are aware of those venues, they know what they hold, they know where they are located, and they know for a fact that Tull was not limited to roller rinks, primarily on the coasts.

I am sure you know things about Tull and other bands I will never know, as well as sound mixing etc. But you were apparently not on tour with them in '69, '70 or '71, because there was a lot of opportunity for a lot of Americans to see Tull before you got on board. The fact that you may have been at every show for TAAB will not change that.

Travis

Mas,

I don't have a problem when another forum member has interesting information to share but it is extremely irritating when someone is consistently condescending to almost everyone. You obviously are a very bright guy with lots of knowledge on a number of subjects but....... was that comment you made to Coytee really necessary (just one example)? Also, it's OK to admit you're wrong on occasion. I do it myself quite often but we all make mistakes. Chill out and try to get along with folks. It won't kill you. I promise. If we're not smart or sophisticated enough for you, I'm sure there's an advanced physics forum or a high order calculus derivitives chat room somewhere on the net that would love to have you as a member.

Your pal,

Gary

I think I need to stick my nose in here again and say something on behalf of MAS (not that I really think he needs me saying anything)

I've gotten to know him (via phone conversations) and have an understanding of his sense of humor. This isn't to say that his humor might be the best or clear to all, just that I personally, have a sense of it and actually, usually get a kick out of it. I have myself, directed some 'barbs' his way (if I may call them that) from time to time and they are done in the spirit of a smile and a friendly jab towards him, they are not ill intended. I don't ever really want to offend anyone although it's fun sometimes to irk Craig... [:^)]

Regardless how his comment MIGHT have sounded to others, it actually made me smile & chuckle a bit because if it WAS directed towards me, note he DID qualify his post with (Just a bit of perspective...and assorted rambling...) Now, had he used Marie Osmond & "Paper Roses", I'd have to have gone "Jim Hunter" on him!! [:o]

So, if it WAS directed at me, I took it as a poke of fun and nothing meant in any kind of mean spirit. If it wasn't directed at me, then it was a general jab at "anyone". Either way, there was nothing registered by me, other than a possible jab by him, probably from one of my jabs sent to him.

I will say that MAS has admitted to me on being wrong several times.... (yes, you saw this coming)... usually those times when he THOUGHT he was wrong but was actually right [:D]

I wish more of you would take him up on his offers every now & then to discuss an item of interest on the phone. I'd bet that virtually anyone who has in fact done so and had a chance to chat with him, MUCH better understands from where he is coming (with his intent and heart) than he seems to convey.

To draw an analogy... I'm sure that some of you might have heard me say this before... [;)]

I know some people that can tell you that your wife is ugly and you should go stick your head in a toilet. You WILL walk away from this person STILL thinking they're the coolest, smoothest person you know and gosh...you'd like to be just like them... They just have that charisma about them.

Then there is the "other" kind of person, I will use myself as an example. I can sometimes simply give someone the time of the day and in doing that, somehow tick (no pun intended, but it works better in public than the other word I wanted to use [:|]) them off. I just don't have the charisma that some have. That's not good / bad... it's just the way it seems to be and so be it.

Now that I've gotten to know him, I SIGNIFICANTLY understand from where MAS is coming and as he's typing some of these "rude" remarks, I can hear him laughing and smiling in what I would suggest is an honest friendly way. It's just that somewhere between the brain and the typist (fingers) something short circuits and gets lost in translation, making said comments come out (IMHO) sounding worse than they're intended.

ok... I'll go hide behind my rock now that I'm out of the closet.

This is amazing, and an utter waste of time concerning with whom the notion of communicating meaning is intended.

I was insulting to Coytee? Hey, if I want to insult him, I am quite capable fo doing that in a much more capable and direct manner! In fact, I would have contacted him personally!

Now all I have to do is find ANY reason to do so. Hear that Richard?!?!?! Don't f$#% with me! (BTW, I hope all is well with the family!)

I can just see Richard rolling his eyes now (as he runs to disconnect the phones at the prospect of my calling!), despite the fact that the taunt is utterly ridiculous and without foundation - but hey Richard, it is so much fun and SO easy to get the Pre-Cambrian haploids running about thinking they understand what is being referenced. But don't worry, give them a chance and let them respond in their definitive judgemental manner.

But Richard, you will have to pardon me as I am still stuck on where I did anything but playfully make jabs in reference to past conversations and shared references - and at least in part due to your playful invitation.

And to the others whose role includes playing mother, for me to say that at least a few of you are confused as to what I refer, but then that would be redundant - and no, that is not a joke. That's as literal as it comes.

And for the drunken lawyer...that IS to what your nom de plume refers, is it not? I would spend the next 2 hours extolling the dangers of participating in driving under the influence, just as you have in your strawman debate, but such an erudite scholar already knows that. But alas, I have no desire to search for a website from which to gather my information and render it like a stomach pump as you do so well.

So, I said that no one in the US had a chance to see Tull prior to Thick as a Brick.??? Yup. That's right! NO ONE! In fact, I too was shocked when I got a call and was offered a job. My first reaction was "Who?", followed by "Why?", followed by "Why me?" After all, I, like everyone else, had never even heard of them.

Had they toured? Sure. Had they sold some albums? Sure. Had they experienced increasing exposure with Aqualung? Sure.

The fact was, in market terms, they were still expanding - growing their market.

The fact was, in terms of the scope of their production, this was expanding as well. And this would expand even more significantly (the word would be "dramatically") with the Passion Play tour.

Now why do I say that the scope of the tour, both in terms of the average size (capacity) of the venue was increasing, and that the range of the target cities/markets was changing to include more stops in the likes of Iowa, Oklahoma, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky...places outside of the normal major markets on the coasts and a few Midwest cities- places someone might refer to as the "Heartland"? The reason was that this was exactly (well maybe not in the exact same words) is how things were explained to me. (Had I only had access to the website so that I could have called them a liar!...)

The intent with this tour was to expand the market. And as unbelievable as this may be, tours were specifically designed to do two things: one, make money for the band, as that is where the preponderance of their salaries were generated, and two, to support the album - to increase awareness of and to augment sales and exposure and concert attendence. It's a business,kids!

And the fact is, that is exactly what Thick as a Brick did. There were plenty of markets where folks got to see Tull for the first time. Especially in the large capacity college venues.

The fact is that I had gotten to know a few folks on several of their prior tours in addition to networking with a few common acquaintances. Many of their appearances, were dominated by small venues and Roller Rinks, just like the Faces with Rod Stewart, who in 1969 were playing many shopping center parking lots! And they too were playing the Fillmores! It was you who first brought up the fact that they were playing the Fillmore several times! And they were. But with a capacity of ~2000, they could have played the venue 100 times, and assuming that each audience was unique with no repeat attendees, less than half of Manhattan could have seen them!

Oh, but the Village Voice or Rolling Stone might have had a write up! And as that is the measure of all things business, they could have all retired!

And during this thar time, their appearance in Washington DC. (granted a very small town) was in the Alexandria Roller Rink. Everyone in the DC area was there! Yup, as long as that total was under 2000 max! A HUGE show. Oh, and as far as the Faces with Rod Stewart, fresh from the Jeff Beck Group, they were playing the Turnpike-Pickett shopping center parking lot in Fairfax, Virginia in August, 1969 within weeks of Woodstock. What? You mean you didn't read about the crowds estimated in excess of 300,000 in Fairfax? Surprising, as we all thought it dwarfed Woodstock and served as the template for the Isle of Wight...

So despite how famous and how everyone had had a chance to see them, as you assert, they were still intent to increase their market penetration and esposure.

So you will pardon my surprise as I discover my misunderstanding...as I
have now been informed that the strategy was not only phony, but obviously a complete
failure! Oh well. LOL

Now run back to the website you found and attempt to prove that they indeed played shows prior to the Thick as a Brick tour and try to prove something to yourself. (We'll wait...) But it is obviously a wasted attempt to convey the little bit that I know, despite it being based upon direct contact, and not some website. And to think, I made such incredible assertions!.ROFLMAO

The fact is that the majority of folks here had not seen Tull prior to the Thick as a Brick tour. This tour allowed a wider demographic base to see them in more places than ever before, just as was intended. But if you want to continue proving to yourself that they toured previously, go ahead. And then you can again point out how significant their playing the Fillmore was and then try to put that off on me. My intent was to point out tat their playing there meant little to anyone with the exception of the press in that it may have provided more promotional exposure due to its notoriety. Little else, as ONLY 2000 folks in the entire NYC area seeing them might ordinarily be seen as a failure!!!
Ooooooo...but it was the Fillmore.

So, at least one person knows that Tull toured prior to the Thick as a Brick tour!

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for the rest of you who don't get all of your data from a website or the TV news, the Thick as a Brick tour did also denote an expansion of the production aspects of the show, to be expanded still further with Passion Play.

And as far as those who were already burned out on Tull by this point, I would suggest that this had nothing to do with Tull.

And if my humor escapes you folks, you have no business listening to Tull at all!

Isn't it amazing what a playful response and a factual statement addressing the scope and intent of the tour from a 'strategic management/marketing" aspect can trigger? I love the sanctimonius personal attacks originating from so many who claim so loudly to find them objectionable. Especially when it is a result of the total misunderstanding of the posts. And I do find it hilarious. Completely asinine, but definately hilarious! And anyone who knows me should definitely appreciate that. But those who are so intimately concerned have never made an attempt to find out. A momentary lapse in their investigative prowess I suppose...

But don't worry Richard, I can pretty much guarantee that the majority have missed the abundant jest intended here, as well as the legitimate responses to personal attacks (which except as far as they distract from the factual underpinnings) don't bother me. I really don't care what faceless folks who exist only in a virtual space care. But then 'the dozens' is a fun game to play. And I suspect that the majority here likewise have no idea to that which 'the dozens' refers.

...And for the folks who have missed the point of the drunken attorney's vitriol: Tull did tour prior to the Thick as a Brick tour. And for Richard, I would try to make you laugh more, but Supernatural is coming on the TV, and I do have priorities. It's nice to see a sensible show that represents reality in a manner more sane than this forum. ROFLMAO!!!

And if my humor escapes you folks, you have no business listening to Tull at all!

Res Ipsa

And who knows more about negligence than the very embodiment of it. Truly spoken as an authority. I defer.

But I am a bit disappointed that you haven't provided some hearsay quote from some website. LOL

• Moderators

But I am a bit disappointed that you haven't provided some hearsay quote from some website. LOL

I don't need to, you are the expert, we have you for that. You pull it off and put it out, except you can't get the facts right. I only checked a website to see if the swill you were trying to sell was accurate or not. My memory is getting terrible and I wanted to be sure that I was remembering those prior tours.

Low and behold that web site shows that you were wrong. Then you go off on multiple tangents because you are the expert. Fact is that they played many of the same venues in '71 and '72. They even played a highschool in 72, something they were able to avoid in '71. Is the website wrong? Everything you are saying is hearsay, you have admitted that. Your trouble was you went and shot your mouth off about the sgnificance of a tour before they got the likes of you which you had no knowledge of, hearsay or otherwise.

By the way, to my knowledge the Fillmore East held more then 3,000, maybe as many as 4,000, but you can look it up on a website and tell me I am wrong or becasue you were a soundman you counted the seats one day, I am sure you would know. I know for sure it held more then 2,000.

As to the Fillmore East's capacity, it didn't matter. As a former sound man for Jethro Tull, I can understand how you may not understand this, but it didn't matter what the Fillmore East held, it could have been 500. What mattered was who was in the 500, or 2,000 or 3,000 when you played.

Travis

And who knows more about negligence than the very embodiment of it.

It has nothing to do with negligence. It means, The Thing Speaks for Itself, refering to your quote.

Quote:

"RES IPSA LOQUITUR - Lat. "the thing speaks for itself." Refers to
situations when it's assumed that a person's injury was caused by the
negligent action of another party because the accident was the sort
that wouldn't occur unless someone was negligent."

and

" res ipsa loquitur
(rayz
ip-sah loh-quit-her) n. Latin for "the thing speaks for itself," a
doctrine of law that one is presumed to be negligent if he/she/it had
exclusive control of whatever caused the injury even though there is no
specific evidence of an act of negligence, and without negligence the
accident would not have happened. Examples: a) a load of bricks on the
roof of a building being constructed by Highrise Construction Co. falls
and injures Paul Pedestrian below, and Highrise is liable for
Pedestrian's injury even though no one saw the load fall. B) While
under anesthetic, Isabel Patient's nerve in her arm is damaged although
it was not part of the surgical procedure, and she is unaware of which
of a dozen medical people in the room caused the damage. Under res ipsa
loquitur all those connected with the operation are liable for
negligence. Lawyers often shorten the doctrine to "res ips," and find
it a handy shorthand for a complex doctrine.

See also: negligence"

and

"res ipsa loquitur

A Latin term meaning "the thing speaks for itself." Res ipsa loquitur
is a legal doctrine or rule of evidence that creates a presumption that
a defendant acted negligently simply because a harmful accident
occurred. The presumption arises only if (1) the thing that caused the
accident was under the defendant's control, (2) the accident could
happen only as a result of a careless act and, (3) the plaintiff's
behavior did not contribute to the accident. Lawyers often refer to
this doctrine as "res ips" or "res ipsa.""

or

"Res Ipsa Loquitur

"Striving For Mediocrity Since 2002" "

http://res-ipsa.the-blinding-white-light.com/

But I guess its nice to have goals. One of which might include understanding what you state.

Aren't websites fun?!?

Hint: Read for meaning.

And rather than point out the obvious, the quote does speak for itself. If only you didn't. ROFLMAO

(For those who don't get it, read his statement and the quote and match the words with the same letters and spellings. Get help if you need to.)

Isn't it funny how they use the word that has nothing to do with the meaning so many times in the definition...

And while you are at it, look up the meaning of 'hearsay'. I was actually involved in the conversation.

And now the issue is who was in the audience that defines the meaning of "everyone"! ROFLMAO!!!!!

And again, so looking up the formal attendance figure for a maximum capacity of 3,664 for the Fillmore East (the Fillmore West less than 2000), 100 shows still would not afford more than a fraction of the population of NYC to see the shows, and it may come as news, being as you are located in a largre megalopolis, but the surrounding area has a population that is somewhat larger. And regarding your erudite insight reflected by your selective attention: 'who cares about the Fillmore West'? ROFLMAO!!! No one! And except for the notoriety, even less in the scheme of a national tour. My point exactly.

Yet you still miss the point of the original casual comment from which you derived your entire tempest in a tea pot. My point stands. And whether you understand it or not, who the %$#& cares? At some point we just have to acknowledge reality and your incapacity to grasp a concept. Oh well. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Now we are going to watch him unearth every typo and try to make a point, the original which was simple and has been repeately stated ,but which still fails to register in the mind of one for whom even Latin is redefined.

This thread is exhausted except to watch you parody yourself.

Suddenly lawyer jokes seem woefully inadequate...and redundant.

This is hilarious. But then the best comedy often involves laughing at someone else's tragedy. Richard, I hope you are laughing! Pet Chloe for me...

I just have to stick my innocent head in here and say thank you to DWI and MAS for the tet a tet on cut and paste posting. Surely you two bucks have better things to spend your time on[:o] I had to double check where I was seeing it felt like I was in BS[;)] LOL

Rob, you know I think the world of you but IMHO you are dead wrong about Ian and the boys because I have his stuff soup to nuts and just like any of the other old farts like us that still are in the business have grown with age and I can still get where Ian is coming from on every release. You need me to send you copies of Broadsword, "A" and some more recent stuff. I don't think you are being fair to them but you are entitled[:D]

Thick is one of my favorite concept albums of all time[H]

If you lighten up I'll send you all I have of Levon also[:P]

kaiser, It's just my opinion, but Tull's best work was their Early work ;This Was, Stand-up, Benefit, all time favorites, Aqua Lung, too overplayed, too popular, their Masterpiece, none the less.... I waited, drove the record store crazy, waiting for a copy of Thick as a Brick, it's ok, overhyped, different in only a way Ian Anderson could do, I was disappointed ............... since then, only Too Old To Rock and Roll, and A Little light Music, have I liked, now A is one I should listen to, but most of the others don't do much for me .......... just my taste, the early Tull stuff, A Blues Band with a Flute, Go Figure !!!!!!!!!!

Have you ever seen them live? Good show .....

OB,

TAAB was pretty early stuff. As a matter of fact, it was made up of many different tunes they had written over a period of time. I have the 25th anniversary CD that includes a full copy of the newspaper and an interview with the band discussing how they wrote the album/song and pieced all the music together.

Personally, I think it's a brilliant piece of work and IMHO, the best album from a band with many great albums. That's just my opinion of course. I love most of their early work but admit I stopped buying their albums by the late 70s.