Trading my rf-83 for heresy III?

Jay481985

Jay, I had new 7's & immediately put Dean's networks in because it made them better. They were very nice but I much prefer heritage, it's a fuller sound to me. You can see below what I have now. A couple of months ago I bought a pair of mid 90's Heresy 2's that had been stored for about 8 yrs, for use in my office. The dang things are so good they're still in my bedroom i'm enjoying them so much. To me, they are as good as my cornwalls but not my cornscalas. I just bought some gadget thing from Dean so I may go ahead & take them to the office.

I'm using a little sub with them & I know you have a good sub so put them on stands to get the horns ear level & I bet you'll be fine. The 3's are better than 2's anyway & they are a breeze to tote around. I will never sell mine...besides they're cute & girls like'm.[H]

• Moderators

Hey Jay how you doing ?

I really like the Heresy. The H lll has the same mid and high freq speakers as the C lll, just less bass then the Cornwall, so Heresy lll + your sub = [:|]

To be fair, i have to say the only place I heard the RF-83 was at the pilgrimage, so to compare the 2, I can't. But we have Heresy 1 and 2 here and they are really nice and the lll is even better. Have you had any time to listen to the H lll again to compare to yours ?

I have to tell you what we did when Groomlake visited and gave Buddy (my grandson) some H ll's. We went in my workshop and put the Heresy ll and the Forte ll on the table one on the left channel the other on the r. Except for the extra bass on the F ll I was very suprised with the little Heresy.

Hello Dtel, life is busy being that it is finals weeks at rutgers. Also everything is just hectic in my life thought its good hectic. I was just thinking about the heresy as an alternative first because it is a three way, second it is much smaller. The fact is lugging 100 pound 4 feet tall speakers are not for the faint of heart. I think the Heresy will be a better choice except for the fact I use the speakers when I sit in my 12X13 room where the desk is smack in the middle next to the wall. Since the RF-83 are 4 feet tall I have not problems hearing it because the horn is at ear level when i sit. The qualm I have with the Heresy is the fact that they might be too short being 2 feet tall that I may not have the horns angled to hear properly.....

All in all if I do change, I am probably going to sell my rf-83 for around 800 a pair or so.
Also I still have an rsw12 that looks around 400 or so.
I will not ship any.... please do not email or pm about shipping.

I almost wonder if you shouldn't go with a pair of the RB-81's:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rb-81.aspx

The bass is obviously going to be handled very well by your subwoofer and the RB-81's will let you put the speakers on your desk. Also, being a two-way with just one woofer, the convergence distance is going to be a lot shorter, which should really help tighten up the sound in your room.

The Heresy III is probably too big to put on your desk, and like you said, sitting on the floor isn't going to sound right either. I suppose you could always find yourself some speaker stands, but then you're just wasting space. I've also found that the sound of the Heresy seems to gel right around 10 feet...they really aren't nearfield speakers (which is how you'd have to use them).

It's a hard choice, but I would probably stick with your RF-83's for now...despite them being uber annoying to move around.

It sounds like what you need is a good pair of Forte 2's. They're a real easy speaker to carry around and will get the sound up off the floor like you need.

what is funny is the fact I was comprehending the forte as everyone gives them stellar ratings. The RB-81 i think are not feasable, my desk is 4 feet wide so the soundstage will be too small...... I was looking at the for sale RB-75 but more or less if i do a 5.1 where I buy a RC-64. Also another thing is of the 4 foot wide desk, 2 feet is lost due to my monitor.... I brought a 24 inch lg computer monitor. And the desk has drawers on the left making it not a center desk but more lob sided. I centered the desk according to where my body is in relation to the room so the desk is off center but i sit in the middle of the room.

Also I still need to get the behemoth to work. aka the tcsounds lms5400.... trying to get a sonotube is hard!!! no one has 24 inch wide... And I think tcsounds will not have 18 inch pr for a while.

Also I was comprehending the rb-5 speakers for 400 dollars in baltimore as a alternative.

My vote would also be for the Forte', Forte II, or Quartet. Some of the best balanced speakers that Klipsch ever produced. I bought Forte's new in 1988 and kept them until 2000 when I had the opportunity to pick up some Belle Klipsch in Oak Lacquer w/cane grills.

The Forte' does everything well has the same footprint of the Heresy but just a bit taller. The only consideration for placement is the rear mounted passive radiator. Put some of popbumper's PCB based upgraded networks in them and watch out!

I dunno, as an owner of both RF and Heritage series, I wouldn't give up the RF-82's for Heresy III's. Yea the new Heresy is using the tractrix horn tweeter, but it would be sad to think that Klipsch couldn't come up with something better in 60 years. I look at the RF series as evolutionary and prefer my RF-52's with the RC-52 to my Heresy II's.

The detail in the RF series is beautiful, but they don't have the Heritage personality, which is a big part of what Heritage series is about. My Heresy II's have big sound, but even the 52's with the center are really much better, but this is me, much of this is taste and if this is what does it for you, then do it.

RF-52's, RC-52, Heresy II's, promedia 2.0's, Yamaha RX-V661, driven by dell Dimension E-521.

I almost wonder if you shouldn't go with a pair of the RB-81's:
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rb-81.aspx

The bass is obviously going to be handled very well by your subwoofer and the RB-81's will let you put the speakers on your desk. Also, being a two-way with just one woofer, the convergence distance is going to be a lot shorter, which should really help tighten up the sound in your room.

The Heresy III is probably too big to put on your desk, and like you said, sitting on the floor isn't going to sound right either. I suppose you could always find yourself some speaker stands, but then you're just wasting space. I've also found that the sound of the Heresy seems to gel right around 10 feet...they really aren't nearfield speakers (which is how you'd have to use them).

It's a hard choice, but I would probably stick with your RF-83's for now...despite them being uber annoying to move around.

It sounds like what you need is a good pair of Forte 2's. They're a real easy speaker to carry around and will get the sound up off the floor like you need.

I tend to agree with the good Doctor here.

I own RB-81's as my main system speakers and I had the opportunity to borrow Heresy-III's for a period to compare them in my particular system (Thanks Mr. Colter!). I run the system with a pair of RW-8 subwoofers to pick up below ~50hz to whatever the RW-8 bottoms out to (something like 32hz).

Now my living room is 14x17 and I found that indeed the Heresy needed a good distance to "gel" as I found myself more comfortable with the soundstage by sitting farther away from them (well the effect was achieved by moving my stands back towards the back wall). By comparison my RB-81's stand further out into the room.

If you're talking about putting these very close to you on a desk or something, I would go with a Reference bookshelf over the Heresy. You might even look at the older RSX or new ICON series stuff too, it's more compact for the desktop. That and I speak from experience as you'd have a seriously hard time prying the RSX-5's I use with my computer rig out of my cold dead hands, (subwoofer required though, IMO of course).

Now someone might ask which did I prefer the 81's or the H-III's in my main system? Well there wasn't anything like a hands down winner, but I did prefer the H-III. Mostly for various nuanced reasons, not for any major shining victory in some department over the 81's. Sometimes I just couldn't pick one or the other. So they're pretty close IMHO. I did prefer the H-III's on stands not on the floor. While they did sound good and imaged better than I would have suspected on the floor (I had the risers) they really sparkled on stands. With the subwoofers I didn't have to worry too much about loosing the bottom end you pick up by floorstanding them, although it did dry the midrange a little. However I really like the sound of monitors on stands out in a room, so I may be biased. Also the H-III gets a few brownie points for being a very attractive looking, all wood speaker with the retro heavy black grille cloth. I like the retro look. Not that the 81's don't look cool with the copper cones with the grilles off too...

However I did think, and I could be totally wrong (remember I'm just a humble web developer not a Klipsch engineer so I don't know anything just because I work here) that the RB-81 and H-III had a similar voicing. Which I guess isn't terribly suprising; Klipsch should sound like Klipsch.

I believe the RB-81 and the RF-82 share the same horn and horn driver. However the Horn is crossed 200hz lower in the RB-81 than the RF-82.

The RF-83 is unique in it's configuration.

I don't think you're going to find the same components of RF-83 in a smaller or different box.

In theory a sub and a pair of 81's ought to be a pretty respectable compact solution in place of a pair of RF-83's...like DrWho suggests. I think an audition would be required though to make a hard decision, if possible.

Maybe I missed it...but you have a pair of RF-83's set up next to a desk or something? That's pretty hardcore [:P]

• Moderators

What I was talking about with the Heresy and the Forte ll was hard to explain. I was expecting a bigger difference in sound, the Heresy has been around longer and was not really designed as stand alone speakers.

" Which I guess isn't terribly suprising; Klipsch should sound like Klipsch "

And they do, I guess it's the Klipsch voicing ? They sound a "little" different but still have the overall Klipsch sound. I guess I was just expecting more of a difference ?