Bose 901

nomad02rider

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest srobak

The only other "affordable" speaker I would take next to Klipsch is JBL.

Un-affordable - some big, old Martin Logan ReQuests, or BW 801s. Anything more and we are talking PA cabinets loaded with JBL or EV (Macphearson, etc)

Very interesting reading...you know a LOT of people have bought into the marketing...that's what the marketers want...

It is said that there is a sucker born every minute. Apparently the rate is much higher than that.

A favorite I heard when I worked in the car business: "There's an *** for every seat."

I had a buddy who was looking to upgrade his speakers and considering Bose, I asked him if he had ever heard Klipsch speakers and said no. I invited him over and asked him his favorite music and he said "anything by Steely Dan" So I threw on "Babylon Sisters" figuring that it had a wide range of vocals, horns and was well recorded. His comment, "It's like I never heard the song before!" Needless to say he bought Klipsch speakers.

I've had first-time listeners say that, too. Some of my music that I've had for years sounds transformed when I hear it for the first time on the JubScalas and nearly as much when they were regular La Scalas. I should point out that the music doesn't just sound different, it sounds much better.

One friend of mine who visits often has his favourite seat five feet off to one side of center, thinking that I'm the host and wouldn't want to give up my prime seat. I asked him to sit in the sweet spot for a change and he was amazed. "You can hear each instrument separately!" was his immediate comment. It seemed to be a new experience in hi-fi listening for him.

The only other "affordable" speaker I would take next to Klipsch is JBL.

Un-affordable - some big, old Martin Logan ReQuests, or BW 801s.  Anything more and we are talking PA cabinets loaded with JBL or EV (Macphearson, etc)

A friend had some B+W 801''s that did indeed sound good....but the problem is the assumption that they are very power hungry and he was constantly upgrading poweramps and wound up with something like 1000 watt monos (I sure was over kill) and My Khorns with a 50wpc 40 year old unserviced $100 craigslist special sound as good.....put one of my good amps on the khorns and forget about it....

Most people just don't get that with khorns or Lascalas you can get away with a clean $500-$1500 amp and it's all you will ever need to make them sing.....

A friend had some B+W 801''s that did indeed sound good....but the problem is the assumption that they are very power hungry and he was constantly upgrading poweramps and wound up with something like 1000 watt monos (I sure was over kill) and My Khorns with a 50wpc 40 year old unserviced $100 craigslist special sound as good.....put one of my good amps on the khorns and forget about it....

I have a friend who has B&W N802. I'm not impressed. Wonderful speaker, detailed, blah, blah, blah. He is constantly buying new gizmos to overcome the sound of speakers he simply does not care for. He has yet to realize this fact, even though he has changed everything BUT the speakers in the last ten years and still can't listen to music. His answer "I think I need the B&W 802D's". I told him I thought he needed some Klipsch as he enjoys music on my system much more than his own. He thought Klipsch were not "audiophile" grade, i.e. they are affordable. I showed him the Palladium line if he really HAD to spend money. That combined with his Mac gear should make for a stellar combo when you consider my much cheaper version of same synergy. He still wants the 802D's. Either I'm losing my old sales touch, or there is just no talking to some people.

I have a friend who has B&W N802. I'm not impressed. Wonderful speaker, detailed, blah, blah, blah. He is constantly buying new gizmos to overcome the sound of speakers he simply does not care for. He has yet to realize this fact, even though he has changed everything BUT the speakers in the last ten years and still can't listen to music. His answer "I think I need the B&W 802D's". I told him I thought he needed some Klipsch as he enjoys music on my system much more than his own. He thought Klipsch were not "audiophile" grade, i.e. they are affordable. I showed him the Palladium line if he really HAD to spend money. That combined with his Mac gear should make for a stellar combo when you consider my much cheaper version of same synergy. He still wants the 802D's. Either I'm losing my old sales touch, or there is just no talking to some people.

It's the same song and dance with my friend....I believe he started with a Mac MC 452 not enough headroom..traded up for 2 MC 501 monos and upgraded to the C500 preamp.....Still not happy.......traded up again to the MC1201 monos........thousand dollar interconnects , dedicated power lines, Blah blah....who knows what he really has sunk into the system....

I haven't been by in a while but The last time I listened the system sounded good....but you can tell he's not happy with it and I don't think it is in the same league with my "non-audiophile" my system that consists of ALK ES networked Khorns, $700 vintage amp, $600 turntable, $30 interconnects....but really good source material.

he won't listen either........

so do u like the 601's series 3?i been around EV and JBL,gauss all my life.But i know there is much better,i'm not well off like you guys.Just had my 1st baby boy.

don't get me wrong ,i'm not a bose fan,if anything i'm a Acoustic Researh fan.Mark Levinson use to use the m3 to demostare his amps.Did you know that.I have a pair of m3.Their not so great. but their other models are amazing.I have not really heard klipsch yet,except for the sub10 i have.And the rt10 and rc-7 that i made using their drivers.Best sound so far.I really would like to hear the lascala's

I really would like to hear the lascala's

You will be impressed. La Scalas need a sub to do the low end properly, but when teamed up with a decent sub, they make some really realistic music.

Used ones can be found at bargain prices sometimes, so if you have the room, a pair of La Scalas just might fit your budget.

any 1 got an od pair of lascala's?"

Here's a pair for $850 in New Orleans, listed in the Garage Sale section of this forum: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/107101.aspx

If that's too far away, keep checking until a closer pair show up. Also check Craigslist and Audiogon. Happy hunting!

Here's a pair in Roanoke, VA: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/107305.aspx

Some determined buyers have driven fair distances to get the speakers they want, like the guy on the forum who just did a 2500-mile trip to get a single 1951 Klipschorn. He seems very pleased with it. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/107020.aspx

A guy a Newton was selling a pair of EV Pat IVs and was looking to unload them (this was in 1981). I heard about them thru the BAS and went to have a look, eventually buying them. When I was at his pad I saw that he had replaced them with Bose 901s, FOUR PAIRS OF THEM, stacked four to a corner. He had added tweeters ( maybe Fraziers??).

I thought the setup sounded quite good.

i

use a h/k avr7000 got a carverpm1.5 but not connected yet. what you think ,most of the time i use it 6channel thru my x-fi soundblaster on my computer.what you think time to upgrade ?Yeah thats a little to far,but thanks .Remember im Brooklyn,thats in New York for those who don't know.also 800 is kind ve steep4 me .nut im sure i could sell the 601's if it comes to it.some1 said the lascala's lack base need a sub.How can that be if each has a 15"woofer.maybe the crossovers are not setup 4 bass?I know 15's in a house is a lot of woofer.should be a lot of bass.

Congrats on the baby boy BeerBrooklyn. We've got 2 teenage daughters. I know all about no audio budget. Also thrift stores, check garage, yard, and estate sales.... that's my best bet for upgrading anytime soon. Sometimes people get some really good stuff for next to nothing. I haven't but only really started looking a couple of months ago - scored some good music for cheap so not a total loss. Or even rescue some beaters that sound good from the dump. Now to get my uncle who works for an auctioneer to keep his eyes open.. .

what kind of speakers do you have ?and recommend?

i have a pair of jblm900's sitting in the cellar,also a/r m3 i don't use .when i sell the and my 2 custom built Klipsch sub wooffers im working on ,then i'll look into a pair of lascala's.tell you the truth if i can get the crossovers and drivers for cheap ,i mightbuild them myself. they look very simple.compared to other enclosures i have made.

some1 said the lascala's lack base need a sub.How can that be if each has a 15"woofer.maybe the crossovers are not setup 4 bass?I

The LaScalas do have bass. Very good, very fast, exceptionally low distortion bass. Very high efficiency.

But the bass rolls off below about 53 hz or so. So no deep bass. The 15" woofer is horn loaded. Excellent for ultra high efficiency and ultra low distortion. A bass horn is huge by it's very nature. The LaScala bass horn is folded a bit but we're still talking the size of a small (dorm sized) refrigerator, about 2x2x3 feet.

The Klipschorn is folded even more and extends the bass horn by being sealed into a corner using the walls of the room to continue the horn. Bigger yet and it's good to around 35 hz or so. A couple of Paul Klipsch's most important design goals were ultra low distortion and high efficiency. Horn loading the drivers gets you both and also allows the directivity to be tightlyl controlled in the higher frequency frequencies, another major goal which horns are also good at satisfying is smooth frequency response. I think there may be a fifth but I can't recall at the moment.

That said, I think I've read that the LaScala bass horn is a 125 hz horn so getting down to 53 hz or so is some serious engineering and understanding how it all works together. I also think some have built LaScala crossovers that improve and extend the bass. Others have otherwise modified the LaScalas to extend the bass. All speaker design as I'm sure you know is a tradeoff. For the LaScala it's the low bass that suffers. A lot of people think thery're fine for music without a subwoofer but probably depends on the type of music one listens to. I'd think flat to 30 hz or so would be minimal but would still want down to 15 hz or so for movies at least.

It sounds like you're pretty good at woodworking so maybe you could pick up some beater LaScalas, with some luck, pretty cheap and reveneer them. Probably a bit complex with my level of veneering experience but I'm hoping to find some beaters stupidlly cheap.... or scrape up some money to buy something decent, probably not LaScalas unless I get really lucky. That'll be a few months at best but probably a few years.

Happy hunting and good luck.