OPPOulence!!!!

Mallette

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered a 980H and it arrived today. i needed a new DVD player so I thought I would give it a go. I do not have anything special in the tv department and my audio set up is in a different part of the house from the tv. Before I put the oppo into service in the TV room I tried it out with my audio set up. Needless to say I am going to buy another for the tv room and keep this one with my stereo. This thing is remarkable. Its not just great for 169.00 its great at any price. Having recently audioned a number of high end CDPs I can say that in my mind and for my ears it would be hard to beat the oppo.

Josh

Josh -

The only way I know to program the OPPO is through the video setup. But once you've got it set you're good to go. I haven't needed to change anything since I put it in service. Actually the defaults were pre-set for two channel on mine. The only thing I have to do that's annoying is to push the "audio only" mode on the remote everytime I put a disc in. OPPO has confirmed that's the only way to set "audio only" mode.

Jeff

Josh -

If your unit is like mine, and I suspect it is, the unit will not go to "audio only" mode without the remote. Once in "audio only" mode you will see a very small "A-Only" on your OPPO display (once you push the button on the remote it will take approx. 5 seconds for "A-Only" to display on the unit). OPPO recommends that this mode is used for the best audio reproduction (it disables all video output from the unit while the disc is playing and apparently enhances audio performance). As I stated earlier, the annoyance is in needing to do it every time you load a disc. But it's not that big of a deal.

One other nice benefit of the remote is that it has a volume control for the player on it, which obviates the need for a remote on the pre-amp while using the player!

Jeff

I am with Byte Wrangler... hard to say if there is a difference with the audio only mode. I have tried it with both redbook and SACD and have to say it sounds great with the auio only mode on and off. I had my wife listen and compare the oppo against my modded es222 sony changer and my rega apollo cdp. She thought that the rega and the oppo were far superior to the sony and that the rega outperformed the oppo in the vocal range but the bass was more dynamic than the rega. When I told her the price difference she said that I should try and sell the rega! Dont think ill be doing that but I do think that the oppo is a wonderful addition and allows me to play SACD, DVD audio and redbook at a very high level. An amazing unit at an amazing price. I ordered 2 more. One for the family room and one for the bedroom tv systems.

Josh

Josh-

You really need to give the OPPO more time to "play in". Yours is still practically new. I'll bet after a month of solid play in, you'll notice less difference between your OPPO and the Rega. You might also try a better power cord. I put a cheap Radio-Shack power cord on mine and it made an improvement (mostly because the new power cord would stay tight in the OPPO power socket). The stock OPPO power cord is really cheap, but at least with the new DV-980H you can use a standard power cord!

Please report back!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I've been off the board for a couple months but was in the market for a new DVD and CD player when I got back, so ordered the DV-980H based on the recommendations here. I just got it hooked up this morning and was not disapointed.. Ran The Eagles Farewell Tour 1 through it just to verify operation and looks great. Haven't got it hooked up to audio yet, just moved and haven't even gotten the system put back together yet.

Has anyone figured out or heard what codes the remote uses? I've been looking at the Harmony universals and am curious if anyone has gotten another remote to work the Oppo without doing individual button matching.

Thanks to everyone for steering me in the right direction in my hour of need.

• 1 month later...

Just finished unpacking and hooking up my Oppo 980H to replace a failing cheap Sony 5 disc unit. Wow, I never thought I would be able to "hear" a difference in CD players. I am happy to be spanked on this one. Listening to "Ella and Louis" with a brig grin on my face. Thanks for all the reviews.

• 3 weeks later...