OPPOulence!!!!

Mallette

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kev:

Great to hear someone happy, and amazing to hear someone compare this thing to a 15k unit. So many who can afford such things seem to convince themselves that there is a direct $/Q law of some kind.

Colin:

OPPO and some of those in the thread suggest the 980 as the preferred audio source, but still with very fine video. In my case, video was primary and the list of video kudos for the 981HD was perhaps the longest I've ever seen for any media product. The audio performance was a big surprise. I rather doubt I could tell the difference between the 980 and 981HD, as I cannot tell the difference between the 981HD and my Card Deluxe or ESI DACs, both of which I find flawless reproduce my location recordings.

Of course, it could be that I am just tone deaf...

In either case, the evidence suggests you can't really go too wrong. As to build quality, Deming says "Quality is defined as fitness for intended use." If you are going to use the unit as a hocky puck, the Denon or Sony may be a better choice. Otherwise, the OPPO will hold up just fine. Sheesh, at these prices, split a case with someone and you still aren't out the price of a really good TT and cart...[H]

Dave

BTW, just don't feel like addressing the format issues.

Not sure what you mean. You brought it up.

BTW, I just simply use "less than" P "greater than" for a paragraph break.

oh I just meant that I had 4 or 5 posts almost in a row only because I was too lazy to solve the formatting / lack of para. break issues, that's all. Posts instead of paragraphs, in other words, not multiple posts for the sake having multiple posts (this post notwithstanding).

If you think the standard Oppos are the nutz, then how 'bout fully modded 980H and 981HD units? You can even get 'em cryogenically treated...that's insane (and so are the upgrade prices)![:o]

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Oppo_Units&Category_Code=MODS&Product_Count=39

I'm sure the mods don't make any difference. I mean, it's doubtful that you can improve on such a perfect performer!

oh come on...I'm not sure anybody would claim it is perfect. It is, however, really great for the price. Hell - it costs less than 7 days of parking for me.

Sheesh. There's one born every minute. I am all for these guys if they can breath on an OPPO and mark it up that much.

I am equally sure someone will hear a difference. Practice makes perfect.

In my case, I am hearing nothing from it at all except music.

Dave

I will be buying one of the OPPOs soon myself. I currently have 2 Sony 555ES SACD players, one that gets no use whatsoever, the other doesn't like older redbooks much anymore. Probably just needs a good cleaning. I also have a 7 year old Toshiba cheapo DVD player (not even progressive scan) with my HD TV. Looks like I can kill about 4 birds with one stone and create more shelf room for my TD124 for the unheard of price of only $169!

Anyone interested in an originally $1800(?) SACD player for $100 (including shipping)??

Anyone interested in an originally $1800(?) SACD player for $100 (including shipping)??

Which Sony are you selling, Gary? The one that gets no use, or the other that hates redbooks? Is it black or silver?

An e-mail was sent...

Which Sony are you selling, Gary? The one that gets no use, or the other that hates redbooks? Is it black or silver?

An e-mail was sent...

Jim,

Email sent.

It's the one that hates older Redbooks. New ones seem to work fine. Ask anyone who has heard my Cornwall system and they'll tell you how good it sounds. I don't know if $100 is a steal or a ripoff. I know I paid quite a bit more for it from another forum member and it has never done well with the older Redbooks. It's black and cosmetically perfect, as is the remote.

Let me know if you want more info or pics.

- Gary

Thanks, Dean. Excellent review. I rather doubt I'd hear the differences between the 980/81 as stark as he described...but then I listen more for what is right than wrong. Only when wrong gets to where it really sticks out do I look for a fix.

Also, I use DVI/HDMI to connect to my DVI only LCD at 1080i and have had no timing issues. Looks great.

Looks like the 993 will have the best of both. I'll wait and nab one. I need one more around the house anyway...

Life is GOOD in the future!

Dave

Well, they're all obviously great units and even if they were twice as much they'd still be a decent deal. I should have done more research before opening my big mouth -- that's what I get for putting too much stock into what's said on forums.:) It still appears that some of the more expensive decks get the edge using the analog outputs, but I guess it's not the jaw dropping difference I thought it was.