Survey #5: How often do you listen to live music?

Colin

My second job is at a (once) businessman's club in downtown Cincinnati (NO, THERE'S NO MORE RIOTING GOING ON!! Sorry, I still hate the local news media.) Anyway, it's the same place Peter Frampton had the reception for his second wedding. In fact, we have receptions just about every weekend. Thus, the live bands. We hardly ever get to see too many people remotely famous, well....that close up anyway. The most noted one was sax player Tom Scott and guitarist Russ Freeman playing for a female vocal named Patsy Meyer. Never the less, there is a live band almost every time. Rarely a 'real' sound check. Meaning some one is looking at an RTA or holding an SPL meter. And the accousics are dismal at best. Rectangular rooms with 110 year old oak floors with either wood beams and colums or plaster latheing with 18-20 foot ceilings. Yech!!

A few years ago we (girlfriend and I ) used to work at the Riverfront Colosium for different venues. The neatest was waching Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" tour and getting paid for it. Didn't get much work done that night.

BTW-Did anyone catch Blue Rodeo on PBS's Austin City Limits tonight. There was another discussion about what type of music or band one could assign to them. The best I could come up with is Pure Prairy League.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Monster Power HTS-5000

MIT Terminator 2 Bi-Wire Speaker cables

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Vibrapods

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

This message has been edited by tblasing on 01-13-2002 at 02:07 AM

I'll throw my thoughts in here. I have to agree with everyone who commented about Red Rocks Ampitheater in Denver (Morrison, CO actually.) I have seen several concerts there (I'm a Denver native) and have to think it is the best outdoor ampitheater around. Granted, I haven't been to many other outdoor ones, but the acoustics there are incredible. Nothing can quite compare I think. Besides, it's a great view of the Denver skyline at night.

Best concert I ever saw was Def Leppard Hysteria at Red Rocks. My friends and I had GA tickets, got there a bit late (11am) and thought we were going to be in the nose-bleed seats. But, after scouting around, we found the last row of GA was still open. Sat down, dead-center, on perfect ear-level with the speakers and proceeded to party. By the time the show was on (Europe opened, remember them??), we were a bit worn out, but the sound was perfect! Ah, to get back there to see the show! Second place was STYX Return to Paradise at Fiddler's Green, also in Denver. Was great to hear all the old stuff with Tommy Shaw back in the band. Now, Dennis is gone, oh well.

I try to get to 4-5 live shows a year, just depends on who is touring. Here is a list of what I have seen:

1st show: The Cars, Wang Chung opened (I was 14 and had a ball)

Best show: See above

Others

Huey Lewis 3 times

AC/DC 3 times

Def Leppard 7 times

Kiss 2 times

Foreigner once

Journey twice

STYX 6 times

REO Speedwagon once

Scorpions 4 times

Queensryche (Type-O Negative opened)

Aerosmith once (opening show of "Just Push Play" in CT)

Bon Jovi once (last show of One Wild Night in NJ)

Refreshments twice, great small club band!!!

Collective Soul once, another great small club band

Ted Nugent twice

Damn Yankees 3 times

Eagles once (Hell Freezes Over)

Steve Winwood once

Trans Sibierian Orchestra once

Others may escape the mind, but nothing like a live show to really hear the music!

hawk,

Good to see another Tommy Shaw and Styx fan. I too have seen them on a number of occasions (mostly 1978 - 1982) and they bring back some great memories. I was an early admirer of the band (loved the Equinox album) but wasn't a full-fledged fan until Tommy joined in '76 and wrote Crystal Ball. I think he is a very under-appreciated singer, songwriter and axe-man. Dennis may have been the front-man but Tommy was the guy that put that band over the top. I have been debating whether to get the new 5.1 DVD (same tour you mentioned I think) but Dennis wasn't in the show. Just wondering how they sound without him...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

• 2 weeks later...

Live Music: See less and less every year. Shows i've seen include: Dave Matthews Band, Live, Local H, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Third Eye Blind, Bush, No Doubt, Green Day, Pantera, Beastie Boys, Weezer, Rage Against the Machine, Outkast, Stone Temple Pilots, Sponge, Counting Crows, Wallflowers, Silverchair, Beck and Tenacious D.

Most Common Venue:

The Rave: Milwaukee, WI (spring/winter)

Small Indoor smoky place, holds 1500?. Up close and personal with the smaller bands here. small club sound.

Alpine Valley: East Troy, WI (summer/fall)

Huge 40,000+ capacity, outdoor venue, covered/lawn. Not very open, crappy sound, very fun, bands seem to love the atmosphere. The lawn is nice, great music, a blanket of stars above, grass, but awful in the rain.

Latest show I've been to is WEEZER (=w=) in Madison, WI at the Alliant Energy Center. Oval arena, GA, seats, open floor, fun. The concert was outstanding, the energy from the crowd last December was near overwhelming. Aren't drunk college students fun?

------------------

Mike G

Jeez.

First concert, I think... Emerson Lake and Palmer at the Rensselaer Field House in, uh, 1973...

Since then, I've been to a lot of concerts. Let's group them by number of occurences:

Too many to count:

The Grateful Dead

More than 5:

ELP

Pink Floyd

Neil Young

The Moody Blues

Bob Seeger

*NSYNC (uh, yeah, well, ask the daugher...)

Dave Mathews Band

Joan Baez

More than once

Peter Gabriel

Robert Palmer

KISS

Janet Jackson

The Eurythmics

Fleetwood Mac

the Stones

the Bee Gees (stop laughing! They ROCK! :P )

Yes

Huey Lewis

Brian Wilson

Blue Oyster Cult

Once was enough

Judas Priest

Poisen

Ozzie

Alice Cooper (demanded my money back and GOT it!)

Luciano Pavarotti

The LSO

Michael Boulton

Pink

The Spice Girls (ask the daughter again...)

The Backstreet Boys

Living Color

All time worst concert event: Hearing Judas Priest open for KISS sometime in the mid 70's, when I'd never heard of them, they're playing this, uh, "song", sounds really, really awful, suddenly I recognise the melody, can't quite place it, have trouble making out the lyrics, then I catch "...hotel over washington square...we both could have died then and there..."

and I think to myself "Self," I think "...Sholly Hit, that's DIAMONDS AND RUST, by JOAN BAEZ, oh my GOD, let me OUT of here..."

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Ok I haven't had the time to read all of the post here but as soon as I read the original post only one thing came to my mine...

Only the best damn holiday of the year!!!!

SUMMERFEST in Milwaukee WI

only the largest outdoor music festival on the planet! Unreal, some of the bands I have seen there are as follows:

Blink 182

Def Leppard

Styx

Bon Jovi

Kenny Chesney

Tim McGraw

Santana

Destiny's Child

REO Speedwagon

Journey

The BoDeans

Britney Spears

Christina Aguliera

Third Eye Blind

The Beach Boys

Hooty and the Blowfish

And my favorite band of all time "The LoveMonkeys"

These are only to name a few. Take it from me if you have the chance this summer between June 27 and July 7 come check it out. It is unreal. A stage for every type of music, and it's on Milwaukee's Lakefront.

http://www.summerfest.com best damn holiday of the year

I have been fortunate to see alot of live music when it was reasonably priced.

Pine Knob Michigan from 1976 to present

Stills Young Band

Crosby and Nash

James Taylor

Linda Rondstat( not too good)

America (bad)

Doobie Brothers

Genesis

Clapton

Yes

BB King

Marshall Tucker

Neil Young( lost track of how many times)

Kinks(Dave Davies is an underrated guitar player)

Sarah McLachan

Bonnie Raitt

Sting(so so)

J. Geils Band(very hot)

Ted Nugent

Allman Brothers

Natalie Merchant(she should be around for a long time)

other venues

Santana

Luther Allison at Ricks(Lizards) in East Lansing Michigan(small clubs are cool)

Tuck and Patty(jazz)

Elvis Costello

Eagles

Peter Gabriel(impressive)

Jimmy Buffet

David Bowie(very proffessional)

Who(awesome)

Stones(fair to good)

Jethro Tull

Joe Walsh

Dave Mason

Heat wave festival in Toronto 1981

Gram Parker

Rockpile-Nick Lowe and Dave Edmonds

Pretenders

B52s

Talking Heads

Elvis Costello

Did sound for bands in college and high school as well.

Make an efffort to hear a Martin guitar played without amplification in a near field experience sometime in your life.

ALSO...

1950s Les Paul

Gretsch Country Gentleman

1960s Fender Stratocaster

Gibson ES 335

Any of these guitars played through a (pre CBS)Fender tube amp or a Music Man (Eric Clapton used to use) tube amp is a fascinating experience.

I never knew anyone that could afford Marshall or Hi Watt amps for their guitar; they must sound very nice as well.

Big organs from an old movie theater or church are a pretty accessible live music source.

HOLY COW! You have seen a ton! I personally have only seen a few Frown.gif So few I fear to post the list here! LoL! Some where`s around 5.... ohwell, only 17, only 17, i keep telling myself that hehehe Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

Shucks...

So busy I almost forgot I am going to see Crosby, Still, Nash, and Young next week 2-6 at the Palace in Auburn Hills, Michigan.

I have always been impressed(for the past 26 years, darn I am getting old) with Neil Young's sound systems.

I'll let everyone know if it was worth it.

Boa12 you been to "THE BIG GIG?"

what a good time huh? Yes that beer is fresh too! Although it is hard to tell after so many. Last year I was in attendance all 11 days, and I was out quit a bit of money. Beer and Food prices is obviously were they make their income to get these great bands. At $4 a beer it adds up. I can't wait already!!!!!!

well Ray, like your taste in music and stereos,

although the Diana krall performance in a rectangular music hall with volour walls and wood trim was flawless, I would have to say that best was the small club venue with Joan Armatrading at my feet and she was so clearly happy about suddenly becoming a national hit,

worse was a Grace Jones performance at a club in Boston, where she was hours late, they told us nothing, overcrowded, couldn't lift an arm to drink, she lipped sung only a few songs to a record and when we went to complain, the guards threw my girlfriend down the stairs and hurt her foot, the cops did nothing, but her limo driver gave us a ride to our car ...