Art Cleanbox as preamp?

Coytee

Long ago, in fact, I think it was with my Khorns, I somehow crosswired something (who MOIE???) and ended up having my CD player plumbed directly into my amp.

I couldn't control the volume, but it was at a comfortable loud and not LOUD loud.

Anyway, one thing I remember was just how different it sounded. It sounded quite nice.

Been wondering if I could simply plumb my CD player or perhaps my DVD player into my Cleanbox and see what happens? Then I realized it would be a pain in the neck to swap CD for DVD or then swap over to TV...

So, I then got the bright idea... I have a dbx 400 route selector... would it work to plug my CD, DVD, TV into the dbx route selector, take the output of the dbx to the input of the Cleanbox and then see what happens...?

I know one easy answer is to just do it. I probably would except I'm busy doing other things for upcoming company so I figured I'd just ask here & see what kind of answers I get.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I think a piece of cheese would taste real good about now. I wonder what's in the pantry? Hmmmm.... [^o)]

What the heck is a 400XG? Google seems to have the answer - signal path shows up at bottom of post. Yea, I think it would work, but it'd require some non-intuitive wiring schemes? Can't seem to find a manual anywhere. There doesn't seem to be any cheese in the pantry *sigh*. Looks like a bunch of switches for only routing audio? This Rosemary extra virgin olive oil stuff was pretty good.

Why you always gotta be complicating things Richard? lol. Is this the same device you have?
http://www.directlinkentertainment.com/eSales/Items/00314%20dbx%20400XG%20Program%20Route%20Selector.htm

The dog could probably clean that up.

They make really simple/intuitive switchers at Radio Shack for like $30, I think you can even get a remote-controlled one too. Bummer they don't make a remote controlled "Cleanbox" type device, or a multichannel volume control thing. I wonder how Shawn's progress is doing.

Why don't you just hook it up and find out? [;)] lol

post-10350-13819354557884_thumb.jpg

I think a piece of cheese would taste real good about now. I wonder what's in the pantry? Hmmmm.... Hmm

This Rosemary extra virgin olive oil stuff was pretty good

The dog could probably clean that up.

Why don't you just hook it up and find out? Wink lol

Between Roy and MAS, I'm not sure who's having the worst influence on you lol [:#]

You found the exact dbx unit I have. (The wife says I complicate things too...)

Let me reword my question...

Would plugging my DVD player (alone) into my Artbox, allow the Artbox to bump its signal and in essence, act as a poor mans preamp?

Would the voltage be SOOOOOOOOo low out of my (cd/dvd/tv) that even bumpting it up with the Cleanbox won't help?

bumpting? so much for being a fast typist. Well, I've got fast nailed, it's the accuracy that sucks.

I've already GOT the dbx unit so if I could use that as an input selector, I'm already intuitive with it and wouldn't need anythign more intuitive from Radio Shack.

[:D]

Isn't that what Dean does?

You mean that pink pillowed commie, stole my idea?

[:o]

I'll have to give it a whirl after the wife leaves.... she's in "let's go clean every microscopic inch of the house prior to family arriving so that when they arrive we'll be very tired AND cranky with each other [8o|] because even when she tells me to go clean out the refridgerater and then finds me DOING it... I'm STILL managing to somehow do it wrong, she just wanted the inside wiped down, NOT emptied and wiped down"... mode

(how else do you clean the insides of a Fridge, unless you remove things? [:^)] )

Just wait Grasseater... you laugh at us old geezers (now I sound like Buckster [:'(]) but you'll find out soon enough.

she's in "let's go clean every microscopic inch of the house prior to family arriving so that when they arrive we'll be very tired AND cranky with each other Super Angry because even when she tells me to go clean out the refridgerater and then finds me DOING it... I'm STILL managing to somehow do it wrong, she just wanted the inside wiped down, NOT emptied and wiped down"... mode

(how else do you clean the insides of a Fridge, unless you remove things? Huh? )

This will probably get me in trouble but......they're all crazy it's just a matter of what degree.

Merry Christmas, Richard.

Thought I might update.

I plugged my dbx 400's output into the input of cleanbox. I then moved my cd player, dvd player and DTV output to the tape 1,2,3 inputs of the 400.

I've totally removed my preamp and it works like a charm. FULL volume is indeed there!! Them lights on my Dx38 were just blinking away! I put Rush/Rio on and went to the...drats... forgot the name, the drum solo and put the Dx38 lights onto FULL blink and lemme tell ya... there is plenty of voltage there!!

So, now my preamp is sitting next to my 2102, both idle... hmm....

Never would I have thought I'd be jamming away with no preamp in my system. The nice thing is, I still have input control with the dbx 400!!

This is indeed 2nd notch!!

Thought I might update.

I plugged my dbx 400's output into the input of cleanbox. I then moved my cd player, dvd player and DTV output to the tape 1,2,3 inputs of the 400.

I've totally removed my preamp and it works like a charm. FULL volume is indeed there!! Them lights on my Dx38 were just blinking away! I put Rush/Rio on and went to the...drats... forgot the name, the drum solo and put the Dx38 lights onto FULL blink and lemme tell ya... there is plenty of voltage there!!

So, now my preamp is sitting next to my 2102, both idle... hmm....

Never would I have thought I'd be jamming away with no preamp in my system. The nice thing is, I still have input control with the dbx 400!!

This is indeed 2nd notch!!

You still have a preamp, and it's called an ART Cleanbox. It has line outs, it has gain controls...

Might be confusing this with something else.

Nope, it's the ART Cleanbox with the rolled off response starting at 30Hz. The Jubs don't do much below 40Hz so I imagine that it wouldn't be very noticeable. Heck, it shouldn't be very noticeable with the MWM either.

Y'all just don't know what you're missing with that bottom octave. Bill knows though [;)]

JC, Doc is right.

Right now I've only had about 30 minutes of true IN the room listening but they were playing in background otherwise... no wait, I take that back a bit... I had them on while tv was playing (tv over Jubilees with tv speakers turned off)

I don't notice anything but I WAS wondering if the modification would change it

"Nope, it's the ART Cleanbox with the rolled off response starting at 30Hz."

So yes...the ART Cleanbox .....OK. Isn't this what I asked...or is there some other product with a similar name?

What was the "NOPE" about?

jc

Here is a graph of the stock .047 uF caps on the input of the Cleanbox, and replaced with 1.0 uF caps. I pulled this off the Home Theater forum. You could roll off somewhere between by using a couple of .47 uF caps.

post-7149-13819354641804_thumb.png

You still have a preamp, and it's called an ART Cleanbox. It has line outs, it has gain controls...

Guess I didn't look at it in that light.

I must say though... $50 verses what, something like $1,300 for a Peach? I guess I should add in the cost of the dbx 400 since that allows me some program selections. I think it was $100?

I've got to say, if I was going to try to put together the most bare bone bang for the buck system (with program selection), I'm beginning to think it's the dbx 200/400, Rolls or Art Cleanbox, Xti amps & Jubilees.

For raw dollars on performance, that has got to be a pretty strong starting point AND it happens to sound pretty freaking good too!

I'm glad I'm more of a beer & pizza listener as contrasted to those who are seemingly chained to a chair, focused on hearing the 'nnnnnnng' as a cymbol finally loses its energy shimmering into the room and they listen for the 'air' between each 'n n n n n g'

Listening with that intent AND commensurate dollars just sounds like more work lol. I'd rather sit back and just enjoy what I'm hearing.

I guess I'm perhaps an audiopunk? verses phile?

ya... I can dig that, audiopunk!

[Y]