I know we have a lot of Jazz, Classical, or Rock fans here, but, is anyone here into...

dkalsi

.... Loreena Mckennitt - which I assume falls under Celtic music? (yes i know no point starting a thread about it, but I was curious)

- when I audtion speakers before I buy, I often take one of her CDs -

Although Klipsch speakers play all music well, I love how you can clearly tell all the acoustic instuments being played on her cds.

for those who don't know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoUthLnZ0oo (for those who are not into her voice(which i happen to love) skip to 2min25secd)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIpX0ZqmBak <--this is pretty much all instrumental

Listening to Live in Paris and Toronto right now.... I've also got An Ancient Muse and The Book of Secrets, as well as a few single tracks inclluded in various Celtic compliation albums.

I recommend disk 2 from Live in Paris and Toronto... specifically tracks three through eight... The dichotomy (sp?) of Harp and accoustic guitar being followed by grand piano with electric guitar accompaniement somehow appeals to me! [:D]

If anybody is (still) interested, a number of her songs are Romantic poems of a tragic style set to music... The Bonny Swans, The Highwayman, Bonny Portmore...

There always seems to be a particular artist and/or album that just seems to be made for your system (or visa versa). While I would not list her amongst my favorites, I enjoy Loreena M and find the mix of instruments/vocals/rythoms captivating and almost eerie on certain tracks. A few months ago I bought my first tube amp and powered up my Cornwalls that had been in storage for several years. While I probably hadn't listened to her discs for years, for some reason the first dics I played was Loreena M and could not believe what I was hearing. What an amazing match with the Cornwalls and Jolida tube amp. Everything sounds good but she sounds incredible. I play several of her tracks for demo of my system when guests are over.

synthfreek,

I had not heard of dead can dance until you posted - I especially like the second link you posted. I will get in touch with you to get some recommendations.

There following CD seemed to have excellent reviews: "Within the Realm of a Dying Sun"

Thanks for posting

D

Have you guys ever heard Dead Can Dance? THIS track is awesome and so is THIS one. Well-recorded with real live instruments...very dynamic stuff and you may dig it if you like Loreena, Enya, etc. and wanna dig a little deeper.

That is what I was going to say :) Actually most releases on the 4AD label are reocorded with the same quality. However, I hate the tracks when the guy sings as his voice makes me want to go insane. Have you heard the solo works of Lisa Gerrard http://www.lisagerrard.com/ ? I haven't.

If you're new to Dead Can Dance, IMO concentrate on the early releases. These include "Dead Can Dance" ('84), "Spleen and Ideal" ('86), "Within the Realm..." ('87), "The Serpent's Egg" ('88), and "Aion" ('89), the last two being my favorites. Related groups would be This Mortal Coil and Cocteau Twins (love this group). I made the mistake of selling my DCD discs at one point and I won't do that again. My advice: don't sell DCD! I had to repurchase. :-) A quick search describes the group as "ethereal, evocative/eclectic, experimental, Gothic, with some traditional and world music elements".

If you're new to Dead Can Dance, IMO concentrate on the early releases. These include "Dead Can Dance" ('84), "Spleen and Ideal" ('86), "Within the Realm..." ('87), "The Serpent's Egg" ('88), and "Aion" ('89), the last two being my favorites. Related groups would be This Mortal Coil and Cocteau Twins (love this group). I made the mistake of selling my DCD discs at one point and I won't do that again. My advice: don't sell DCD! I had to repurchase. :-) A quick search describes the group as "ethereal, evocative/eclectic, experimental, Gothic, with some traditional and world music elements".

Aion and Serpents Egg are my favorites as well. The first release by them is my least favorite. I'll have to go back and listen to Spleen and Ideal as I don't remember much about it all but have it somewhere.

A lot of subtle nuances to be found in this Renaissance music:http://www.blackmoresnight.com/

Had been wondering what Richie had been up to, when along came a PBS special, awhile back, raising funds around this music.

Doesn't hurt that a hard core Deep Purple fan might find this interesting! Same could be said about Richie finding Candice Night a super-hottie![6]

Old castle with a very little electric Blackmore thrown in the mix.

parch_page_sliced_02.jpg