5.1 vs. 6.1 vs. 7.1

InVeNtOr

alrigth, i have a 6.1 system now. (cheap but works). my question is when i go to buy my seperates (Outlaw Audio) which speaker set up should i get? most movies are 5.1 and only a handful are 6.1. how does the audio work on a 6.1/7.1 set up when the movie is encoded for 5.1? is it a true sound or does the processor some how put the right sound effect to that speaker(s) when the time is right?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5.1 should be the way to go, but i will probably keep the 6.1 just because i have the speakers...in fact i have enough for 7.1 i just don't have the processor for it. i plan on up grading my speakers some time in the future to rf-7 line (all i use them for is movies and everyone says they love theirs for that reason).

i haven't heard of 8.1

Not surprising... like most things jb posts about - it is nothing more than a figment of his imagination. Hence my "facilitative" comment.

Room size is one factor, but where you sit is another. If you sit fairly close to the back wall, say within 3 feet or less, 5.1 would be the better choice because you won't be able to position all 4 surround speakers effectively. If you're at least 5 or 6 feet from the back wall, then there would be room to have the surrounds placed to the sides and a little behind you, with the rear surrounds actually behind you, so 7.1 would be better in that case.

Most available surround music and video sources at this time are encoded in 5.1. For 7.1, the two rear surround channels are matrixed from the side surround channels by your pre-amp/receiver.

i haven't heard of 8.1

Not surprising... like most things jb posts about - it is nothing more than a figment of his imagination. Hence my "facilitative" comment.

We're not all professors here and this is not a research institute, it's a bunch of hobbyists sharing knowledge and fun. I certainly don't mind the odd interjection and non sequitur, I often enjoy them. Some of them are definitely odd, but so what? There's a joker or two in every pack, but that doesn't mean they need to be dealt with.

well the house i want to be built is going to have it's own ht room. by the drawings i did in inventor and autocad, i should have at least 4'. i might even move the sitting position up a little if i have to. i don't think i will above 6.1 but 7.1 is a possibility only if i can get the rigth speakers and of course, money. i would love to get some rf-7's but they are hard to find, especally the surrounds. i am starting to think about saving up the money to go with the 83 line up.

well alright, since we are diving into this 5.1 vs stuff, i have a opinion question. i want a 15x13x9 room built for my ht (custom home). in the post previous to this i stated i wanted the rf-83 line up or rf-7. my concern is i will have too small of a room for speakers like that. if thats the case i would stick with the speakers in my sig. i know for a fact they won't blow me out of that 15x13 room. so here is a choice....do i have a 15x13x9 room built or have a 15x20x9 room built and have the possibility of getting bigger badder speakers? the one advantage is the larger room i know where to put my et center stuff....i will build it into the rh wall. here is a pic of the 15x13 room just in case anyone one needs a visual.

i want a 15x13x9 room built for my ht (custom home). in the post previous to this i stated i wanted the rf-83 line up or rf-7. my concern is i will have too small of a room for speakers like that. if thats the case i would stick with the speakers in my sig. i know for a fact they won't blow me out of that 15x13 room. so here is a choice....do i have a 15x13x9 room built or have a 15x20x9 room built and have the possibility of getting bigger badder speakers?

If you're getting a custom home built, having a larger room made would likely not be much more expensive, but would increase the value of the home noticeably, as well as possibly improving the sound in the room. As for dimensions, there are some members here who could help you calculate some optimum proportions that would minimize standing waves and other issues.

Another thing to consider: if you're spending the money for a custom home with a dedicated music/HT room, what's a few dollars extra for some serious speakers? Don't do half a job. I'm thinking Heritage, or Jubilee/Heritage combo...

I have a roughly 15x14or15 room with a vaulted ceiling, with a small entryway on one end and half the opposite side opening to the dining area. It works fine with four forte II's and an academy. Sure, if i want i can remove all life forms out of the space but at the same time at proper levels it's not overkill. I hope you can glean something useful from that. Another example is eq shadimars all cornwall set up in a similarly sized space. Where would you sacrifice the extra 7 feet from?

basicly i have 25' x 15' at my disposial. the room is built with those dimentions. to make the smaller room i will have a wall added at the 13' foot mark and of course the 20' room the door will be back aways. i was thinking of dividing the room in almost half and have a ht room and game room. now i am starting to rethink that. i just might draw it out in inventor to give me a good 3d look.

when the room is first built i will keep my current speakers and go to outlaw and get the rest. i think everything will be okay for a while untill i can save up the rest for the newer speakers.

i am rethinking the whole game room idea because i was only going to use it for a computer desk. then i was thinking today and i figured i can put the computer in the ht room and that way i can game in 7.1 sound, i will just have to buy a good surround card (of course some more cables). i can still build a newer computer and put it downstairs for the wife when she wants to do her stuff.