New cart came today!

lwhaples

I have a Denon DL103 that I've been thinking about replacing. I know Mike Lindsy is happy with the DL103R,so that is what I had in mind.

I ended up getting another DL103 that has been modded by Zu Audio,sure looks nice. I'll wait to install when I have plenty of time. Can't wait!

Larry

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Larry,

Yes, I am very happy with the 103R, but I also have a 103 laying around (albeit with about 400 hours on it) and have been considering getting it modded. Can you explain what Zu Audio does? Can they start with a used 103? I would also be interested in your thoughts once you have had a chance to hear it.

Thanks,

Mike

I just installed a 103r today, and it walks all over the Dynavectoe 10x5 I was using. Much more detailed.That's with a Rega arm which isn't supposed to be the best match.

On the other hand the Dynavector is supposed to be a match made in heaven for the 300 arm and cost over $100 more.

I have a Uwe ebony body coming which is supposed to be a great mod for this $250 cart.

Larry

I have been reading about the zu audio 103 and will be very interested in hearing your impressions. I am unclear as to what exactly they do to the cartidge. The reviews that I have read have all been very positive.

Josh

Will do! Just picked up a setup manual for my LP12,so I can understand better and check things out.The cart being nude,with no guard scares me some.

Larry

I just installed a 103r today, and it walks all over the Dynavectoe 10x5 I was using. Much more detailed.That's with a Rega arm which isn't supposed to be the best match.

On the other hand the Dynavector is supposed to be a match made in heaven for the 300 arm and cost over $100 more.

I have a Uwe ebony body coming which is supposed to be a great mod for this $250 cart.

Wow! I have got a Sota Satellite TT with a Rega 300 arm and a Dynavector 10X5 with 30 hours and I am not happy with the Dyna so far. I have been thinking about going LO MC. Every thing I have heard and read is that the 103 does not mate well with the Rega arm (just as you said). What differances have you noted between the DV and the 103r?

dont know where you read that a denon doesnt mate well with a rega but i used one with a rega rb 300, for a good stint and i had no complaints at all, infact i felt it beat out a grado sonata referance ( and the grado is a great cartridge) but the lomc denon just picked up more detail and had a richer sound altogeather, i have a denon setting around as a back up to my lyra beta, i too would be very interested in what larry has to say about the zu version 400 beans for a new cart that art dudley says beat every other cart he has except a 5000.00 myabi is alot of praise, one thing that gives me pause is the weight of the cart after they are done modding it (11 grams if memory serves) need some good counter weight for that

Joe

I have a Techno weight on my arm. Don't know if that helps or not but it is so much better top to bottom than the 10x5.

In all fairness to the Dynavector, I'm using a K and K Step Up transformer with my Scott phono pre so there is another variable added to this new setup. The difference is amazing. I can't wait to get the new ebony body which is supposed to improve this great cartridge even more.

The 103R was bought on Ebay from a seller from Japan on Friday the 21st and I received it 12/27/07. That's 6 days to my door with a weekend and Christmas in the mix. Not bad [:o]

I just installed a 103r today, and it walks all over the Dynavectoe 10x5 I was using.  Much more detailed.That's with a Rega arm which isn't supposed to be the best match. 

Wow! I have got a Sota Satellite TT with a Rega 300 arm and a Dynavector 10X5 with 30 hours and I am not happy with the Dyna so far.  I have been thinking about going LO MC. Every thing I have heard and read is that the 103  does not mate well with the Rega arm (just as you said).  What differances have you noted between the DV and the 103r?

... I am very happy with the 103R, but I also have a 103 laying around ...

Mike, How would you describe the difference between 103 and 103r?

Kudret

I would describe it as night and day. As good as the 103 is the 103R is that much better. As least on my rig. Much better detail and clarity, and a much larger soundstage. In addition it seems to be a much quieter cartridge. For the extra $100 it is well worth it! I would love to hear what Larry has to say about the modded 103.

Mike

I was able to mount it yesterday after work.Didn't care for the way my hands shook while fine tunning.Must be a sign of age.I set it up with my Sure gauge to 2.5grams,man this thing is heavy.I bought it off Ebay from a guy that said he waited 4 months for it to ship,only to sell because he needed to make his house payment.I gave $350. plus shipping and got it in two days ,still new and unopened.I like the fact that the screws go in from the top with no tiny nuts to try and start.

The first LP was Pearl Jam,only cause I played it last.Sounded very clear,the bass is what I noticed first and at a lower volume.All the songs seemed to jump at you,I'm thinking Nea! I 'm just excited about a new cart.Three or four Lp's later,supper has come and gone and I'm still spining vinly the wife didn't even try to get me to eat like she knew better.No matter what I put on,it gave you a weird feeling.Like the music was trying to pass through. Ginger Baker was the kicker,alot of different sounds jumping at you.Yes, I'm happy with it.Is it worth the selling price? To me it is! Is it better than the DL103R? Can't say. I will say I stayed up way past my bedtime because of it,and went to bed Happy. Maybe some Pink Flyod latter..

Larry

One should never drink wine and go on this forum. Needless to say I bought one of the zu audio 103s last night. I have a 103r that I have yet to mount and am currently using the Shelter 901. Once I get the zu audio Ill do some comparisons.

Josh

That's funny.

It's still at the funny stage. I am not hiding hi fi equipment under my pillow yet!

josh

Josh,

I will also be interested in your opinion of the 103R since I think so highly of mine. I only have a standard 103 to base my comparison on, but I am very impressed with this cartridge.

I will also be curious to hear your thoughts on the modded 103 since that might be my next upgrade.

Mike