RIAA sues man for ripping his own CD's!

Daddy Dee

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read through most of RIAA website and the propoganda is so obnoxious. What's crazier is that they say it's ok to rip CD's to your own computer, which is totally opposite of what they're pressing charges for.

The RIAA needs to go away...

BIG RECORD COMPANIES ................... BIG GREED : What I've said all along ! My position has never changed, again Big Business milkin' the little Home Listener ............ STILL, and they wonder why Music Sales are Dying....................DUH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JACKSONBART, Please don't turn me in ............................ EH !!!!!!!!!!

That’s great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane -

Lenny Bruce is not afraid. Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn -

world serves its own needs, don’t misserve your own needs. Feed it up a knock,

speed, grunt no, strength no. Ladder structure clatter with fear of height,

down height. Wire in a fire, represent the seven games in a government for

hire and a combat site. Left her, wasn’t coming in a hurry with the furies

breathing down your neck. Team by team reporters baffled, trump, tethered

crop. Look at that low plane! Fine then. Uh oh, overflow, population,

common group, but it’ll do. Save yourself, serve yourself. World serves it's

own needs, listen to your heart bleed. Tell me with the rapture and the

reverent in the right - right. You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright

light, feeling pretty psyched.

It’s the end of the world as we know it.

It’s the end of the world as we know it.

It’s the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

The story actually came out Dec 12.... The guy ripped to his computer and it was a shared file that was down loaded to other people. or had access to other members....So actually he screwed the pooch ,,, and got nailed. Guilty as charged !!!! If you wanna play, and share your toys, you gotta pay.

I just got back from Europe and it is funny how they handle that one over there.

While they are still crying like babies about people stealing music, they do not comment on the millions they are getting from the special taxe on blank CD and DVD sold every day.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, let me explain.

The authorities decided it would be to hard, expensive and time consuming to fight illegal downloads so they decided to add a special tax on all the recording devices as well as blank CD's and DVD's. The taxe was created to compensate the money lost due to illegal recording.

Wondering how long is it going to take for that to happen here.

the only reason the RIAA has succeeded as well as they have is because the courts have over the years kept a heavy (and then heavier) thumb on the scales in favor of corporate interests, and specifically against human individual interests.

If you look at the legal techniques being used, you can see the giant Court Thumb at work. It is anti-democratic to the point of simply being Fascist. Although "court talk" can be pretty boring stuff, this site makes it pretty interesting reading, and very understandable for the non-legal mind.

Fascinating rant.

And a wonderful misrepresentation of the role of the courts in society.

Just for curiousities sake, you might want to look into the text of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act which dictates the current usage limits as defined by Congess. The Courts are simply enforcing the law.

If you don't like it, and there are plenty of things about it not to like, work to change the law.

And the "non-legal mind" would do well to cool it with the wacko conspiratorial rants against the courts, where here, in one of their few moments, the courts are not legislating from the bench but simply enforcing the law as it stands.

1. The above court procedures have nothing to do with the Digital Milenium Copyright Act.

More fascinating illogic...

Without the Act, there would be no standing on which to inititate a suit.

And the courts do not initiate a suit or 'go after' anyone. The court is simply the framework in which lawyers pursue restitition under the law.

And, short of reforming the law passed by Congress which provides standing for the lawsuits, it sounds like the opposition needs better lawyers better able to make such 'simple' points!

And a guy copying CDs to his computer and redistributing them to others is FAR different than someone simply copying them for his own personal use. Duh!

I guess the real problem is that the court has windows!

ROFLMAO!

It is so easy to push your buttons! I just find your erudite posts where few can figure out exactly what your point is immensly amusing. You are like someone who after ranting for 30 minutes suddenly can't remember what their inititial point was. And to talk about stalking, you might want to quit following Doc about.

And I am sorry to see that you fail to grasp the context in which the court system functions in society. And how it is the laws that have resulted in this conundrum and not simply the action of "the court" as you erroneously present the issue.

And I love how your responses deal only with me and fail to cogently address the issue I raised. But then, you are the one who cannot tolerate anyone so much as suggesting that a SS amp can sound acceptable operated withing its linear range. And you are the one who cannot grasp the concept that a tuned listening room can indeed incorporate utility and function without the need for it to become a museum...and that they can indeed actually have windows! Or the fact that many improvements can be made based upon simple predictive analysis, beyond which you reach a point where measurements are required to more surgically make a significant return on the investment without simply creating new problems. One would think this a very simple and fundamental common-sense concept... But I am sorry that a sense of balance is lacking in your moralistic world view characterized by extremes.

And I don't care what you think of me...just as I don't know anything about your personal life. What is tiresome is to listen to the moralistic diatribes of someone who claims to know it all by virtue of the attempts to analyze acoustical concepts of which they know little and to actively reject the introduction of more recent developments in acoustics which just might add a bit more insight into one's little world where windows are anathema. What would be nice is a simple focus on fundamental ideas regarding acoustics. And the ludicrous 'its all subjective' debate where no one can really know anything except subjectively renders all of the virtual ink wasted to say it just that - a waste.

With regards to the RIAA and the DMCA, simply providing for defined 'fair use' would eliminate the vast majority of issues. But the distribution of others material without compensation for said material is and should remain illegal.

Of course one would assume that you would have no problem with anyone copying your designs and manufacturing them for sale without compensation...right???????????????

There is always a balance that can be achieved. ...Or at least so I once thought until I read your posts.

With regards to the RIAA and the DMCA, simply providing for defined 'fair use' would eliminate the vast majority of issues. But the distribution of others material without compensation for said material is and should remain illegal.

I agree, but it's a shame that "fair use" needs to be spelled out entirely...

You know, the Grateful Dead had an open policy of allowing (encouraging?) bootlegs, and lo' and behold, they never starved. Allowing friends to make tapes (cd's, etc) for each other is as much free advertising and exposure cancelling out so-called lost revenue. Maybe if the music press went on a lockout, forcing the industry to pay for every possible bit of exposure and advertising, a little sanity could prevail. Just imagine, which unfortunately is about as effective as lennon's song by the same name.

• Moderators
I just got back from Europe and it is funny how they handle that one over there. While they are still crying like babies about people stealing music, they do not comment on the millions they are getting from the special taxe on blank CD and DVD sold every day. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, let me explain. The authorities decided it would be to hard, expensive and time consuming to fight illegal downloads so they decided to add a special tax on all the recording devices as well as blank CD's and DVD's. The taxe was created to compensate the money lost due to illegal recording. Wondering how long is it going to take for that to happen here.

Actually, we have been doing that here since 1992 when the Audio Home Recording Act was implimented.

• Moderators

I wonder how they even knew he had ripped CD's for his own computer. He is not accused of uploading or distributing copied CD's. He's in trouble for ripping copies for personal use. Strange. Welcome to 1984.

If that is the case, simply digital copy from a cd he purchased, the suit will go nowhere. This is fair use, which is defined by case law, but it is also specifically exempted from an infirngement action under the Audio Home Recording Act.

There has to be more to the story then making a copy from a CD you own to a computer you own.

Travis

• Moderators

I just read through most of RIAA website and the propoganda is so obnoxious. What's crazier is that they say it's ok to rip CD's to your own computer, which is totally opposite of what they're pressing charges for.

The RIAA needs to go away...

Doc,

This issue came up before, ASCAP and RIAA always try to claim way more then they are entitlted to. They have threatened clients based on intrepretations that were way off base. They have backed down every time I have dealt with them.

Travis