HD DVD - Time to jump in - Toshiba A3 $130 (includes 7 free HD DVD movies)

dougdrake

heheh...

With what little bit I have invested at this point - I wouldn't really care if HDDVD died tomorrow... I'm glad I got the titles I did... and over time BR will come down in price to something more reasonable, and then I will buy that too. It's all good :)

This is hilarious. {Edit: This is in reference to the entire 'larger' BR/HDDVD and 'BR wins' debate...Not in response to any individual post!)

Yup, itsall over .

Warner Bros which only controls 20% of the movie market decides to forgoe duplicating its costs for the same releases and its all over.

And a 20% market share increase of the market - NOT SALES mind you, but simply releases means BluRay wins - yup, with their version 1 players, and version 1.3 players that are not upgradeable, and their own version 2 players not slated for October 2008. But remember, per Sony, It was HDDVD's fault for releasing their players earlier than BR did!

ROFLMAO.

Look, MS hasn't given up on it, and HP and Toshiba are outfitting their computers with HD-DVD.

It ain't going away anytime soon.

And with Sony losing ~$100 per PS3, yup, they win!

Both are going to wither for awahile.

And I suspect when they fade, it will be similar to the Laser Disk. Just enjoy the disks and player of whatever format you have.

I also bought an SACD player a few years back and I have maybe 10 discs. I have no regrets about the expenditure - I got to enjoy a killer audio format on a killer sound system and it brought me goosebumps. Worth every penny.

And I bought a Fisher tube amp to see what that sounded like. And I bought 6 Academy speakers to see what they sounded like. I guess my point is that to me this hobby is about having fun with new stuff and widening my experiences.

This is hilarious.

Yup, itsall over .

You have seen enough of my other posts to know that it was with dripping sarcasm that I said the "done like Disco" part :)

Personally I'm waiting for a burner that I can install in one of my computers, HD or Blu-Ray, don't really care which one. ATAPI or SATA, I don't care, I just want it to fit in a drive bay. I saw one blu-ray burner for $450, that was a bit much, think I'll wait for the war to settle.

I also bought an SACD player a few years back and I have maybe 10 discs. I have no regrets about the expenditure - I got to enjoy a killer audio format on a killer sound system and it brought me goosebumps. Worth every penny.

And I bought a Fisher tube amp to see what that sounded like. And I bought 6 Academy speakers to see what they sounded like. I guess my point is that to me this hobby is about having fun with new stuff and widening my experiences.

Hey Doug, still enjoying those Academy speakers?

Which two movies are included in the box? Will all the 7 movies be picked among that short list?

This player can only play up to 1080i and 720p, no 1080p.

So the only motive to buy it is to get the 7 movies.

Not matter which format win this purchase is not bad even it's not very good.

Hey Doug, still enjoying those Academy speakers?

Yes, although right now only 1 is in servce as a center channel between my Chorus speakers. When the basement is finished, I may press 2-4 more into service as surround speakers.

This player can only play up to 1080i and 720p, no 1080p.

So what? I think its hilarious how everyone puts down certain devices because they're "only 1080i." Do some research on 1080i vs. 1080p and I think you'll be surprised.

Unless you have the monitor that will scan the full 1080p (a function of screen 'size', not simply scan rates), you are better off with 720p over 1080i. While the math equivalence is not linear, you might think of 1080i as ~540p as it still requires 2 interlaced horizontal scans to 'equal' 1 progressive scan per frame.