Are we alone ??

oldenough

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The future has a humorus way of appearing in exactly the form SciFi predicted it would take, yet not resembling our expectations or assumptions. This hit me like a tonne of bricks a couple of years ago. One of my partners had just gotten a BlueTooth headset for his phone and taken to wearing it all the time. I was standing in front of him having a conversation about some mundane thing, and all of a sudden it was like someone pulled a curtain over his face. He stopped talking in mid-sentance, had this far away blank expression on his face, then starting talking in what seemed to me to be gibberish, completely unrelated to anything we'd been talking about. Then i realized he'd gotten a call, and was talking to someone only he could hear. It was like the BlueTooth headset was plugged directly into his brain, and completely took over when the call came in.

Then it hit me. It was like watching a scene from SG1 or any other SciFi show where the population is enslaved by the ever present Net (always capitalized) that dictates thoughts and actions to the helpless masses through implants on the side of their heads. Holy crap. I have met the future and he is us. Now I can't help but be fascinated by the number of mindless automotons I see walking around with wireless headsets in their ears, their attention and consciousness focused on something else, someplace else, far away from their physical body. The future done snuck up on us when we wasn't lookin.

I don't really fear that some AI is going to suddently develop consciousness, infiltrate the Web and the Net and take over control of civilization like some crazy Sarah Conner nightmare. But what could easily happen, and wouldn't look too much different, would be some terrorist (or bored 8th grader) unleashing a virus that DID infiltrate the Net, DID take down power plants, communication systems, MAE East and MAE West with devistating consequences.

As you wish, but the moment you say anything is impossible you place yourself in a long line of individuals who were proven wrong by history.

I go with the scifi guys myself. "The universe is not only queerer than we imagine, it's queerer than we CAN imagine."

Dave

Whoa one minute, just where did i say that anything was impossible?

Physical evidence suggest that every 28 thousand years north america gets covered with ice sheets miles thick. During these senerios ocean levels drop to a point that the contenental shelf actually becomes the coast line. Off the coast of asia is a pyrimid with sone steps, but the problem is the pyrimind is 30 meters below the surface of the ocean. There are aritfacts that exist around the equator that are massive and old, and it is not clear who built them. There are large shperes that are alleged to be positioned in alignment with all the planets and moons in this solar system to scale. And there is the buisness of the runs ways of south america which can only be viewed from the air. Mechanical hearts and clocks have been found in layers 10's of thousands of years old. Skulls have been found around the world with holes cut as a result of surgery and the holes have healed. Every civilization has myths of a great flood with limited surviors (melting of the ice caps). And then there's the buisness of atlantis.

fritz, you may want to read Ages in Chaos and Worlds in Collision, both by Immanuel Velikovsky, in which he attempts to explain why large numbers of bodies of tropical animals have been found frozen in the Arctic, among other things. His work is controversial but interesting.

One explanation of why Atlantis has never been found is the theory that it is Antarctica and that it was located in the south Atlantic until there was a slippage of the Earth's crust that sent it to its present location, where the buildup of ice obscured any evidence of human habitation. Check out the Piri Reis map.

There is evidence that humans (or pre-humans, at least) lived on the island of Britain as long as 400,000 years ago, while the earliest evidence of human occupation in Ireland goes back to only 8000BCE, because the last ice age scoured any remains from the island when the glaciers advanced over Ireland. Who knows what civilizations existed before the last Ice Age?

I have read quite a bit about this and find the THEROY quite plausable.

Earth crust shift makes global warming seem like a preferred alternative.