The rest.....of the story (Palladium!)

Amy

• Moderators
Amy, some of us (well, at least me) would be interested in what exactly happens when the final "voicing" is performed. What is the role of physical measurements, what is the designer's role, is there a group of listeners making comparative judgements? Is the same music track used repeatedly etc. What all goes on with this? Who all is involved?

Good Luck,

-Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm sure someone else is better qualified to answer (I'll ask around for you), but I'm somewhat familiar. The acoustic engineer--in this case, Chris Perrins of Damon's podcast-- will make the initial adjustments (we sometimes call him Tweak), the reference point being the principles of Klipsch that we have held for 60 years...

Then a group of employees, usually engineering and product development (but I like to sneak down there too) will audition them, say what they like, what they don't like, and do A/B comparisons with something similar on the market. We'll point out any weaknesses, then Tweak will be back at tweaking. This can happen several times before it's ready for final auditioning, which will include the VPs in engineering, sales, and the corporate executives. Once they give their seal of approval, the tweaking is done and specs are measured.

I'm fairly certain we don't voice exclusively to meet a certain spec, although measurements certainly go on during the process--rather we go for "how does it sound and feel" above all. You can't spec emotion. [:)]

The acoustic engineers usually have their own demo material that they are very familiar with to do voicing, so they have a similar reference point every time. When we audition them, we have several standard demo selections, and people will bring their own as well.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then a group of employees, usually engineering and product development (but I like to sneak down there too) will audition them, say what they like, what they don't like, and do A/B comparisons with something similar on the market. We'll point out any weaknesses, then Tweak will be back at tweaking. The acoustic engineers usually have their own demo material that they are very familiar with to do voicing, so they have a similar reference point every time. When we audition them, we have several standard demo selections, and people will bring their own as well.

Be SURE to include classical music among the selections!! Many will expect a speaker line to do fully as well on classical as on other kinds of music. Past Pilgrimage demonstrations have tended to emphasize hard-edged, sometimes electronic, music with a lot of strong transients that show up very well on Klipsch speakers. However, I believe that these types of music will actually obscure some speaker strengths and weaknesses, that classical music will uncover.

I sent a packet of classical CDs to someone in Klipsch a few years ago, and I would be happy to make further recommendations.

Larry

• Moderators

I cannot wait to buy a Palladium sub and dissasemble it,to prove my theory is correct. Big Smile Just for kicks ,beefed up RT-12d ~ Palladium sub.

The Palladium P-312W uses new 12" drivers--one active, two passive (yes--improved versions based off of the RT-12d drivers), a new, more powerful amp, an entirely new cabinet (which is larger and far more robust than a RT-12d) and an all-new touch-panel interface. It will retain the Room Correction function and all of the features found on the RT-12d. We cannot speculate on the performance difference between the two since the 312W is not voiced yet, but you can imagine a difference given that it has a larger cabinet, a bigger amp and improved drivers. And it is designed to complement the performance capabilities of the P-39F.

More to come!

• Moderators

Be SURE to include classical music among the selections!!

We absolutely listen to all kinds of music when we voice, including classical! You should hear the demo CDs these guys have. Talk about your mood swings!

Thanks Amy, they truly look beautiful indeed.

2 questions though...

* What about the center speaker - any shots available?

* I would almost literally die for a Klipsch THX Ultra2 upgrade (something above my current KL-650) "based" on the 3-way Palladium design. And rest assured - I WILL keep asking and suggesting this for a very long time to come [6]

Any comments from the tech guys about this possibility?[:)]

I cannot wait to buy a Palladium sub and dissasemble it,to prove my theory is correct. Big Smile Just for kicks ,beefed up RT-12d ~ Palladium sub.

The Palladium P-312W uses new 12" drivers--one active, two passive (yes--improved versions based off of the RT-12d drivers), a new, more powerful amp, an entirely new cabinet (which is larger and far more robust than a RT-12d) and an all-new touch-panel interface. It will retain the Room Correction function and all of the features found on the RT-12d. We cannot speculate on the performance difference between the two since the 312W is not voiced yet, but you can imagine a difference given that it has a larger cabinet, a bigger amp and improved drivers. And it is designed to complement the performance capabilities of the P-39F.

More to come!

sorry amy but I lost interest as the market now is 13 inch or better! oh how the times changed

Jay,

[:D] The 13 or 13.5" drivers used by JL and SVS are not end it all drivers as you may know(ahem LMS-5400...PM sent [:D] ).

It was Deon who if I remember well said the 12" in the RT-12d are more 13"'s. And having one I can certify that(unless my measuring tapes are all crooked !).

The main lacking among Klipsch subs is very deep bass,below 25Hz. Maybe the tune has slightly changed,a subwoofer(any sub)in a company's upscale lineup (and it is a good one belive that)...MUST be tuned just under the 20Hz. Say 18Hz tuning,if you do not want to loose eficiency too...much.

I hope this new sub is solid @ 20Hz. The RT-12d and RSW15 are what I call solid to around the 25Hz mark.I understand very well the choices made as the vast majority will be so impressed they will not even notice. I

• Moderators

The bookshelf speakers I believe will retail for around 3k, but that has not been finalized. No specs yet, we haven't even heard them yet, let alone measured them. [:)] I'm really looking forward to them.

LOL, sorry you will lose out then, Jay. Remember, bigger isn't always better. Smile

And actually, these measure 13", but are called 12. I have no idea what the logic is behind that.

it seems the market now for deep bass starts at 13.5 inches like jl and svs.... 12s are soo 2005 [:P]

And I have the monster 18 inch tc sounds lms 5400.... so 12 inch doesn't cut it when my quad 3/4 inch magnets are 11 inches wide!