Now Spinning - Rek O Kut

philtubes

I'm nearly finished with my Rek O kut project. I built a 6 layer birch ply plinth, stained and lacquered, installed a spare Denon arm and Denon DL-110 cartridge. I still need to make a nice armboard, I used a piece of 1/4 ply for the time being. The sound I am getting is truly amazing, once I get used to the performance I'll send off the Idler Wheel for some new rubber. Amazing sound for little money!

Phill

post-26823-13819360205242_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately its not the Rek O Kut company of old, just using their name. It's not just the Rek O Kut (ROK for short) that I like but it's the old idler drive tables that just have a pace and rythym thing going on that you wont find with belt drives. I'm posting a picture of the underside of the ROK, notice the size of the motor.

post-26823-13819360218916_thumb.jpg

This particular model Rek O Kut (L-34) is very easy to mount in a plinth, all you need to do is cut out for motor clearance and make a hole for the tonearm shaft. I would love to be able to open up the motor for cleaning and lubing but it looks like it's a sealed unit. Anyone have any experience with these type of motors?

Phill

On the motor, leave it alone if it is working well. Never lub an electric motor unless you know exactly what you are doing. Only a few require it and they will have zerts in most cases.

As to size, I am reminded of the time I went to the old KWKH studios in Shreveport, LA to do an audition for the Armed Forces Radio and Teleivsion Network. They were in an old hotel and vintage 1930's. The turntables were in solid concrete pedestals poured with the floor. The motors were about 8' in diameter and probably a quarter horse. The platters were transcription size, probably weighed 40 lbs and would come to speed in a rev. Awesome.

Long gone...

Dave