Jubilee Questions for a Possible Aquisition

Speakmeister

I have a few quesions I am hoping some of the Jubilee people can answer.

1) I noticed that the depth of the Jubilee cabinet is claimed to be 24.5", is this accurate?

2) If it is 24.5" deep can you get through a 24" door by rotating the cabinet so the door never sees the full depth?

3) Will it be an improvement over a full blown Altec A-5 system?

4) Is a jube really worth it? ( can pm me if not appropriate for the forum)

Thanks for the help.

1) I noticed that the depth of the Jubilee cabinet is claimed to be 24.5", is this accurate? Yes.

2) If it is 24.5" deep can you get through a 24" door by rotating the cabinet so the door never sees the full depth? I don't think so.

3) Will it be an improvement over a full blown Altec A-5 system? The only guy that I know that can actually answer that is Tom Brennen, and he doesn't show up much here anymore. The bottom end should be improvement, maybe the top would come down to personal preference.

4) Is a jube really worth it? ( can pm me if not appropriate for the forum). It's a lot of money, but so is a new set of Klipschorns. Based on that, I would say yes.

Thanks for the help.

I've got some prosound experience involving the some of the Altec systems, including the A-5. If given a choice based on sonics alone, I would go with the Jub, but I can't say that Iv'e ever heard them in similar enough environments to be absolutely sure...

1) I noticed that the depth of the Jubilee cabinet is claimed to be 24.5", is this accurate? No, I don't think so unless my Jubs are "non-standard production" articles (a subject all its own...).

2) If it is 24.5" deep can you get through a 24" door by rotating the cabinet so the door never sees the full depth? I get 23.7 inches for both the bass bin and 402 horn with K-69 attached.

3) Will it be an improvement over a full blown Altec A-5 system? When we buy something, we look at relative merits of each product, but after we buy, we look at the absolute characteristics of the product we have. I'm sure you'll be happy with the A-5s if it's an economic question. Pay particular attention to the availability of driver parts over the long haul if you are going to stay with the drivers you buy initially.

4) Is a jube really worth it? ( can pm me if not appropriate for the forum) (See "3)" above.) Well, I have to say that I'm still amazed at what I hear 6 weeks into ownership. My wife doesn't think they're ugly now...

Thanks for the help.

4) Is a jube really worth it? ( can pm me if not appropriate for the forum)

I'm biased (seeing as I too made the choice)

The real question you need to soul search is...

Do you want to REALLY buy something like this... find out that you LOVE it... want to share that with others and get some of the same crap dished out to you from the 'heard-nots' and put up with their diatribes about how it can't sound that much better?

It seems to take someone with a bit of masochistic tendencies to own a pair of these.

Didn't you want to replace that solid oak, stained & hand rubbed with leaded glass inserts door you have with something more contemporary, like a hollow core cheapie? [:|]

1) I noticed that the depth of the Jubilee cabinet is claimed to be 24.5", is this accurate? I've got mine apart so measurement was easy and total depth for both the K402 assembly and the Jubilee LF Horn measured 23.125"

2) If it is 24.5" deep can you get through a 24" door by rotating the cabinet so the door never sees the full depth?

3) Will it be an improvement over a full blown Altec A-5 system? There are many design advances/reasons why I believe it should be but as to doing an actual listening comparison I can't help you.

When I've spoken to people interested in understanding the sound of the Jubilee most of us own(Jubilee LF/K403/K69-A) I begin by trying to find common ground on the different speakers we both might have heard and also what is important to that person in sound reproduction and the music they like.

4) Is a jube really worth it? ( can pm me if not appropriate for the forum) How can anyone really answer that for another person but for what is important to me in sound reproduction it was very much worth it!

Thanks for the help.

mike tn[:)]

Hey Speakmeister

I believe you would find about all Jubilee owners would be glad to talk with you if you e-mail or PM them. Everyone of them that I've spoken with are very nice people and most have experience with Khorns and other Klipsch models that you might have heard!

You are welcome to e-mail me through the forum and I will be glad to respond and if you leave a (phone #) I will be glad to talk with you in person which is always the best way to communicate for the things you are asking IMO.

I will tell you(or anyone on the forum) just as I've told others that have contacted me that I don't want to talk anyone into Jubilees because that is something the individual should decide but I will be glad to tell you my experiences, perceptions based on those experiences and any other information about the Jubilees that I can give you if it will help you.

mike tn[:)]

Thanks for all the input so far. I am still not sure if they will fit through the threshold they would need to pass through. Thanks for the offers for speaking in person, that will probably work best.

A buddy of mine has Klipschorns and Altec A-5's and I would chose the A-5 over the Klipschorn based on listening to his system. The A-5's have some crossover EQ but other than that are stock. The Klipschorns are stock exept for new caps.

If you're thinking about buying something as expensive (and good-sounding) as a pair of Jubilees, the cost and trouble of removing a door and perhaps the doorway trim to get enough clearance to get them in the room should be a very minor factor.