Is Punk 30 years old?...and Clash reminiscing

Audio Flynn

Listening to remastered London Calling at a pretty robust SPL.

As a novice soundman in Detroit born in 1960 I saw quite a few Punk (NW) acts in the late 70's. Never saw the Clash though. Any body ever see them live?

The host of bands of that era had a live energy that I rarely find in the current day. Were the bands as hot as we thought live? Or were they just and excelent genrational agnst fit with a mere few media / informational distractions compared to today?

Excellent Punk Acts I saw:

Elvis Costello

Talking heads

Bowie

RockPile (Lowe and Edmunds)

Oingo Boingo

Pretenders

New York Dolls

I am sure I am forgetting a few. Still cannot beleive Punk is 30 .

By the time "Punk" was hitting, my concert going days were 95% over! "New Wave" on PBS radio was the next craze I enjoyed!

Never saw in person Pretenders, Talking Heads,etc., but enjoyed most on MTV,M2 when they used to play Music videos, almost exclusively.

New York Dolls

David Johansen, Johnny Thunders, and crew, did they cause a ruckous or what? David went on as Buster Pondexter, and his album, David Johansen Live was a fine album. Johnny died, and the rest,plus David did an album acouple of years ago, that got good reviews, forget the name. AUDIO, you have to remember the SEX PISTOLS did that tour of the Southern Honky Tonks, and found out why they had chicken wire up. Johnny Rotten, Sid Vicious, oh my goodness .............and who could forget, The RAMONES, TELEVISION ..........ah yes, you're showing your age ..... [;)]

Johnny Thunders up close back stage was the scariest Junkie I ever saw.

Punk without Junk just never got there for a few unfortunate souls.

James Honeyman Scott witht the Pretenders had such amazing live solos; studio he was pretty restrained. Sad he ODed. He never was replaced well.

Chasing the dragon ISN'T COOL ................... So many left behind !!!! yet, jerks like Nikki Sixx brag about falling asleep with a needle in his arm, he is a punk !!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing how the years pass us bye. Do You like LONDON CALLING ? Is that Live Clash, thought about getting it, but for some reason, I hold back ...................

I saw the Clash in 1978 in Cambridge, MA on their first tour of the States. They were supporting "Give 'em Enough Rope", their second lp. Bo Diddley opened for them(!) . Suffice to say it was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen, and I've seen pretty much everyone worth seeing when it came to punk/new wave.

London Calling is a great listen. Very diverse lp. While it sounds nothing like it, it's their "Exile on Main St". I love it. For a rawer listen, try their first, eponymous lp, and find a way to listen to their early, non lp singles(you can find them on various compilations).

I'm So Bored With The USA..................

On the way home from Atlanta last week, I hit one of the buttons on my car radio. It was some high powered Hispanic station. I couldn't understand a word, but the music was far better than the regular rock stations i've heard recently.

More dynamics in the music, better arrangements. Far different variety. The lyrics may be awful, but I enjoyed it for the hour or so I could get it.

Bruce

I'm So Bored With The USA..................

On the way home from Atlanta last week, I hit one of the buttons on my car radio. It was some high powered Hispanic station. I couldn't understand a word, but the music was far better than the regular rock stations i've heard recently.

More dynamics in the music, better arrangements. Far different variety. The lyrics may be awful, but I enjoyed it for the hour or so I could get it.

Bruce

ummm..........I'm So Bored With The USA.............is a Clash song

When I was in college I got to see The Ramones perform in Roslyn, NY. As a young Ensign stationed at Little Creek I got to see the following band:

• Iron Cross (multiple times)
  • Iggy and the Stooges
  • Cro Mags
  • The Dictators
  • Patti Smith
  • New York Dolls
  • The Dead Boys
  • Lou Reed
  • Unatural Axe
  • The Angry Samoans

I saw Costello, but don't see him as a punk act, or the Talking Heads, more like new wave guys. I can't believe Joey and Tommy Ramone are dead, it is depressing. The Stooges, now that was a hard core band, what broke them up was Ron Ashton getting drafted by the Navy (we get all the talent). I had a friend who lived in Manhattan so we used to take advantage of weekend liberty and jet up there in my 1972 Olds 442 w/the W-30 package.

Today, I never play those guys at full blast, my taste in music has changed, as has my taste for really high volume. I spent 22 years in Swift Boats and SWCC, so I am happy to still have my hearing. I really loved the spirit of the Clash 'White Album' much as I like the 4-Skins, AC-DC, The Dropkick Murphy's and anyone who exudes energy, some stuff by the White stripes.