Teac X-2000R service.

oldenough

My Teac reel to reel has sat idle since i inherited it from a relative a few years ago. mechanicaly everything is functional, and it seems to play ok. The problem is it dosn't want to record, if i turn the record level way up then a badly distorted signal gets through. Prior to it coming into my ownership i know that it was used on a regular basis. Would sitting around unused have caused any problems ? The heads are clean and look to be in good shape. Thanks.

I just read on the TAPE PROJECT FORUM That is if some tape recorders sit around without use....Some caps and memory bats will discharge..and some recorders should be turned on once a month to reform memory.....Thats new to me.

All I know is you're KILLING me with that fine looking machine there!! I miss my Akai Gx 747 that I gave (yes) to a good friend... Of the several things I've given away like that (Akai 747, Pioneer CTF 1000, turntable, 2 boxes LP's, Yamaha CR2040, dbx 3bx, dbx 100, Audio Control C-101) the RTR is probably the one thing I wish I might have given second thought to.

Coytee,

When you get tired of that old dreadful DBX 5BX-DS and DBX 14/10 and get ready to put them out to pasture you can toss them my way, hell I will even pay postage and insurance. [:)]

That Teac is a reel nice unit!

Not sure on repair facilities for Teac I used to have an R-888X and R-999X cassette deck that I loved before CD's took hold. The R-999X was a Nak Dragon slayer. Perhaps a web search on authorized Teac repair facilities, or lay your hands on some schematics and take it to a competent electronics tech.

Yeah i guess i'll have to find a service facility. Did a quick search of the Vancouver area but couldn't find anything for R2R or Teac. Anyone know of anything maybe in NW Washington ? I don't really want to ship. Yes i did have the monitor buttons in the right position, Thanks

What it won't record? You don't want an old broken reel to reel. No body uses those these days anyway. As a gesture of good will, I'll pay to have you ship the door-stop to me. I'll make sure it doesn't find it's way to any landfill. [;)]

I believe it still uses a record/play slide switch activated by a solenoid. Try some DeOxit on it.

LOL Good try Wardsweb i'll give you first dibs on it.

Good thinking though with the slide switch. Do you know where its located, as in should i find it just by removing the case, or is it hidden away needing further stripping down. I ask cos if i remember correctly you have one of these ?

Remove the feet and the side screws. The case should slide off the back. The unit will still function as normal. The long slide switch is located on the PC board that is flat across the bottom. Not to be confused with the board that runs up and down the back of the unit. To make sure you have the right one, press the record button and watch which solenoid is activated. Once you know which one, spray it with some Caig Deoxit or similar switch cleaner/lube.