Ever find yourself in a similar position?

Cornman

Ok, I have been trying out my Cornwals (that I dearly love) for the past couple of years with a wide variety of gear. Not quite yet able to afford my dream equipment like VRD's- Pcats- Mc275, 300B's etc. But I have had a tubed Conrad MV55, Mc2505, Jolida, & a whole slew of the vitage quality receivers -Harmon Kardon 930, -marantz, Pioneer 1250-, etc. etc....most all used with a Cary SLP30 tube preamp that I am still using (thank you very much Speakerfritz). It has all been a great leaning & growing experience that I am happy I pursued...Buttttt I just dont seem to be able to ever get completly settled or comfortable with my sound allthough it has improved a lot. Does the quest for audio nervana go on for infinity or do some of you actually find contintment with your system?

Adding fuel to the flustration & confusion, I have on some occasions made the mistake of selling one piece of gear before auditioning it side by side with the newly acquired piece. I dont know about you but my ears memory is just not good enough to know for sure which piece of equipment I thought was best among the top performers. Of course I can hear & appreciate the obvious differnce between the lower cast stuff & the Mc 2505 for example. But I am trying out a Sansui AU717 amp. for the past few days & I am quiete impressed, but that nagging voice in my head says if you still had the Mc here to directly compare wth the Sansui....???...

Know what I mean..? [*-)]

Cornman

Thanks for the comment Groomlakearea51,especially because I saw you post today in the garage forum regarding the Sansui. Those comments had me really second guessing the quality of my ears. Because as I said I am impressed with the Sansui, & at least in my room I do not find it to toooo cold, powerful & clear & not as warm as the Mc for sure, but a pretty decent sound all in all.

Cornman

CM: The "cold" or "clinical sound", in my opinion, really comes from the extremely low distortion the 717/818 and especially the 919 (.008 THD and IMD at rated power) were noted for more so than anything else. One of the reasons that folks disliked (or liked...) the 919's is that they had no "loudness" or bass boosting mechanism. It was truly a WYSIWYG type of amplifier. BTW, are you running the 717 "flat", or with the tone controls. Try it with the tone controls defeated and no loudness switch and you may see what I'm referring to. Very clean, and very "flat". The 717 really was more purchased by the "rock and roll" gang, as I recall. Those of us who bought the 919's, well we just turned the volume up more to get the desired window breaking effects from the Klipschorns..... Room acoustics probably plays a small part in how it will sound. Also, on a tech note, watch the temperature on the chassis over the right rear quadrant. If it seems to be running "hot", it may need to have offset adjusted. I always used a chassis fan on the 919's, probably not entirely necessary, but they lasted for 25 years without a problem before I finally parted with them in favor of the 11000's.

Yes area51, I have all tone controls defeated. In fact I am only using the amp section (which I read are mono block design) of the Sansui. With the tube Cary pre in front I have assumed the tone controls were unusable anyway, also feel that the tube in front warm up the ss a bit.

Cornman

How old are the Corns, i.e., are the xover caps due for a freshening? You might have had different reactions to the various electronics if updated xovers came closer to the intended sound. Given the fact that you're searching has produced non-conclusive results, are you fully satisfied with the way the speaker sounds?

Larry

I just dont seem to be able to ever get completly settled or comfortable with my sound allthough it has improved a lot. Does the quest for audio nervana go on for infinity or do some of you actually find contintment with your system?

Know what I mean..? Confused

Cornman

What you describe is just part of being afflicted with Upgraditis. The only way to help with the pain is to upgrade something in your system. If you are lucky the pain will subside for 6 months maybe a year before it gets to bad again![;)]

YES I know what you mean! Can drive a person Mad![:S]

One day my system sounds outstanding and another day it sounds just okay.

I would be okay but you have mean people posting all the new toys they get and the fever starts to climb again.

I guess it could be worse and be addicted to things that will kill you.

Took me awhile,but am now very happy with my system. Three Cornwalls,Bec tweet's,Altec 511 horns and drivers with DeanG's networks. Blueberry pre and Dynaco MKIII's NOS rebuilt.Once in awhile I'll the hook up the SX1250 just to remeber how much I enjoy the tube sound. Good Luck in your quest!

Larry

Yeh, I've been there. One thing that's really important to know, and it took me a long time to know it: lots of amps sound "different" and this is not necessarily the same thing as "better".

LarryC has asked an important question about the age of your CW's. If you have not had the crossover caps replaced they need it. This will make an improvement in sound that is inexpensive and more dramatic than any given amp change out.

Good to hear so many can relate. Yes, I did replace the Cornwall crossovers about a year ago with Bec's Sonicaps & it was a good thing.The sound was defineatly cleaner. Jbsl sure would like to get togeather again with you, perhaps at Travis's Jubilee party if not sooner. Daddy dee I think you have pretty much sumerised the experience that we all need to remember " differnt is not necessarly better"it's just a matter of finding the flavor that suits you.

If it wasnt for the amazing joy that Klipsch brings into my life I would not even be searching for perfection, & what a terrible loss that would be in my life.

So klipsch on brother's,

Cornman

I am very happy with my setup and am not going change anything. I almost parted with my VRD's to go with a MC275, I had a moment of clarity and I told the nagging little upgraditis bugs to shut the hell up and get out of my life. I feel I have reached MY nirvana. Just look at my setup, how much better can it get. I use the horsepower analogy. To get my Sportster to 95 hp cost me around 3 grand. To get 5hp more would cost me the same amount and I would probably not notice the difference. Losing 20 lbs of my midsection would make a bigger difference then spending a couple thousand to get the added hp: point of diminishing returns is reached. Sure I could get some Jubilee's, but are they $7500 better sounding than my Khorns? Don't get me wrong, I love the Jub's, I have heard them, but there comes a point. Hope this helps

I almost parted with my VRD's to go with a MC275, I had a moment of clarity and I told the nagging little upgraditis bugs to shut the hell up and get out of my life.

Smart decision. The Macs are nice and look great but they can't compete with VRDs IMO. Your "moment of clarity" comment was more literal than maybe you intended? Some folks like that lush Mac sound and it benefits certain recordings but overall I like the clarity and detail from top to bottom that the VRDs provide compared to any Mac I've ever owned or heard (please no flames - just my preference).

As for me, I've been done upgrading gear for a couple of years now and have focused my attention on my music collection, primarily vinyl. That's a disease of its own and there's as much room for upgrades with LPs as there is with gear and the costs can be just as outrageous!!