Poor-ish early 70's La Scala purchase, pitfalls to look for?

gearfreak

Howdy all,

Newbie here interested in purchasing some older early 70's La Scala's.

As they appear to have been used thoroughly (or abused), and (re?) laminated at least once...

They apparently were used by a band, so I am interested in knowing what structural/driver/overload pitfalls to look for overall.

e.g.

-Should I (somehow) inspect the horns for cracks or damage?

-Do the diaphragms need to be replaced if old, or is it just a matter of 'they work' or they don't work'

They both played, though the woofer in one seemed weak (remained such, in light of L/R switch of speaker cables at the amp and repeat of same test track)

I believe the Mid's are K-55-V

Networks are AA.

Other description:

-the laminate would need to be removed. I would probably do so and simply sand and paint, or is that Sacrilege?

-Cane grillwork (stapled or tacked on) will need to be removed outright. I would not bother to replace.

I assume I'd want to recap or replace (ALK etc) the networks. Hat anyone got a ballpark price on what their re-cap job on an AA cost them? (i.e. using moderate priced and not entirely esoteric $$$ audio caps etc)

I plan to ask Klipsch support separately about cost/price for a replacement woofer...

Feel free to offer a ballpark idea of what the value would be as-is if you have an opinion. I have no pics, but can describe from memory in more detail.

Thanks for any input!

If they're that rough, you might want to wait until a better pair comes along, unless you really want to get involved with a project before you get around to doing some listening.

With many things, from speakers to cars to houses, the fixer-upper often winds up costing more than the item in good condition.

Thanks All.

Colterphoto1, Good point about the buzzing possibility.

When you say seems - do you mean of the laminate only, or the cabinet's plywood itself?

(I guess 'run away fast' is my obvious answer to the plywood aspect)

I think (think) they are structurally sound at the plywood level. Unless there is some characteristic stress point that I should be looking for.

Corners might be ground down from dragging or walking them. Will have to look.

Maybe the cane grills can be saved. They are classic.

On the drivers, for the most part, if they work the diaphragms are o.k. Sometimes on the older K77 tweeters (with the round magnet) the alinco magnet gets weak resulting in a low muted output. It's not a huge problem, probably easier to replace than get remagnetized if it's a problem.

The AA crossovers will need new capacitors to sound right. Good news, it's not expensive and will essentially restore them to factory spec.

Thanks All.

Colterphoto1, Good point about the buzzing possibility.

When you say seems - do you mean of the laminate only, or the cabinet's plywood itself?

I think (think) they are structurally sound at the plywood level. Unless there is some characteristic stress point that I should be looking for.

Corners might be ground down from dragging or walking them. Will have to look.

By laminate, are you meaning something like melamine or formica? If so, that wasn't done by Klipsch, so that could be replaced. We were all thinking the plywood laminations (I think). If the cabs are structurally sound, dings can be filled and they can just be painted. $400 or less would be good...

A new woofer would run about $100. You can order those from Bob Crites (BEC on the forum) and he can give you prices on recapping and cleaning up the crossovers, diaphragms, etc.

Thanks all.

The cane looks like somebody stuck thier foot through one and did a little hokey-pokey...

The other was not much better. Too many rips to repair unless someone was really motivated. If I end up with them, I'll try to salvage it for someone.

Fwiw: Going rate for the K-33-E (eminence) from Klipsch replacement seems to be $130.

Thanks for clarifying the laminate question Marvel. My poor choice of words.

Yes, what I was referring to I would assume is formica.

I will do a search on 'cleaning' the diaphragms or try to contact Bob. Did not consider that cleaning was an option either. Good point.

My 1983 designer LS, lacquered birch, original cane grills, came to me in 9/10 condition, local pickup, via CraigsList, for $850. If the set you foundreally are as beat-up as you say then I'd cap out at $250-$300, and don't be tempted to do a Greg928-style restoration on them...

If one can get them for 250-300 bucks, the thing I would do in the case is flog the parts on eBay. Make a few bucks and throw away the cabinets if they are that trashed. Or find some cabinets in better shape to swap divers into.

With Crites K33E non-cast woofers, Crites CT-125 tweeters, K401 horns, and K55V mid-drivers I managed to luck out on locally. With a pair of networks thrown in for no cost, I'm still into it 650 bucks.

And that doesn't count all the sandpaper, minwax bondo, and the eight billion hours of hand sanding on these 1989 raw birch LaScala cabinets I got for free. They still aren't finished......I need to re-veneer the tops...and then maybe stain them dark...

I'll be $800 into them in the end, and doubt I could ever break even. I do love that horn-loaded bass...

And that doesn't count all the sandpaper, minwax bondo, and the eight billion hours of hand sanding on these 1989 raw birch LaScala cabinets I got for free. They still aren't finished......I need to re-veneer the tops...and then maybe stain them dark...

I'll be $800 into them in the end, and doubt I could ever break even. I do love that horn-loaded bass...

Sometimes even free is no bargain...

Sometimes even free is no bargain...

Nope. I'd say one would be better off finding cabinets with drivers for a good price.

I wasn't really looking for a bargain. I just came across cabinets in decent shape from a local audio friend and was curious to hear what the LaScala horn bass sound was like.

With my homebrew 2A3 stereo SET amp, the bass is rather impressive sounding. Even in spite of the LaScala's bottom end promptly taking a nose dive at 45Hz in my room.

Thanks to everyone for contributing, especially the value assessments. As such I think I'll pass on these ones for now, or wait until the seller comes down on the price a bit. I've got some others to investigate as well... will post back what (if) I end up with some. Hopefully I'll be able to report on how some sound with my Almarro a205a SEP.

cheers,

gearfreak

• 3 weeks later...

...and now we have a pair of 19?? LSI BT's (industrial 2-piece La Scala's, Black Textured)

...and the bass bin mod threads are making my head hurt.

First, tweeters and Crossovers though, will post anew to see what suggestions there are on opening up the trapezoids.

thanks all!

post-29972-1381936635799_thumb.jpg