Cornwalls

Lukezter

Hello one and all,

I have owned the Cornwalls for over 20 years now and I have always wondered about wattage.

These "Loudspeakers" are rated at 100 watts max. I haven't been able to buy a high quality

amp yet but it won't be long now. I am looking at McIntosh amps but I was hoping someone

could perhaps suggest some other brands for me(maybe not so expensive but good nonetheless).

How many watts can I actually safely use to power my Cornwalls?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Welcome to the forum Lukezter. How many watts huh? Well Bluesboy use to DJ some parties and dances in big halls with Cornwalls powered with Phase Linear amps. The amps would be clippping with the red lights flashing and the Cornwalls went right on making music. Abuse? You bet...but the speakers took it. The Cornwalls will sound really good on a handfull of watts preferably from a tubed amp. We have a couple of guys here who make some fine amps I am told or you could go the vintage route. Tell us about your equipment and room size and we can get some opinions before the evenings over.

I've run the Cornwalls on bridged Adcom GFA555s before (900W).

They sounded a little scared, but they didn't blow.

I don't see much point in buying anything more than 200W, and even then you will only use that much infrequently, and in a large room.

All Watts are not created equall.

Before I got in McIntosh, I use to run high wattage NAD and Adcoms etc and thought I needed "Headroom". Then I saw the light

Running my Mc-250's in mono creates a 100W mono block. The sound was much more powerfull from the lower wattage MC than the high powered cheaper amps. And I no longer blow fuses [:)]

JM

Perhaps IBSlammin will chime in. He knows exactly the amount of power required to launch the voice coil out of a Cornwall's woofer.

I don't doubt that for one second !

hehehe..........dtel, you know me too well[;)]

It's been a while, but I think Bob calulated the 121db launch point to be somewhere around 350wpc. We had just installed new mid horns/drivers and tweets.[<:o)] The K600's would chew on your pant legs at that volume me thinks![8o|]

tc