Heresy power source

R.D.

I am not willing to get involved with tubes. I'm okay with new, used, individual components or a receiver.

I just want power source that will make my 1980's Heresy's sound their best in my living room ("best" considering no tubes).

I also have a pair of KG4's from 1987 and would on occassion drive these as well.

Usually I listen to Jazz or current popular top 40, at average to slightly above average volume.

I am intimidated by the level of knowledge by what I've read, so please speak plainly.

Suggestions?

Welcome to the forum...and don't be timid.

Could be a wide price range, do you have a ballpark amount you would want to spend?

I am using an old HK430 SS receiver on my Heresy IIs. They can rock pretty well. Should be able to find one for < $100. Only 25wpc, but it's a decent receiver. You could try one to get your feet wet.

I'm not too up on newer SS equipment. What are you using now? How large is your living room? What kind of furnishings are in it (carpet and rugs, heavy drapes will soak up the high end, etc.)?

Bruce

I have a Sony TA A400 integrated amp.

I was thinking in terms of a Yamaha uner $400.

Now that I'm reading the forum I'm starting to believe the harsh sound I,ve been experiencing isn't my imagination.

My room is about 30' by 14' rugs w/ hardwood, some furniture drapes... fairly bright sound...

My Yamaha ht 5890 runs my Heresy II's just fine, although, I use a sub ............ not enough bottom without it. You are only cheating yourself by not trying, or least listening to Heresy's on tubes ............. tubes aren't that hard .......... but, for SS try, HK, or Marantz, Pioneer, many good choices ....

Nakamichi STASIS (TAs or SRs), Yamaha...my vintage was the CA-610 II Integrated or CR receivers...McIntosh MAC receivers...MAC 1900...LOTS of good choices...I remember saying when I first came here that I didn't want to mess with "all the work" of Tubes...now I have lots...

Bill

The older HK receivers sound very tube-like to me. I can't believe the bas out of my HIIs, and I have them up on 30" stands. THere should be plenty of SS gear that you can get, that will be totally satisfying to you. It would be best to find someone with the gear and go have a listen, or be able to try it out in your own home. first...

• 2 weeks later...

beware of older hk receivers they have no dc protection i had 730 receiver blow a altec 15 woofer by turning it on cost a100$ to recone have a tech install dc protect or be sorry dont like hk too many probelms sony have no power clip out to easly i used pro audio amps.....................................

Sounds like you're pretty set on not using tubes........respectfully, just curious why?

I just picked up a pair of Heresy's and intend on using them with tubes.........mostly based on reading and being a member of this forum. My experience with tubes so far in the last year or so has really got me intrigued.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other...........I also am in the process of finding what will work best with the Heresy's at a reasonable price (used).[*-)]

Since most people find that Heresies sound better with a sub, you may want an amp or receiver with a sub out so it's easy to connect a subwoofer. Yamaha, Denon and H/K receivers are popular among forum members.

Adding the sub may make the sound smoother, since the bottom will be filled in better and the Heresies may be running at lower volume, since they're not producing all the sound.

As for power, more is better than less, since a more powerful amp or receiver will be working more easily and will be running in its low-distortion power range.

If you have a turntable or are thinking of playing vinyl in the future, take note that most lower-end receivers don't have a phono input. You can still connect a turntable without a phono input, but you'd have to buy an add-on phono preamp.