For Picky

oldtimer

Fellow Allen Park (where I'm from) native, Refalski is out (injured) for the Wings, too. It was hard to watch the Wings lose #6 in a row last night, especially to the lead NHL team behind them. They now stand at 87 to 79 points ahead of Dallas. I am hopeful they will pull out of this slump soon. Maybe they need this brake to recoup before heading into the playoffs. One never knows what Babcock is thinking; he's impossible to read! - GO WINGS!

It should be interesting to see what happens tonight. I'm no Avs fan, but they will have incentive as a team on the playoff bubble while the wings are early cup favorites. The wings will be coming off a tough shutout loss, last night you couldn't blame the goalie, last night no matter who won it would not have been the goalies' fault.

I definitely do not blame the goalie, #35 Jimmy Howard for last night's loss. He make 30 saves, while Turco made 28. The Wings weren't playing with their usual heart and haven't been lately. They need to speed up and shoot the puck more; the same old problem they seem to run into almost every season at one point of another. I'm confident they'll shake out of it soon. -Tonight would be a good time to do so! LOL

Did anyone see the Detroit/Colorado game last night? what is the opinion in the Detroit press over the Lapierier (sp) hit on Lidstrom? I thought his elbows were somewhat raised. Maybe the RW's could get a little nasty attitude over this and show some grit down the stretch and through the playoffs. Time to start hitting....

I saw it. It was a clean hit, the elbow did nothing really and was more of a follow through. The Avs looked pathetic, sure they are injured just like the rest of the league. The wings looked good against dallas, just could not get one into the net, it was a great goalie duel. Yet the wings against the avs still did not have that relentless effect they have had recently. Still they won 4-0. The stars have found a way to win without zubov, the wings can do the same without lidstrom.

Did anyone see the Detroit/Colorado game last night? what is the opinion in the Detroit press over the Lapierier (sp) hit on Lidstrom? I thought his elbows were somewhat raised. Maybe the RW's could get a little nasty attitude over this and show some grit down the stretch and through the playoffs. Time to start hitting....

Hopefully this will be an emotional boost the Wings need and one they can use to their advantage. Should wake them up a bit and get them moving towards the playoffs.

Hopefully this will be an emotional boost the Wings need and one they can use to their advantage. Should wake them up a bit and get them moving towards the playoffs.

I hope that is the case, the RW's have sewn up things so early in the past, that they seem to be flat come playoff time.

Here's what Tuesday's & Wednesday's Detroit newspapers had to say about the hit:

The Detroit News (Typically the more conservative of the two): Articles 1, 2, 3

The Detroit Free Press (Typically the more liberal of the two): Articles 1, 2, 3

I saw the hit and believe that it was a forearm hit up high, not an elbow. Although it was considered a legal hit, it was obvious (to me anyway) that it was placed up very high with much emphasis on the head and jaw, assumably with the intention to do harm. I didn't like it and I didn't feel a veteran player of Lidstrom's caliber and stature deserved to be hit like that. I was glad to see Downey defend his captain...twice! I think that Nick's injury inspired the team greatly Monday night. It's a shame that's what it took, but I am so looking forward to Friday's game against Calgary.

Unfortunately, I missed this game which is too bad because I miss the raw emotion that games like this bring. Not trying to hijack this thread (let me know if you object & I will start a new thread) but I really am not too enthused about hockey these days. I used to be what you would consider a die-hard fan in that, when we were first married and w/out cable, I would have my mom (who lived about 3 miles away) tape the game (playoffs and intense rivalry type games mostly) and I would go get it after the game was finished and watch right then. Remember triple overtime in Anaheim? Yep, watched it after the game finished and went to work the next day. I say all that to say that I will often take a peek at the action when the Wings are playing, but just don't find myself getting into the games as I used to.

Now, my life has changed dramatically since then with three daughters being born, one with a serious health issue that has focused much of my attention elsewhere, and that is most certainly part of the equation for me. Yet the emotion of the game just does not seem to be there anymore. I think that when they essentially removed fighting and, not just cleaned up but sterilized the action, it removed much of that emotion for me. The fights were a great part of the game and led to some very emotional rivalries (see Wings/Avs mentioned above). These rivalries really draw the fans in and even peek the interest of non-fans, drawing them in to watch some of this great sport.

Glenn, I totally appreciate you taking the time to link to the newspaper articles from the Detroit news papers. We happened to be in an Old Chicago resturaunt (Pub style sports bar) in Denver that night. I have been to regular season hockey and playoff hockey at the Pepsi center in Denver and they always pass out sign's that say "Red Wings Suck" . When the Av's fans show me the sign's I always open up my button down shirt and show them a t-shirt that I had made that says "Avalanche Swallow" in a big bold red font. That usually shuts them up....

Well, I read in yesterdays paper that Ken Holland had said they are going to make Darren Mcarty an offer and bring him back to Detroit. He's currently in Grand Rapids now playing for the Griffins, and is having an excellent season so far. In his opening night at home he had a hat trick and scored the game winner just the other night also. Yzerman was here watching him play, so I believe there is quite a bit of interest there & he should be able to help out & add a little more muscle to the Redwings.

The Wings organization did in fact make an offer to McCarty's people over the weekend. They are awaiting a decision from Darren's management. If it is a go, Ken Holland has said they will sign him but they may leave him in Grand Rapids until he becomes stronger because he is not yet quite “ready-for-primetime" physically. But, it would be great to see a clean #25 dressing for the Wings again.

In the meantime, the Wings have lost 8 of their last 9 games. [:S] It's not been easy to watch, but at least they still lead the league with 6 points on Dallas and 10 points on the rest of the pack. [H] -Glenn