Jim's Oiled Oak H-II's

Groomlakearea51

About finished with Jim Hodges' "oiled oak" H-II's and I thought I'd show a couple of photos. They "started" as a pair of HBR's that I got from Daddy Dee in a three way swap that I'm still confused about LOLOL...

The veneer is red oak, and the trick was to match the hue with Jim's oak Cornwalls and oak Academy's. We (actually Jim) "discovered" the secret... Minwax #230 Early American stain. I sent him a bunch of sample 'squares' and he started looking for a stain that "ages" the new veneer. The stain causes the hue to match 20+ year old oiled oak from Klipsch. The stain is a light neutral brown with some golden highlights.

Oak is tricky to work with because it's an almost "textured" surface. Hand sanding all edges and veneer "intersections" with a small block is an absolute because oak tends to have very small "splinters" when cut or trimmed. Use of a very good veneer trimming router bit is an absolute must for working with oak. primary bit used was a Freud, and finished with a Porter Cable (PC) 1/4 flush cut bit. I've found PC's router bits to be one of the best buys lately.

Veneer is 10mm, flat cut (like factory used), AA grade. Glue used is "heat lock". Final finish is a 320 grit; very smooth, but still allows the grain of the wood to highlight well with the stain. Oiled with almond oil for the moment. Jim will probably final oil them with Watco's "Rejuvenating Oil". The front edgebanding was hand cut from the original sheet to get the exact "match".