Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Feb. 18

thebes

It may be gray outside but already the days are getting longer. Can't wait to drag my bleached whal, stuffed full of extrra pounds from a winter's gorging, down to the beach for a swim and a frolic or two.

For nostalgia's sake, on the way down I'll probably through this one on. Sure my woodies turned into a softy and my little coup's been turned into a genericmobile, but in my mind's eye I'm a skinny kid on the cusp of a summer romance and I've got sand in my shoes.

The Beach Boys, "Songs From Here and Back" , rock, cd

Live concert of, previously unreleased, of all their great songs plus 3,yes count them, 3 new tracts. Well recorded and bust out fun.

So what do you have to share this week?

Surf music : )

The Tiki Tones

http://www.tikitones.com/music.htm

band.jpgidolplea.GIFsubsavage.gif

One of my favorite modern surf bands.

Of course you can't mention surf music without mentioning The Ventures. It took the rock n roll hall of fame long enough but they are finally being inducted this year. The Ventures are gods in Japan and have influenced many Japanese bands like The Plastics, The Spoozys, Polysics, Melon, and ExGirl.

image15141.jpg

Another week, another disc .............

SANCTUARY. : the J. GEILS BAND ................... re-mastered CD .............. 1979

Of all the new,(old), discs I've gotten lately, this one disappoints me. Was eager to receive it, and now that I got it, I'm having mixed feelings about it. This was to be the last of the J. Geils discs I wanted to fill out my collection, anything they did after this, I did not like. Mind you now, that their biggest selling hits, and albums came after this release.

I have stated many times, that J. Geils is my favorite of the Boston Bands, Aerosmith, Boston, the Cars, and J. Geils. They sold less copies than the others,but they had a spirit the others didn't have. An R+B Band will balls, rude, crude, party-time band to the max, a raw edge full of emotion, until SANCTUARY. These are well crafted, well played, and good songs, but no bite in the a$$ music. It is probably their most polished release, and that's where my problem lays. I miss the wild, just sort of insane ranting of Peter Wolf, the musical punch of the band hitting on all 8 cylinders, to coin an old phrase,"Where's the Beef"? Like I said, there are some good songs on here, no doubt, and maybe, just maybe I'm being alittle to picky here. Maybe after a few more listens my opinion may change, it's just such a change from their other disc's that I'm taken off guard. I find that sometimes I get a disc, and right away don't care for it, but as time rolls on, it gets played more, and I re-think my original thoughts. That maybe the case here. I've gotten so many new discs lately that just blow me away, that I'm not giving this disc a fair shot ...... Time will tell !!!!!!!!! .... They still are a great band, and will remain one of my favorites .............

A couple of days and a few listens later, it is a good album, just a tad too tame for this oldbuckster's taste, but a must have disc for my collection. It's almost like they realize this is the beginning of the end for them, they had a great run to this point, but their biggest commerical success came after this disc .......... whatta' shame, but I've got what I consider their best work covered, and that's good enough for me ...

how about 'southern culture on the skids' for a kinda beach music sound............

I'll be snackin' all night,it's alright alright,I GOT A 8 PC. BOX! These cat's are too kool,great music.

I'm gonna suggest you go to Dizzler.com,no sign up or download,just type in your favorite band for music and videos.You can hear some of jams you ain't heard since you were a teeny bopper.