Do you buy used or new cars?

Macho Nacho

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If that's what you want it is .......... Figure your price, then shop around, you'd be surpised !!!! If you can afford an AUDI, why not a BMW, VW is a great German Car, alot of choices, depends on your range of what you want to spend ............ alot of 0 % interest out there, that frees up extra cash for a better model ..........

The best deal out there (for average mileage drivers) would be a 3-5 year old vehicle. You'd be surprised at what is available if you take the time to shop around. Used cars with less than 40k miles on them are not uncommon, someone else depreciated it for you and they generally do not require any major repairs.

My recent vehicle history:

'97 Buick Riviera purchased in 2000 (from a dealer) with 38k miles for $13500 (sticker was around $35k). Sold in 2003 for $7750 no major repairs.

2000 Lincoln LS purchased in 2003 (autotrader.com) with 32k miles for $16k (sticker was around $37k). Just listed for sale and should go for somewhere in the $7k range with no major repairs.

2000 Lexus LS400 purchased in 2007 (after ebay listing expired) with 63k miles for $16k (sticker was around $55k). Should depreciate less than the previous two.

IMHO and all that jazz

Used or a Program vehicle.....The Firehawk was the last NEW vehicle I ever intend on having!

Actually, I was seeking a pre-owned Audi A4 myself, UNTIL......I spoke w/a few Audi owners who said the maintenance costs are insane and the closest GOOD dealerhship is 90 miles away in Annapolis, MD.

Now I'm thinkg 35mpg or BUST!

I saw one local and I was quoted $17,000 with AWD, silver very clean body. 

That car would cost you 18500 in NYC. I was looking for an Audi A4 for my 18 year old.

03 Audi A4 = 03 VW Passat @ more $

Same chassis, engine, drivetrain and electrics. Badges and minor bodywork are the only differences aside from the pricetag. That being said - there are known electrical reliability issues with those as they age 50-80k, along with oil path delivery concerns.

Can currently find 03 Passats, pretty well loaded, 9k to 13k buy it now prices on ebay.

MN, I purchased a 2003 VW Passat (Audi is a rebadged VW), w/ 67,000. I Love this car. Your Audi will preform well with Normal Maintence and hold its resale value better than American Models. It will also outlast the Payment Book............

IF, it is not too expensive, get an extended warranty with it. Check with your Local Audi/VW dealer. The Only Know problems with those models, is sludge buildup in the Engine which causes, overheating. VW/Audi are issuing Coverage (no cost) covering the engine for 100,000 Miles. I use Valvoline High Mileage Oil to prevent this.

The only other downside is they use High Grade 92 Octane gas.

I could Malibu or Saturn new for close to the same price, what do you think?

Audis are well-built cars and fun to drive, but the parts are really pricy by North American standards. If you plan to sell it before the mileage gets too high, that won't be a factor, of course.

i'd love to buy used, save some $$$ .. but it seems every time I'm ;looking, I can buy new, for the same price ..

we are talkin' 2-3 year olds here ..

I bought a couple of 2-3-year-old Ontario Provincial Police (like State Troopers) cruisers at the monthly auction and was really happy with them. A 2-year-old heavy duty car with only 80,000 miles on it for $3000? Sold! The Impala lasted me 8 years and the Caprice (5.7L, fuel injected, 4-speed auto, bucket seats) served me for 3 years, until I got injured and needed a modified van.

I had the Impala re-painted in civilian colours (black and iridescent silver blue in the stock pattern) and the Caprice was white, so that was okay.

Those B-bodies may look like big iron, but they're half a ton lighter than my modified Dodge Grand Caravan, and come with much larger brakes. They're fast, fun and hard to break. The handling is really dialed in too, with the heavy-gauge frame and big sway bars and all that good stuff. It gets even better when you fit some V-rated Bridgestones. The parts cost very little as well. $17 brake calipers and $70 rebuilt alternators, for example (those are mid-'90s prices).

Driving cheap (but fast) cars like that freed up money to buy sportbikes and audio stuff, plus make mortgage payments, so I've been mortgage-free for years.

As a bonus, when you get pulled over for driving enthusiastically, you're not seen as a hot-rodder or the like, as used to happen when I drove a Corvette back in the '70s, so you don't start the discussion at a disadvantage.

I just bought a 2003 Audi A6 3.0 Quatro from CarMax. I could *not* be happier. The car is immaculate, is mechanically sound, and I *love* it. Bought the 48,000 mile extended warranty also, I'll let you know how that works out.

Previously had a (new) Mustang GT, (new) Merkur XR4Ti, (new) Subaru Legacy Turbo, (new) Subaru Outback, (1 new, 1 used) Subaru SVX (2 of 'em), and (new) 2006 VW Jetta. The Audi, which I could not have afforded new (long story), is by far the best car I've ever owned.

I recently bought an AUDI A4. It was an end of lease deal for a woman that worked for me so I got it for a pretty good price. It had 30K on it. I put a new suspension in it ( stasis) and an engine chip, and new brakes and brake lines. My intent was to use it as a track car. I have to say I didnt much like the car. Sold it ( after investing afair bit of coin) pretty quiclky and went back to BMW. Not to say that AUDIs do not make nice cars. My wife has an A3 and loves it. My A4 was a handling machine but it wasnt a BMW.

post-12293-13819361157258_thumb.jpg

macho nacho that is a b6 a4. It tends to run well or really not and will cost you. My friend has almost everything go wrong with two audis he owned. But he still loves it. Its a love hate thing with audi. Some Audi dealers are also horrendous, he was charged for repairs that were not authorized and was covered at a different dealer under waranty. Basically he used one dealer and they had his cc number on file and charged him something 2000 dollars to repair the turbocharger when it should have been warranty based. His credit card company called him and asked about this charge in which he said he had no clue and then the dealer was chargebacked. He brought his audi to another dealer, filed a BBB complaint in which there was over 100 complaints to that dealership in the last 6 months.

Well they're not terribly fast or sexy, but I'm a practical kind of guy and Honda Accord fits me nicely. I always buy new and from the same salesman at the same dealership. I get all my maintenance there and they take good care of me. My mechanic knows me by name. They're cheap to keep, get great mileage, good resale price even after many miles. I get the manual transmission though, so I can pretend I'm driving a sports car.

My history is that a new Accord lasts me 10 years or 200,000 miles, whichever comes first. I buy em new, follow the recommended maintenance instructions, and only once have been stranded (when I lost an alternator on the '85). Then I sell it myself, and haggle over price on the new one.

Last time it took me exactly 2 minutes to buy a car. To salesman Jerry - 'Accord EX- what colors does it come in?' ... 'fine, I'll take the blue one (whips out checkbook)'. Jerry says 'great, I'll have a manual shipped up here for you, it'll be here Tuesday, lets do lunch'. That was about it.

The Audi looks nice, but isn't maintenance costly?