FLEETWOOD MAC: RUMOURS (DVD-AUDIO)

RobCurran

Well, I can't draw any comparisons because this is my first DVD-A and I don't have an older version of this classic rock album (CD-

cwm1.gif). But I think it sounds AWESOME!!! The six-channel surround is really good (wish my center channel speaker was a little higher end). The 96 kHz two-channel stereo brings out the full potential of these old recordings. I cant believe it could get any better than this.

I dont want to get into an SACD/DVD-A tug-of-war, but everything Ive read claims that DVD-A is more flexibility than the SACD. The DVD format allows for two-channel or 5.1/6.1 surround processing.

------------------

A/V AMP: Yamaha DSP-A1

TV: 29" Sony Trinitron

DVD: Toshiba SD9200

CDP: Denon DCM-370

MAIN: Klipsch Heresey II

CTR: Klipsch KSF-C5

REAR: Infinity SM-65

(crap)

SUB: Infinity BU-1 (crap)

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 01-13-2002 at 10:51 AM

My current DVD player (a KLH) is not DVD-Audio compatible, but it still plays the DVD-Audios in surround sound. Rumours is a great disc & the DVD-Audio is fantastic. It sounds so live - like your right there with the band. The DVD player (with DVD-Audio & DTS)is going to be the next up-grade to my system.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

Mike, I don't think James wants the 2-channel mode either.He said he wanted the band right there in front of him,you know,like in a concert hall.

Like I said before, 2-channel is dead.It'll just take some longer to realize it.JMHO,OC.

Keith

could i play DVD-A disks in my computer? I have a 16x Pioneer DVD player and PowerDVD 4.0 XP with DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 decoding... I want to start a collection of DVD-A disks but don't want to have to go to the guest house where my setup is to listen to them, would like to use my computer and my ProMedia 4.1's and/or 5.1's.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Justin, some DVD-A's have a DD 5.1 track on them. I have Metallica's Black Album and it works fine on my computer. I use a Pioneer 16X DVD drive with WinDVD 2000. It sounds great but I can't wait until I have an actual DVD-A player. Smile.gif

Both Rumours and Hotel california work on my PowerDVD4.0 XP equipped PC, although I can't hear the highest resolution sound. I can hear the DD 5.1 sound and it is impressive.

Most magazine reviews seem to think that SACD, at least multichannel SACD is better than DVD-A, so I'm hoping to get a SACD player or SA equipped DVD player before too long. I'm hoping for more Eagles stuff in either high res format, like the Greatest Hits Volumes 1 & 2. Also some Pink Floyd stuff like DSoTM, WYWH and The Wall on SACD perhaps.

I would also say that after listening to Hotel California in both DD 5.1 & DTS I keep favoring the DD version. Although DTS reveals a few details in some of the songs I've never caught before and that DD might have missed, it seems to my ears at least that DD 5.1 has an overall richer and fuller sound. Just my opinion for whatever it's worth. Everyone's ears are a little different of course. Sometimes more than a little different. Another thing to consider is that it just may be how the PowerDVD reproduces DTS and that it(DTS)may sound much better on a higher end HT setup. I'm sure it would.

quote:

Like I said before, 2-channel is dead.It'll just take some longer to realize it.JMHO,OC.

Just Picked up Rumours on DVD-A myself. I threw in the Surround Sound version and thought "well this is cool" Then I switched to the Stereo version of "The Chain" I was blown away!!! I never understood people who would just sit around between two speakers and listen to music. I can honestly say I am a changed man. Keith, a week ago I would've agreed with you. Now....lets just say I'll be checking out more High Quality 2 channel stuff.

------------------

My Home Theater

Yo, Mike! It's like Keith said; I want concert sound from a live concert recording, not some cockeyed experiment in knob twiddling that puts Lindsey Buckinghams gee-tar somewhere over my left shoulder. Of course, that is probably an over-statement...I haven't actually heard that or any other DVCD-A yet. All I know is what I've read in mags and on the net. But, from what I've read, most DVD-A's seem to fall into this ping-pong, sound-around category. It may sound impressive as all get out, at least at first, but it has no correlation with reality. Or even common sense.

Don't get me wrong; I'm really anxious for multi-channel music to go mainstream, and DVD-A may be the format of the future. We'll see. I just have no desire for any surround music format that puts sound sources behind you.

Surround for music done right can be great, but those rear channels should be primarily for room sound - reverb, echo and crowd noise. Of course that is a more subtle effect, and not as apt to make quick, showroom floor converts to surround sound, as the more obvious, less tasteful approach of spreading instruments and voices all around the room might.

Ideally, I'd love to see one format or the other go belly up, or, preferably, see universal format players come to market, as they indeed are now beginning to (Pioneer, Apex). THEN, we need players with digital outputs. But that's another can of worms...just my humble opinion (again).

------------------

JDMcCall

hey jd, sure that isn't a flashback to something u read

about quad? Biggrin.gif

as always it's up to the mix. but f.e., the eagles hell freezes in dts surround does mostly keep the instruments up front w/ the crowd noise & maybe certain instruments coming from behind but more like reflective noise off the back of a hall. after seeing some concerts at kemper i'm sure u'd agree a lot of concert sound is reflective. Smile.gif

though some mixers may be totally clueless in how to reproduce the concert atmosphere, u might be pleasantly suprised in the realism of a live show on a lot of the better surround music disks. & u don't have to worry 'bout some dude puken on ye Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I'm not getting that Lindsay B guitar sound over or above my left shoulder stuff, but what I do know is that it sounds great. I'm also thinking about getting Steve Miller's Fly Like An Eagle, Foreigner's 4 and maybe the Jimmy Hendrix concert DVDs all in DVD-A

This message has been edited by Marshal on 01-17-2002 at 01:02 AM

Originally posted by boa12:

hey jd, sure that isn't a flashback to something u read

about quad? Biggrin.gif

Hey, be careful there; people might think I'm old or somethin'! ha

<<after seeing some concerts at kemper i'm sure u'd agree a lot of concert sound is reflective. Smile.gif>>

Kemper? ugh. Give me Starlight. I've heard some great sounding concerts there.

-Doug

------------------

JDMcCall

jd, lol, yea i meant it wasn't good reflective sound at kemper. saw the stone there a few years back. thank god i was close to the stage Smile.gif starlight good - last saw foghat there. anyway if it's a good surround mix they'll still keep most up front & just have some good reverb like effects from the rear, like when the sound bounces back at ya from the hill behind starlight.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

if it's a good surround mix they'll still keep most up front & just have some good reverb like effects from the rear, like when the sound bounces back at ya from the hill behind starlight.

Boa,

That's it exactly.

I saw Elton John at Starlight way back in 81 or 82. Best live sound I've ever heard, and yes, the reflected sound from those brick 'partial' walls was a big part of it. Fantastic experience.

------------------

JDMcCall

Multi channel music is great as long as they don't put music in the rear channels. There are some great concerts that leave the music in the front as it should be,and leave the audience and hall ambience in the surrounds. This really imulates a live performance. Train,Roger Waters, Eagles,and Yes have some really good DD5.1,and DTS concerts.